Install from Windows?

5 posts in this topic

Tried the Windows 8 CP build, and hated it so bad, I want to go back to OSX. Mountain Lion to be precise.

Since I have Windows, I need to make sure if this will work:

Install OSX Lion in VMWARE Workstation (Windows). From there, prepare my USB disk with the installation files of Mountain Lion. Then, I boot from my USB disk to install Mountain Lion to my SSD.

And then, I am not exactly sure what to do :) How do I install Chimera 1.8 to the SSD? Can this be done from the VMWARE Lion in Windows? Or can I boot with the USB disk into the freshly installed Mountain Lion, and once I am there, can install Chimera 1.8 from there?

Or do I need to install another bootloader directly from Windows?

I'm kinda confused :)

As long as you have a virtual SL or Lion you can prepare the usb with ML on it, add the files that will allow the usb to boot on your pc. Restrat you computer, boot from the ML usb, install to your solid state drive. After installation is done, boot back into your Windows 8 with the vmware OS x, start your virtual machine that you created the ML usb with. Mount the ssd that you installed ML too in the virtual machine, from the vm install the boot files and bootloader to your ssd ML drive. Your done, restart your pc, make your ML ssd the first in your boot sequence. You should be all set, install your kexts to make audio, network, ect.. to work and you should be good to go

I understand everything you say, except this line:

"Mount the ssd that you installed ML too in the virtual machine"

So, basicly, just go into Windows, start the VM, and then inside the OSX Lion VM, I need to add the SSD I installed ML to? And then I can just install Chimera from within the VM to the SSD?

Thanks. Managed to boot into it. Installed the FameSMC and the NullCPUPowermanagement and the SmbiosList.

Need to boot with npci=0X2000 and GraphicsEnabler=1 and everything is fine. Just can't get my GTX 465 to work. After some struggle OSX seems to detect it as a GTX 465, but the resolution is still 1024x768 only. When I try to install the new Nvidia driver, I get an error that a driver is not needed on my system.

Hate this videocard!