kernel panic at initial run AND can't copy kexts onto hard drive with DP2

2 posts in this topic

so I'm facing a similar issue as that found here, but I can't seem to copy FakeSMC.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext onto the hard drive's /S/L/E though present in the USB installer's /S/L/E. That is, it copies without any error messages, but once I go into /[hard drive name]/S/L/E, neither of those kexts are to be found. I thought that maybe this was a newly introduced restriction from Mountain Lion with writing files to the /S/L/E of a hard drive while booting from another drive. So I created a dummy directory onto the root of the hard drive and tried to copy the kexts in there with the same results. So now I've confirmed that the hard drive is mounted into read/write mode, but that this issue that I'm having with copying kexts isn't specific to /S/L/E. I've managed to do this over and over from Snow Leopard on, so I don't know why I'd be having this issue now. The command I used was this:

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /[hard drive]/System/Library/Extensions/

any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

i think, if you want to use command line - which is OK! - you MUST use sudo !!!

Be carefully if your Volume (target) has spaces in the name - i would use drag&drop (from Finder) for Extensions to copy correct path .

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext drag&drop target Extensions folder here

ALWAYS after cp -R:

sudo -R root:wheel drag&drop target .kext here

Use kextwizard instead! Its much easier and also the permissions are correct (root:wheel).