Black screen to restart .how to undue last change

paulette1234

36 posts in this topic

Delete 2 files. Drag them to the trash. You might be asked for your password.

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

/Extra/Extensions.mkext

You should be able to start WITHOUT -v -f

I still don't have optional resolutions still just the one..

Wondering if this thread has something to help..

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=147394 this is my exact card plugged into DVI

The wiki says to use myhack...http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0#NVIDIA_2

8400GS 256MB PNY

EFI-Strings (tested on [105] myHack installation method)

I already downloaded it but afraid to install

Regarding -v -f…you are using the i-Boot CD, right? When the CD boots, you see an Apple at the top of the screen and the drives at the bottom of the screen. You use the right arrow to select your boot drive. Before you hit <Enter>, type -v -f

They should appear right above the drives. Then hit <Enter>.

If this works and gives you multiple resolutions, then there is a file we should move to allow you to not have to use -v -f on every boot. Ultimately, if you install Chimera or Chameleon, you would not need to use the boot CD.

I am using eye boot it appears for only a second so I need to be quick..

If I install the ihack thing it gives me choices of Chameleon maybe I should try it...but what if it goes panicy?

I am not using the eye boot CD in my drive anymore, its installed...I also did remove the files you mentioned above....

What works is the resolutions choices I get only if I boot with -v -f

I guess thats not such a bad thing to have to do that but.....

it wouuld be great to get rid of that boot method.

What will happen if I install chameleon with ihack?

Since you get the resolutions with the -v -f, lets try moving a file we previously installed. Download the attached file. Double-click it to unzip it and double-click it to run it. Then reboot. The file should move the previously installed file.

I tried to attach the file several times and it failed, so download it from here: http://www.filedropper.com/paulette

Installing Chameleon with iHack is a complicated way to just install Chameleon. There are separate, standalone packages for chameleon.

bingo :happymac:

Thanks for all your help rif, I really appreciate it..

A little about me..I learned mac starting with a mac 11ci with a system 7 :wink2:

Moved to to a Powermac Yikes for years imac then to Powerbook pro Titanium, worked as a DJ then the rest was histroy because I couldn't afford a new desktop G5 who can

Went to dreaded pc acer dell, omg hate them but worked just doing internet browsing and all.

Now because this OSX86 HAS WORKED I FINALLY have my mac back and can resume doing what macs can do...just about anything right!

THANKS!

I may venture into a new recommended to build board and install Lion or Mnt Lion but hey I am very happy with the solid feel of this OS and all is perfect so why fix it if it ain't broke, will have to see how some of the power apps perform before coming to any definite conclusions

Personally, I don't like some of the new features of Lion and Mountain Lion. But as time goes on, more and more software will require a minimum of 10.7 and then 10.8 so might as well get used to the mess as soon as possible.