Theres no option to change SATA to AHCI

Attackofwow

71 posts in this topic

Hello, have you tried reflashing the BIOS to a different rev to see if the option you want is in one of those?

Also, have you tried to boot OS X without having that option available? You might be able to get it working without it. Hope it helps :)

If you have boot options that include USB HDD support try installing to an external drive from a VM or using OSXModCD on the machine.

620 MT wasn't listed in Dell's support pages but I assume that just is another flavor of the 620 itself, so yeah, here you go. Download A02 or A00 of the BIOS rev listed on this page and run it from a Windows installation to install it. They should be pretty self-explanatory and have easy to follow instructions.

Once again, you need to have a Windows installation to be able to run and use these files. There exists threads and topics about how to reflash a BIOS using different operating systems such as Mac, or Linux but I don't recommend that. Those topics are for advanced users and can be dangerous to play around with. These files were designed to be run using Windows and that's the route you should go with. If you don't have Windows installed, install it first. Good luck.

http://www.dell.com/...rivers/us/en/19

• 5 months later...

Ok, i have patched A04 Bios for DELL Inspiron 620S and i got AHCI option enabled ...

I Have installed OSX Lion on my HDD and it works fine ...

Now the harder part, i'm looking for AHCI driver for windows XP ... for a real dual boot system ...

Original A04 Bios http://dell.to/HTcVvX

Patched one here http://www.sendspace.com/file/je91vr

----

How to patch Dell Bios to enable AHCI

First of all...

The H61 chipset is perfectly capable of doing AHCI.

It's a Dell choice to put the H61 chipset in IDE Compatible Mode only

Here's how you can enable it:

- grab the latest bios. (.exe) from dell support.

- launch the .exe and do not close the flash windows app. Grab all the file from the %TEMP%\randomname subfolder

- Get AmiBcp tool.( AMI bios hacking tool)

- Load MS-Axx.bin from within AmiBCP.

Modify the entry to make the SATA menu available (change from default to USER)

Modify SATA controller menu (change from default to USER) and (from IDE to AHCI option) and ( from compatible to enhanced)

- Flash. Now you have enabled AHCI and you can choose from IDE to AHCI entering in F2 bios setp ....

- Enjoy.

Best Regards

PippoX0

• 2 years later...

Hello

Just to clarify...

Many people and sites say: You can't install OSX if you don't have AHCI in Bios... They're lying....

You have two ways:

1st - Try update Bios to really see if AHCI option is unlocked

2nd - Use a kext Drive for you Chipset to allow your boot without AHCI enable in Bios

:)

• Like 2

Yes I know but in every major release of OS X I have to find an updated AppleAHCIPort.kext in order to install it, and this is frustrating.

The latest release of official BIOS A03 doesn't support AHCI, but if my chipset Intel P55 Express support it, can I follow the guide posted by pippox0 in order to unlock AHCI?

Hello

Never mod your Bios... it'll mess all... just in last case.

Try use this kext drive: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/88335-appleintelpiixata-kext-fully-working-for-all-ichx-mobo-all-sata-channels-working/

Put in Extra folder if you're using Chameleon to install OSX or in kext folder of Clover.

hi,

to PimentelX86 and Hervé

I got some experience to the ATA mode, I have the Dell XPS 410 old day, bougth it in 2007, I try to run OSX with it, got me first with iAtkos Lion, then took me awhile come to 10.8 Mountain lion, and finally Yosemite is up and running now, 

the Bios of this one, I downgrade it, and second thing I use the  AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, I am not sure It was modified or not but Yosemite see drive and boot and run vanilla.

the OSX see it as ATA not the AHCI

I don't know about bios mod, so I leave it is  un-touch, and I think it is safer. 

when I make AppleLPC.kext to load by add the string to LPC device into the kext, the system see 4 drive total from port 0 to port 3 periodical.

thank you all.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288301-yosemite-1010-previous-108-on-dell-xps-410-aka-dimension-9200-yosemite-show-4-drives/