7 replies to this topic

yonyz

yonyz

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello,

I've got this screenshot comparing snapshots of a video played by VLC and QuickTime with the Perian extension. As you can see, the VLC image is pale, something about the colors. I should mention that's how VLC plays the video on Windows 7 as well. However, I prefer the QT image, but QT has some audio/video sync issues. I think it doesn't skip frames. Anyway, can I get the same quality image on VLC somehow? (the left one is VLC, right is QT)

Posted Image

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,084 posts
Looks like the contrast level is a tiny bit higher on Quicktime.

VLC has a ton of filtering and image enhancing settings but they are hidden away deep inside the preferences menu. Click the 'show all' button and look for them in there.

yonyz

yonyz

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I can see them, but I have no idea which filter can produce the desired effect.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,084 posts
I gave you a clue already.

yonyz

yonyz

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Here's what I've tried: Preferences>Video>Filters>Image adjust> here I changed the contrast, and I even set brightness to almost zero, which should make the picture almost impossible to be seen. I hit the Save button, restart VLC and then start the video again, and I see no difference at all. What am I doing wrong?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,084 posts
Yeah you're right, that doesn't work for some reason.

Press command + E to bring up the video adjustment dialog, this one works in real time.

yonyz

yonyz

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I've tried messing with the settings for a few minutes, couldn't get the same quality of image, but I see some improvement. I wish QT could play 1080p mkv files smoothly.

coelomate1

coelomate1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I love VLC for its ability to play a lot of formats, but I feel like V2 has some bugs in it that maybe were not there in V1?

I haven't tested this, but some of the files of late that I've tried to play are causing V2 to stall (maybe they would cause V1 too, but I don't remember that happening).

One thing that is awesome about VLC though is it lets you choose your audio device right from the menu bar. I find that very useful.

I don't notice a picture quality difference on my set up, 1080p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VLC, QuickTime, Perian Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy