Backup your own setup - How?

ludalex

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it's possible to backup your own OSX setup.

I mean, I just installed Lion on my custom made PC, and I want to know if there's a easy way to have your Apps settings, Icons settings, Dock settings, etc stored somewhere.

I'm asking because in a day or another something could breakup my system and it would be super-duper-cool to have a way to restore your previous workspace in a snap.

I know this is a noob question, but, Thanks in advance.

Super Duper--cool.

Super Duper does that.

If your kexts aren't needed they are usually just ignored anyway.

Maybe I'm not following your meaning.

Super Duper does that.

If your kexts aren't needed they are usually just ignored anyway.

Maybe I'm not following your meaning.

Oh, wait, so you weren't mocking me. There's actually an app called Super Duper to do what i was asking. LOL

Anyway Super Duper isn't free, so I'd rather go with CCC.

With CCC i basically backup the mac partition on another HD. When something goes wrong how do I restore it?

AFAIK, Super Duper has an infinite demo mode. You only have to put up with a nag screen and slower transfer speed. Other than that it's yours to use indefinitely.

It sounds like the route you want to take is System Restore.

Go to Disk Utilities and select Restore. From there you can create an image that should be useable on any machine (with a little work). :)

I should have used the emoticon earlier. I never mock anyone.

AFAIK, Super Duper has an infinite demo mode. You only have to put up with a nag screen and slower transfer speed. Other than that it's yours to use indefinitely.

It sounds like the route you want to take is System Restore.

Go to Disk Utilities and select Restore. From there you can create an image that should be useable on any machine (with a little work). :)

I should have used the emoticon earlier. I never mock anyone.

First, thanks for the help :)

Second, i want to make you an example: i'm currently using Lion on my non-MacPro desktop and soon I'll be buying a Macbook Pro. I just want to recover my OS customizations like Mission control configuration, Apps settings, etc. Maybe without even restoring a full system (that would be stupid as I'm going to a complete different hardware structure and will probably use Mountain Lion). What would you suggest?

Anyway, if I want to keep a backup copy of this setup for my current machine (the desktop), do you suggest that image backup from Disk Utilities is the best choice?

You are welcome.

I only own a disk of Snow Leopard so I never moved on to Lion yet. You should still have a migration assistant in either Lion or Mountain lion ( …lets you move apps, settings, etc… ) Let someone who has those systems confirm that though.

If my Mac Mini hadn't been busted I probably never would have been involved in this project. But it has proven to be very educational and fun at the same time.