What happened to my thread?

8 posts in this topic

I'd created a thread a couple days ago about some trouble I'd been experiencing after upgrading to 10.7.3 and it's seemingly gone.

If it was deleted for some rule violation, would it hurt to get a PM about it so I could either fix it, or understand what I did wrong in the first place?

I didn't delete your topic, thus I don't know what happened to it.

However, according to our rules, moderators can remove posts or topics at their own discretion, no explanation required.

while I agree that Moderators should use their own discretion (I'm a mod myself on other forums) if a topic is removed without any explanation then how is the person who posted it supposed to know why it was removed?

The issue is mostly related to volume of actions. If we explain every action it could be quite time consuming - although I agree it would definitely be nice for users to have some explanation :). The worst cases are notified, but that is really only if we are going to preview their posts because of things like posting torrents. If you have any doubts about why your post was removed you can contact administrators or in some cases moderators to find out why, normally PM is the better bet as we don't like having a forum full of protests :P.

In your case you posted a support question in the news forum http://www.insanelym...p?showforum=157 so it was removed by another mod. I've moved it to the correct forum and restored it :) (with a complementary bump), but please make sure in the future you pick the correct forum as I don't always feel like going through the trash :P.

Poco

• Like 1

Thanks Poco.

I posted it there since I'd assumed it had something to do with the update I'd applied. I would have contacted the mod that deleted it, but I didn't know who it was. I know moderation can be time consuming, but it really doesn't take much to drop the user a note to let them know what happened. Saves threads like these from being created ;).

For the record, when I'm in the mood I mercilessly delete ridiculous and useless noise/pollution type posts when I see them.

But when I move a post or a topic (and if it's a recent one) to the correct place I always send a PM.

One day when I was really bored and had nothing to do I went on a killing spree and obliterated a metric f**kton of "BUMP" posts.

The problem with cleaning up noise in huge topics is that if someone has posted a link to an earlier post in a topic, and a bunch of older posts are subsequently removed, then the link will no longer lead to the correct post. Then you have to track those down and fix them. I try the best I can but I'm sure I've missed some.

One of our mods, I don't remember who, used to have a subtitle, "InsanelyMac garbage collector". That always made me laugh.