Some S/PDIF output issues

Riley Freeman

2 posts in this topic

I've been using the digital output on my onboard ALC883 fine for months using the optical output to an external DAC. Now I've replaced the DAC with a full receiver and am connecting to it using the coax output. In Windows everything works fine (as usual), but in OS X I'm having weird issues mostly noticable with system sound effects. I did some googling around and the issue seems consistent with the connection sleeping or otherwise losing lock. If I delete a file, the sound effect is delayed and played back very low. If I then empty the trash the sound effect is loud as it should be. Try again a minute or two later and it's the same story.

I didn't have this issue with the old optical -> dac setup, so I'm wondering if this is a known issue with coax and if anyone has any ideas how to fix it? I don't have a long enough optical cable to connect to the receiver and I'd prefer to stick to coax anyway if possible.

• 6 months later...

Going to bump this back up again. The issue stemmed from changing my smbios from MacPro to iMac. Switching back to MacPro solved the problem.

Now I'm on a Sandybridge system and would probably benefit from using a better matching smbios than MacPro5,1. But this S/PDIF output issue continues if I use a MacMini or iMac smbios. I'm guessing it's something to do with power management as the MacPro is unaffected.

Is there any way to edit the power management settings to stop them affecting the audio output?