The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

Evening all, Some of you no doubt know me by now and some of you may not but here we have a fairly simple way to install Mountain Lion to a P8P67 Pro based system. I have tested this on 2 systems, one using a pair of AMD HD6870's and one using a single AMD HD6970.

You will need 3 things in order to build this usb stick successfully..

• 1 - A usb stick (or drive) large enough to contain the contents of the install image (8 gig should do)
  • 2 - A downloaded copy of the Mountain Lion Developer Preview (don't ask me for it) - Instructions for the GM and the latest package can be found at the bottom of this post.
  • 3 - The 2 packages from the this download http://www.mediafire...ckof84odvuircg2

Ok Moving on..

1. First step (pretty obvious) Boot into Snow Leopard or Lion
  2. Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table (or mbr - doesn't matter as the package will patch the installer for mbr anyway)
  3. right click your Mountain Lion image and select 'open with DiskImageMounter',
  4. Run ShowAllFiles (to show hidden files),
  5. Open finder and look for Mac OS X Install ESD,
  6. right click on the hidden 'BaseSystem.dmg' and select 'open with disk utility',
  7. In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',
  8. Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',
  9. Go for a beer, coffee or whatever takes your fancy as this will take a while!
  10. Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias
  11. right click your Mountain Lion image and select 'open with DiskImageMounter' (from step 3) and again 'open with DiskImageMounter'
  12. Open finder and look for Mac OS X Install ESD (be careful here as you will have 2 drives with the same name - your original 10.6 ESD and your new USB drive - I recommend renaming the USB drive at this point)
  13. Double click the 'InstallESD.dmg' to mount it
  14. Copy the 'Packages' folder from the 'MacOS X ESD' folder that should automatically open in finder over to the system, installation folder on your usb stick or drive to replace the alias that you deleted in step 10,
  15. WAIT for Step 14 to complete and then run the downloaded 'P8P67 Pro USB Installer' package and select your usb drive as the target - this will make the drive bootable and install everything onto the drive to allow you to install on your P8P67 Pro
  16. Congratulations your USB stick or drive should now be bootable and allow you to install Mountain Lion!
  17. Boot from the newly created Mountain Lion installation USB stick and run the installer (use F8 after post to select the USB stick, let it run the installer and install as usual)
  18. Once installation is complete reboot and again boot from the usb stick (F8 after post again to select it as the boot device), When chameleon loads this time you need to select your freshly installed Mountain Lion hdd to boot from so select it and wait for it to load
  19. After Mountain Lion has booted to the desktop run the other package that you downloaded 'P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg' this will install the bootloader and necessary kexts to your newly installed drive
  20. NOTE: This package installs NullCPUPowerManagement kext - if you use a modified mobo bios you can delete this kext and flush your cache.
  21. If you use a 6950 or 6970 GPU "AND" use the modified mobo bios then be sure to set graphics enabler to no and when faced with the white screen and mouse pointer just press the power button to send the hack to sleep, wait a few seconds and wake it and all *should* be good.

As always 'Good Luck all'

:)

Don't forget if you need GraphicsEnabler you will have to edit the boot.Plist because by default its set to No

------------------------------------------ UPDATED FOR 10.8 GM --------------------------------------

Latest install file for 10.8 GM is available here http://www.mediafire.com/?qdsknbsqwwvj5kz

Install Procedure..

• Follow steps 1-18 above
  • At step 19 run the package that has been (hopefully) created on the root of your usb install drive. This package contains all of the kexts and the bootloader to make your new install bootable.

Words of warning - Pay Attention..

• If you use a 3000 series bios you are on your own - I've not tested against this bios version and you will most likely require a new DSDT.
  • Once again NullCPUPowerManagement is installed by default but you can safely delete this and flush your cache if you are using a modified bios.
  • I have removed the edited ATI 6900 series kexts because they wont work (or rather I couldn't get them working) with 10.8 GM. If you have an AMD/ATI 6900 series card don't waste your time.
  • GraphicsEnabler is now enabled by default - feel free to disable it if you don't need it or have problems with it
  • You may need to install driver package again after your first reboot to enable audio (seems to be a bug in the postinstall script that I've not managed to iron out).

