• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
nvidia released some lion (10.7.3) / macpro drivers today.
driver version is a bit older than the current 10.7.3 drivers (7.10.2 vs 7.18.11).

changes:
  • device id / Info.plist editing isn't necessary any more, since NVDAGF100Hal.kext uses the same "match all vga devices" method as the mountain lion kext.
  • opencl works ootb for gf100/gf110 cards (all others still need to patch GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib)
  • ATY_Init isn't required on mac pros any more

http://www.nvidia.co...f01-driver.html

Edited by cmf, 29 February 2012 - 07:44 AM.

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I think that there IS something significantly different here. Namely, in a Mac Pro there is suddenly no need for ATY_Init to enable Nvidia cards. They just fire up when they reach the desktop.

So I would guess that maybe these drivers will make Nvidia cards work more smoothly in Hacks as well.

Has anyone tried them?

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Has anyone tried them?

Hopefully I will get a chance to try them in a few days time - I have a gtx570 on order.

Carstiman

Carstiman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello, tried it with GTS450 and OpenCL won´t work oobt for me as in 10.8 too.
Cinebech is 2 FPS slower as 10.7.3 drivers in my maschine.

the best and stable results i get with the 10.7.3 (7.18.11) files and the 10.7.2 (7.12.9) edited GeForceGLDriver.bundle (2 FPS faster than 10.7.3)
and http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ ist working well with OpenCL and Cuda apps from Einstein and Collatz

tamorgen

tamorgen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
After installing this yesterday, I came up with two negative results, which forced me to revert to what I had working before.
  • Cinebench score dropped dramatically from my 10.7.3 (46 in 10.7.2. I upgraded to 10.7.3, and it went down to 35.67) build for both OpenGL (now 24.06) and now the CPU score is down to 2.05!
  • System would not go to sleep anymore.

Before I tried installing this, I had it working relatively okay. I had done this by:
  • adding my device ID to NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Info.plist
  • modifying GeForceGLDriver to allow OpenCL
  • editing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for power management
  • I used the MacPro 5,1 profile in my smbios.plist (and AGPM)
  • removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext
  • I also had to edit my Extra / org.chameleon.boot. plist to include <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1900x1200</string>. I know most of the walkthroughs say to leave the string blank, but I would only get a black screen with a white bar at the top at the bootloader if I left this out.
I'm wondering if anything I had to do to get it up and running before is conflicting with the new package, or if I need to go back and redo anything to improve my benchmark and get sleep to function again.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts

• opencl works ootb for gf100 cards (i couldn't test/verify this on my gtx 560 ti yet)

Not here, no OpenCL. GTX 460.

• System would not go to sleep anymore.

For me S3 sleep works, it goes to sleep, flashes power LED normally, but wake doesn't work. The monitor never comes on and I can't reboot or re-enter sleep using keyboard shortcuts. There's nothing in the logs. Sleep/wake worked fine with stock 10.7.3 nvidia drivers.

/EDIT - S3 wake fixed by adding the darkwake=1 kernel flag!

Starting Cinebench caused a lock up followed by a hard reboot! Nothing in the logs.

Like a headless chicken, I rebooted and ran Cinebench again, and this time got the "Fermi Freeze":

Feb 28 13:08:41 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 0000006e
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00080000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000 0000000f
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000081
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000

At least OpenGL Extensions Viewer works and the scores are the same as before.

tamorgen

tamorgen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Like a headless chicken, I rebooted and ran Cinebench again, and this time got the "Fermi Freeze":

Yeah, I think I got the Fermi freeze as well. I had forgotten to mention that. I just removed the package as quickly as I could after all the issues I had. Until someone has a definitive "Here is what you need to do to avoid these issues", I'm not touching it.

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I think that there IS something significantly different here. Namely, in a Mac Pro there is suddenly no need for ATY_Init to enable Nvidia cards. They just fire up when they reach the desktop.

So I would guess that maybe these drivers will make Nvidia cards work more smoothly in Hacks as well.

nice to hear that :)

hello, tried it with GTS450 and OpenCL won´t work oobt for me as in 10.8 too.

did you have to patch both GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib or just either one?

Xandros

Xandros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can confirm that GTX 285 and GTX 295, both for PC, working in MacPro 3,1 Lion 10.7.3 without ATY_init. Simply with new drivers installed yesterday.

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello
i'd like to test those.. but I'm 460M gtx and as bad as you 10.7.2 run good opencl only If I use aty_init (without it and GR=yes I have black sreen) and do the same as tamorgen(various mods)
indeed I suppose that ML has the latest invidia because I have NO NEED of aty_init and NO NEED of ay mod..

only cuda.. andI have a good conebench without any freeze!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts
I think that, even the version number is "older" of Nvidia drivers they may / will be newer / further developed. To bad that Apple / Nvidia didnt organize their build version numbers.
OpenGL works + speed as with 10.7.3
But now major OpenCL problems - much slower or even stalls / not workings with 9600 GT.
OpenCL worked with no probs with 10.7.3 drivers.

bcobco

bcobco

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
installing this on 10.6.8 causes nv40hal failed to load and user interface fails on load

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,045 posts
No surprises there. Read the requirements next time:
Attached File  10.7.3.png   18KB   114 downloads

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Hopefully I will get a chance to try them in a few days time - I have a gtx570 on order.

Ok tried them and for some reason OpenCL did not work ootb for me without the usual edits - possibly because the device id for my card is 1086 and not 1081 - in fact the card didn't work ootb on my hack either without GraphicsEnabler - the display would sleep as soon as windows server launched (ATY_init didn't help)

Actarus

Actarus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Installed with 560 ti. Opengl working, not opencl (patch doesn't work). But huge problem, Finder is rebooting every few minutes closing everything opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy