recovering files giving input/output error

bugjah

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

This is a continuation of another thread, which remains unsolved.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=276561

But there were a lot of isues raised in that thread, and I only have one left that I really need to solve. I hope you don't mind me starting a new thread here to try to resolve that one major issue, as it is buried at the end of that long thread, with the relevant info spread throughout.

RECAP:

1) I have a Dell Mini 10V running OsX 10.6.7 with NBI 20100616212351

2) It has some sort of bootloader error - it hangs up with an EBIOS error after the Dell startup screen but before OsX is initiated

3) I can boot to a MacOsX utility USB stick, or to linux on a USB

4) I can mount my OsX formatted hard drive and copy off files

5) ...but some files are inaccessible. One folder in particular (one that I would really like to recover) I can "see" in terminal, but it seems to be some kind of corrupt directory. When I try to "cd" to that directory name, I get an input/output error.

6) Disk repair in OsX utilities will not repair the hard drive

I am thinking that my only real option is to reinstall OsX and then try to run my file recovery software hoping that the installation will not have written over the files I want to recover.

But I wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions... for working within Linux, for example, to repair the directory structure on a specific part of the disk...or...?

Many thank for any ideas!!

• 2 weeks later...

sory for the delay...

Red's suggestion above worked! I wanted to make a few notes on my experience for anyone else who is interested.

1) I had an external hard disk with one HFS (mac) and one FAT32-formatted partition. TestDisk being run through ubuntu would not write to the HFS volume, only the FAT32 one.

2) It finds A LOT of files and takes a really really long time (basically I let it run for about 12 hours)

3) It is useful to go into the advanced settings and limit the filename extensions that it searches for, but unfortunately there was no option for .ods files (NeoOffice spreadsheet), so I selected "other" as well as text, document files and a few other options to make sure I got the files I needed.

I then wiped my HD and did a clean install on my mini 10v, this time as a dual boot OsX/Ubuntu and it is running great in both operating systems. I will try to put together a separate thread here on how I was able to make the dual boot- I had some fits and starts and had to do a second clean install, but now it runs great, and the way I did it involved far fewer adjustments than most other forums I read suggested.

=====

[uPDATE] I wrote up that install guide and posted it here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=277094