As always good luck!!!

• Like 3

Just noticed, the sound is being recognized but is not outputting anything.

Turn your speakers on? :)

Btw if you want sleep working properly flash a modified bios and delete NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. I have modified bios version 2103 for the Revision 3.1 and earlier P8P67 Pro boards. This bios will enable sleep and speedstepping so you do not need to use either speedstepper or nullcpupowermanagement kexts

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 bios http://www.mediafire...db4lua28acw438r

P8P67 Pro Rev3.0 and Earlier bios http://www.mediafire...ied5qb0v0hly806

Make sure you flash the correct version for your board - if you are unsure which version you have do NOT flash - If you have a board other than a P8P67 Pro do NOT flash.

Once again for the numpties that may try flashing this to a totally different board or simply dont bother reading the warnings - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, IF YOU FLASH THE WRONG FILE TO THE WRONG BOARD IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

I may have provided the bios files but I'm not secondary support for Asus so if you come unstuck you may well find yourself on your own.

That said feel free to use the files and good luck :)

P.S. If you own an AMD 6950 or 6970 you will need this bios to get Mountain Lion working because you need sleep working in order to get to the desktop. With a 6900 series card you have to set graphicsenabler to no (done by default with the packages in this thread) and install ATY_init (again done by dafault in these packages). You then need to remove the device id's from the ATI6000Controller in order to run the installer (you guessed it its already taken care of in these packages) and after install put the ids back in (do I even need to say it?). Once you have finished setup simply delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from System\Library\Extensions *(yeah ok so the packages don't automatically do this bit because if they did you wouldnt be able to use them without the modified bios - see I do think of you guys :)), clear the cache and reboot. You will then see a nice high res white screen with a mouse pointer at the point where you would normally see the desktop - fear not just press the power button and send your hack to sleep, wait a few seconds and press it again for a nice 3d accelearted experience. iTunes will crash but most other stuff works.

• Like 3

Hi Andy,

Im also trying to get 6950 to work on ML, however, i have a different mobo (Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R). Ive set smbios to Mac Pro 3.1, but I can only get white screen (without cursor) or grey screen (without logo, just freezes)... If i boot in verbose, It says something like: Quitting for 0x6719.. system uptime in nanoseconds 278237082730

Do you have any idea how i can get past this?

Hi Andy,

Im also trying to get 6950 to work on ML, however, i have a different mobo (Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R). Ive set smbios to Mac Pro 3.1, but I can only get white screen (without cursor) or grey screen (without logo, just freezes)... If i boot in verbose, It says something like: Quitting for 0x6719.. system uptime in nanoseconds 278237082730

Do you have any idea how i can get past this?

Check permissions - I had the static white screen a few times in ML after I had messed up the permissions on the ATI kexts

I think I made mistake somewhere. I follow your guide until step 16. Then I boot usb with F8 and installed ML. After restart my computer screen black nothing happend. Should I dowload 'P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg' before to install ML to USB or after?

Telepati, boot back into the drive you created the USB with and launch the P8P67 Pro Driver Installer and install it to the new Mountain Lion hard drive.

Ok I did it but white screen and mouse cursor stucked. What andys says I did it power button hints. But first press to Power Button my HP display immediately sleep when I press again for wake up display still sleep doesnt wake up. How to fix that?

I have tried this guide on all of my hackintoshes here at home and all of them just loads a couple of seconds then restarts.

I have tried to boot in verbose too but still the same even with -x -v just reboot. Something else i should try.

My hardware is core 2 duo cpus and geforce 7series on my hackintoshes.

The guide is simple to follow but it just rebots but i dont know why, any ideas someone?

I have tried this guide on all of my hackintoshes here at home and all of them just loads a couple of seconds then restarts.

I have tried to boot in verbose too but still the same even with -x -v just reboot. Something else i should try.

My hardware is core 2 duo cpus and geforce 7series on my hackintoshes.

The guide is simple to follow but it just rebots but i dont know why, any ideas someone?

You need to learn to READ! If you have a core duo 2 cpu then you are NOT using a P8P67 Pro motherboard so this guide is NOT for you!!!!

