1 post in this topic

Because of some incompatible apps I need to dual-boot between 10.6 and 10.7, and thought the best way to do it would be to have two separate drives rather than two partitions on one drive. I use PC-EFI to boot the 10.6 drive (because it was the only thing that would work when I built the system), and ###### to boot the 10.7 drive now. Each drive boots fine, but insists on being Device 0 before it will boot: i.e., if the 10.7 drive is plugged into SATA0 and from the ##### boot screen I choose to boot the 10.6 drive plugged into SATA1, the machine resets to cold-boot condition and restarts. The identical thing happens if the 10.6 drive is plugged into SATA0 and from the PC-EFI boot screen I choose to boot the 10.7 drive plugged into SATA1.

Each drive boots fine -- as long as it's plugged into SATA0.

I think the boot sector holds the info about which physical device the drive thinks it is, but I have no idea how to edit that or to change it so both drives will boot without having to switch their plugs around.

Anybody encounter this? Is there a solution? Any suggestions are appreciated. I've tried to do all my homework on the issue before posting.

System: GA-EP45-UD3P, PNY QuadroFX 580, Apple CinemaHD. Ethernet, sound, everything works.