Custom made rear i/o G5

Surferpro

40 posts in this topic

Hello,

I got inspired with all the G5 mods, now i started designing the rear I/O and i will be making a PCB for it so i can mod my own G5 case.

So far i found all the parts needed except the Optical in and out.

The one that i plan on making will sit on the back facing outside of the case and not mounted sideways on the case screws.

So far the design will include the ethernet, both FW's, 2 USBs and Audio in and Audio out.

Any inputs and suggestions are welcome.

Also if i see lot of interest in the idea, i might consider producing it and sell it to members,

In order to do that i need at least 50 members willing to buy it so it can be made.

Also tell me what will be considered a reasonable price for selling it.

Thanks

• Like 1

here is the design so far and i am still tweaking it, been busy with work and school

for the toslink, i did not find the ports, so i am thinking to use couplers instead and i will see how it goes, if anyone knows where i can get toslink ports that will be great and helpful.

post-164262-0-74953200-1331489899_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

If this could be made to accommodate the space that occurs between a standard m-ATX/ATX rear panel and the rear panel of the G5 case when a PCI card is mounted in the standard Apple PCI slot then it would enable a G5 m-ATX/ATX mod with NO external cuts at all!

If this is the case, I'll take quite a few off your hands if the price is right.

If this could be made to accommodate the space that occurs between a standard m-ATX/ATX rear panel and the rear panel of the G5 case when a PCI card is mounted in the standard Apple PCI slot then it would enable a G5 m-ATX/ATX mod with NO external cuts at all!

If this is the case, I'll take quite a few off your hands if the price is right.

As you can see from the photo, i planned it so it can be screwed to the back of the case and not be blocking anything while mounting the motherboard, i saw from other designs that it was a problem when placing the motherboard and attaching the pcb.

Once i get everything setup i will install it and take more pictures.

• Like 1

Nice, I'm currently making G5's to order so if there's anything I can help with in any way please don't hesitate to contact me. Im on here pretty much every day.

Just an idea:

Rather than screwing into the back of the case, you can get a tape (in the UK at least) called 'No More Nails - Instant Grab Tape'.

A 1m roll holds up to 50kg (I've had many conversations with the Mrs about sticking her to the ceiling with it)

This would give a very strong, electrically insulating and invisible bond between the PCB and the interior of the case.

Nice, I'm currently making G5's to order so if there's anything I can help with in any way please don't hesitate to contact me. Im on here pretty much every day.

Just an idea:

Rather than screwing into the back of the case, you can get a tape (in the UK at least) called 'No More Nails - Instant Grab Tape'.

A 1m roll holds up to 50kg (I've had many conversations with the Mrs about sticking her to the ceiling with it)

This would give a very strong, electrically insulating and invisible bond between the PCB and the interior of the case.

i thought about taping and i will test it to see if it holds well.

If you are going through with a volume purchase, I would be interested in several depending upon the unit cost. Please consider posting the estimated unit cost for the fab board.

neil

i am having a problem so far, the guy who designed and made the sample for me is in Europe and he shipped but i haven't received it and added the rest of the parts to it, i will be adding the USB and Firewire headers and give it some testing and make sure everything will work fine.

i asked if we can place an order of 50 units and i am waiting for an answer for the cost, and i will have to add the cost of ports from mousers.com

Doesn't that defy the entire point of keeping it unchanged, and also wouldn't that be a much larger cost than the others?

Wouldn't change the form (ports layout), but funcionality by replacing one old unused port by a modern one of a similiar form factor. Surely it would cost more and a lot of people may not be interested in adding this port, so I'm asking if this one could be done customized.