Ok I did it but white screen and mouse cursor stucked. What andys says I did it power button hints. But first press to Power Button my HP display immediately sleep when I press again for wake up display still sleep doesnt wake up. How to fix that?

Your signature says P8P67 EVO INTEL P67 yet this thread title says P8P67 Pro so unless you have edited your own bios (you cant have used the ones I provided on that board) its unlikely that you have sleep working correctly. Without sleep working properly you wont get your 6950 to initialise correctly.

Ok I got it now. I think this flashing things like Bios update. I always doing do that with USB drive. My bios now 2103. Evo and Pro same architecture I guess and I will get risk and try to your 3.1 revision.

I can but you do this at your own risk because if you make a mistake you will brick your board so I will make this very very clear THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Google for phoenixtool v1.91 and download it,
  • Open phoenixtool,
  • download the bios file from the Asus site that you wish to edit and open it in phoenixtool,
  • wait for it to do whatever the hell it insisits on doing,
  • select asus as the manufacturer,
  • click advanced,
  • select 'no slic' and 'allow user to modify other modules'
  • click done,
  • click 'go' and wait for the message telling you that 'you can now make manual alterations to modules in the dump file' - DO NOT CLICK OK!.
  • Open the dump folder and look for 2 19kb sized files named 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_370 and 2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_440
  • (the last 3 digits may vary depending on which board and bios you are hacking around with),
  • open both files in the hex editor of your choice and search for this hex string 80 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 80 and replace it with 00 00 18 EB 05 0D 00 00.
  • Save both files back to the dump folder and then switch back to phoenixtool and click 'OK',
  • it will then repack your changes back into a a new bios file BUT check the log file - if there are any errors at all do NOT attempt to flash the resulting rom.

If you do this and it goes wrong don't cry to me - I have warned you that it can brick your board if you do it wrong. I will not accept any liability whatsoever. The bios files I have made available I have tested myself on my own boards so i am confident they work. If you succesfully modify your own bios and it works perhaps you could also share it :)

Ok I got it now. I think this flashing things like Bios update. I always doing do that with USB drive. My bios now 2103. Evo and Pro same architecture I guess and I will get risk and try to your 3.1 revision.

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!

That bios is not for your board do NOT flash it - or go ahead at least I will get some peace when you can no longer boot your pc lol :wallbash:

• Like 2

I tried but in my dump just this files are;

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_0_368

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_0_438

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_368

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_1_468

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_2_368

2BB5AFA9-FF33-417B-8497-CB773C2B93BF_2_438

I've got the Asus P8P67 (non pro) and is considering installing Mountain Lion, is it possible to get sleep working? I'm running Snow Leopard right now with sleep working, I was running Lion but sleep were never working properly so I eventually went back to SL. I've seen people talking about flashing the bios and it seems like the best way but is there custom bios available for the P8P67? Have only found for the other models.

I've got the Asus P8P67 (non pro) and is considering installing Mountain Lion, is it possible to get sleep working? I'm running Snow Leopard right now with sleep working, I was running Lion but sleep were never working properly so I eventually went back to SL. I've seen people talking about flashing the bios and it seems like the best way but is there custom bios available for the P8P67? Have only found for the other models.

You would have to create your own using the details posted a few messages back. I can't create it for you because I would not be able to test it.

HI Andy,

I've also got the non pro version of this board but got a bit stuck between step 16 and 17

16 - Once installation completes reboot via the usb stick and select your newly installed Mountain Lion disk via Chameleon

Here I boot from the USB stick but it crashes while booting and reboots my computer. I replaced the DSDT.aml and smbios.plist from my current Lion install to the USB drive assuming the DSDT could be the culprit, but it is still the same. When booting with the -v flag

I cant really see where it goes wrong as it goes too fast, not sure where the log file is stored on the USB boot drive to see the cause of this. I assume it's due to specific kexts loaded by the P8P67 Pro USB installer

Any hint on where to look?

