Dual Boot W7 and 10.6 on PC

chickenbrothel

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I want to do a dual boot of Windows 7 and OSX on my PC, but I'm very new to all of this and I don't know if my specs will even work or if it's hopeless and I should just give up now. I've read [about my processor and motherboard] everything from "it's easy" to "it's impossible," so I'm looking for any and all advice anyone would be willing to give. Thanks in advance. Here are my specs:

AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T

Asus M4N68T-M

GTX 570

4 GB DDR3

Is this even possible? Thanks again.

Hello and welcome.

First off, usually you can get most any setup to work. It just depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put into getting it to work. Secondly, the best way to discover if your system will be able to run OS X is to try it. Go buy a retail copy of OS X and get yourself started. Lastly, there is only one version of OS X that your system will NOT work with and that's Lion (10.7) technically, it won't work with Mountain Lion (10.8) either but that is irrelevant since it is in pre-release stages anyway and isn't publicly available yet.

You're best bet is to purchase a copy of either Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6) to get the ball rolling. I'm not an AMD user but I will do what I can, within my means to assist you if you need further help. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Thanks. I appreciate it. It's good to hear that most any specs will work depending on the effort put in. As far as getting a copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard, I have 10.5.8 on my Mac G5, but I don't know if I have the disk anymore. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. But I will look and see if I have it laying around somewhere.

If you can't find or don't have the disc anymore then you're gonna have to buy another one. I suggest you get a copy of Snow Leopard instead for your setup as the specs you posted will likely have better compatibility with Snow than on Leopard.