Also regarding step

17 - Once Mountain Lion loads run the other package that you downloaded 'P8P67 Pro Driver.

pkg' this will install the bootloader and necessary kexts to your new installation

Which new installation do you mean here?? I want to upgrade either a clean 10.7.3 install or format that drive to install Mountain Lion to. Is the USB I've been creating up until point 16 intended as a boot disk or should I extract the Mountain Lion straight to the disk I want to use?

Also regarding step

17 - Once Mountain Lion loads run the other package that you downloaded 'P8P67 Pro Driver.

pkg' this will install the bootloader and necessary kexts to your new installation

Which new installation do you mean here?? I want to upgrade either a clean 10.7.3 install or format that drive to install Mountain Lion to. Is the USB I've been creating up until point 16 intended as a boot disk or should I extract the Mountain Lion straight to the disk I want to use?

Well spotted, that was a bit fuzzy because I was very tired after slogging it out with the scripts and testing. I have edited the guide to hopefully make it clearer regarding the final steps (after completing the usb installer and actually doing the install).

Thanks,

Any idea on what could go wrong when trying to boot this stick on a P8P67? The only difference between the two boards are the extra eSATA port and the SLI option. Didnt think any kext for either one of those would cause this reboot.

I would have thought the usb stick should still be able to run setup on your board. Difficult to offer anything useful without knowing the error message though.

Andy have you noticed the USB 3 makes the mobo spontaneously power on after it has been shutdown ? It has always been so since I have that mobo. The only "fix" I have found is to disable the USB 3. Do you know a cleaner fix ? I guess this has to do with DSDT.

The only difference between the two boards are the extra eSATA port and the SLI option. Didnt think any kext for either one of those would cause this reboot.

As far as I remember the pro and non pro are not that close. Lan is different, so is audio codec, and some other things here and there.

Andy have you noticed the USB 3 makes the mobo spontaneously power on after it has been shutdown ? It has always been so since I have that mobo. The only "fix" I have found is to disable the USB 3. Do you know a cleaner fix ? I guess this has to do with DSDT.

I've not noticed it but that doesnt mean its not happening - I usually end up booting back into windows after using the hack and eventually shut down from there (I rarely shut the pc down).

Turn your speakers on? :)

Btw if you want sleep working properly flash a modified bios and delete NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. I have modified bios version 2103 for the Revision 3.1 and earlier P8P67 Pro boards. This bios will enable sleep and speedstepping so you do not need to use either speedstepper or nullcpupowermanagement kexts

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 bios http://www.mediafire...db4lua28acw438r

P8P67 Pro Rev3.0 and Earlier bios http://www.mediafire...ied5qb0v0hly806

Make sure you flash the correct version for your board - if you are unsure which version you have do NOT flash - If you have a board other than a P8P67 Pro do NOT flash.

Once again for the numpties that may try flashing this to a totally different board or simply dont bother reading the warnings - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, IF YOU FLASH THE WRONG FILE TO THE WRONG BOARD IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

I may have provided the bios files but I'm not secondary support for Asus so if you come unstuck you may well find yourself on your own.

That said feel free to use the files and good luck :)

P.S. If you own an AMD 6950 or 6970 you will need this bios to get Mountain Lion working because you need sleep working in order to get to the desktop. With a 6900 series card you have to set graphicsenabler to no (done by default with the packages in this thread) and install ATY_init (again done by dafault in these packages). You then need to remove the device id's from the ATI6000Controller in order to run the installer (you guessed it its already taken care of in these packages) and after install put the ids back in (do I even need to say it?). Once you have finished setup simply delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from System\Library\Extensions *(yeah ok so the packages don't automatically do this bit because if they did you wouldnt be able to use them without the modified bios - see I do think of you guys :)), clear the cache and reboot. You will then see a nice high res white screen with a mouse pointer at the point where you would normally see the desktop - fear not just press the power button and send your hack to sleep, wait a few seconds and press it again for a nice 3d accelearted experience. iTunes will crash but most other stuff works.

Thanks I'll test this. However I'll probably wait a few weeks to do this as I noticed that I've lost my 16GB USB stick so I've only got a 4GB one and I've got exams coming up next week. Anyway thanks for the information, may I ask exactly what this modification does, why just that hex modification, is there any explanation somewhere? Would be fun to know exactly what I'm really doing.