[Guide] HP Elitebook 8560W installation Guide

Pluskat5000Schiffe

35 posts in this topic

No support by DM ... If you have questions please respond to this forum topic.

HP 8560W Elitebook OSX 10.7.3 Installation Guide

Update 22-2-2012

• Displayport / VGA isn't functioning yet (Dell 2711) I indentified the error and there is a small error within

Update 1-3-2012

• Uploading USB pendrive 8GB OSX 10.7.0 - 10.7.3 installation Image to Usenet for easy starting the installation process on your HP8560W. (you need a Mac (Disk Utility) to restore the .dmg file to an USB pendrive). Search for "HP8560W" in your favorite Usenet Indexer. All nessesarry files (kexts / dsdt\s etc are there too)

8560winaction_OSX.jpg

HP Elitebook 8560W|Core i7 2630QM @ 2GHz|16GB|OSX 10.7.3| Seagate Hybrid 500GB | Original 7200RPM HDD | nVidia Quadro 1000M System Bios F.20 | Cinebench 4,95 MultiCPU | OpenGL 26,5 FPS | Geekbench 64bit 95xx

A lot of Credits goes to legend Andy Vandijck who made the Touchpad working as it should, but also the rebuidling of the AppleHDA with the IDT 92HD81B1X5 codec. To Use a patched "native" AppleHDA you need an adjusted DSDT.aml which is patched by Andy as well. The touchpad, the patched AppleHDA and the "quality checked" DSDT.aml are in my opinion crucial for a good and stable osx experience on your Elitebook.

Assumptations:

• I assume you know how to configure the bios of the laptop (what must enabled see below),
  • I assume you know how to make a Lion Installer,
  • I assume you know how to install Lion on the harddisk of the laptop,
  • I assume you know how to install a bootloader to the harddisk,

Best Practices / Preparations:

Memory.jpg

• Install 2 or 3 extra 4GB memory modules if you have 4GB or 8GB installed. Not really needed but they are currently cheap. Original spares of HP cost you about 25 euros each. The benefit if you buy originals you can leave them in the system when you need a warranty repair. The original part number / type is : 4GB HYNIX DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM 1333 Mhz HMT351S6BFR8C-H9

HP_8560w_2nd_HDD.jpg

• Swap out the optical drive and replace the optical by an 2nd HDD/SSD caddy by newmodeus. They are about 50 dollar. They can be found a lot cheaper on ebay but I had a cheap one and didn't perform well on the SATA bus. Now you can install windows on the drive you put in this drive position. This is needed because Windows 7 to Windows 7 SP1 update installation doesn't like bootloaders to be installed on that same drive. Allthough a lot of OSX86 guides describes how you can install multiple Operating Systems on one drive this is a far more easier solution,

Disconnect_the_Orange_Nub.jpg

• Personally I hate the orange nub on the middle of the keyboard. I removed the NUB's connection to the mainboard. If you like to use the touchpad with all gestures, and I'm sure you like it, you have to disconnect the Nub like I did. Andy Vandijck wrote the touchpad (Cutom VoodooPS2.kext) kext and I delivered him all needed files. At that moment the Nub wasn't connected. So he made a custom VoodooPS2 without the NUB attached. If its connected it won't work so you realy need to disconnect the nub. Sorry for this ...

Remove_Smartcard.jpg

• Optional: Remove SecureCard / Smartcard PCB covering the harddisk, this give easier access to the harddisk in case you need it see picture below:

Bios Setup (System version F.20):

Bios_F_20_settings.jpg

What is working

• DSDT.aml with basic fixes and adjusted for Sandy Bridge,
  • Touchpad like the real AppleTouchpad with 3 finger gestures,

Touchpad_Settings.jpg

• AppleHDA patched with cutomized DSDT.aml for native audio,

Audio_Panel.jpg

• Ethernet Gigabit with bridging functionallity VMWare,
  • USB3 on right side laptop (75MB/s read write on 2,5inch 5400 rpm disk)
  • Powermanagement (Sleep / Battery / Speedstep)
  • Video incl QE / CI (Quartz Extreme / Core Image) with nVidia Quadro 1000M

What isn't working (ATM)

• VGA - Displayport. Due an error in the AppleHDA build of Andy Vandijck Displayport isn't working. If you need DP and or VGA you need to deinstall AppleHDA attached with my kexts and install VoodooHDA 2.7.2 (newly attached on bottom)
  • SDHCI (jMicronCrap PCI SDHC reader)
  • iNtel Centrino Wireless ->Buy OSX supported USB plug with Wifi-N about $20. The card you should buy is based on the Realtec RTL8188SU chipset. I bought the Sitecom WLA-1000 V1 USB adapter 2.0 dev id = 0DF6:005B. There is even a smaller version. The ultra Nano. But I dont know what the wifi performance will be because the stick will almost dissapear in the laptop. I played save and bought the bigger WLA-1000 version. Not as preaty but works awesome. When you installed the driver software the wifi stick gets recognized when it put in. When you work by cable and the USB wifi adapter isn't present the software wont start. For me its acceptable because I only work wifi when I'm on holiday.

USB_Wireless_3.jpg USB_Wireless_1.jpg USB_Wireless_2.jpg

Downloads:

See attachment. (SLE - Extra - DSDT.aml)

No support by DM ... If you have questions please respond to this forum topic.

OSX86-HP8560W-10.7.3.rar

USB3-PXHCD and VoodooHDA272 kext.zip

• Like 3

By Majestyk

I was wondering if you could help me with one thing though. While audio is working, the volume slider on the top menu bar doesn't really seem to do anything. Volume seems to be stuck at a set level.

If I play an MP3 in iTunes, the volume slider within that app works. Any idea what I can do to get the master volume working?

By me:

Al though it’s pure cosmetic. I Noticed when you connect a headphone it works as it should. I'll think it has something to do with the scaling. If you press fn-f6 and lowers the volume to only 1 box left in the onscreen sound volume dialog you can see the slider of the master volume dropping a really small portion. I’ll will ask expert Andy Vandijck. I’m almost sure he knows what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

On windows, using winrar, i get a 'unexpected end of file' error, and 'The Unarchiver' on mac also can't open the files. Could they be corrupt? I downloaded the installer from usenet twice, and grabit repaired them using the par files, but still no success.

P.S. Sorry about the PMs, i had not noticed the message about having to complete the quiz.

Ok, when i download it using another client, it says the following after the download is finished:

uuF18.png

So i'd almost think that not all files are on there yet :S Tried with 3 usenet providers now.

Ok, when i download i....

So i'd almost think that not all files are on there yet :S Tried with 3 usenet providers now.

I will check it myself ... hang on ...

I downloaded it with NZBvortex. Indeed it gives an error. When I double click on file what is downloaded : "Pendrive Lion Install.dmg.zip" it starts extracting the "Pendrive Lion Install.dmg" file. Double click on the extracted file opens the content so I'll think its fine. In an other Dutch Forum users reported that they repaired the archive first using the par files (but you need them to be downloaded by forcing).

I downloaded it with NZBvortex. Indeed it gives an error. When I double click on file what is downloaded : "Pendrive Lion Install.dmg.zip" it starts extracting the "Pendrive Lion Install.dmg" file. Double click on the extracted file opens the content so I'll think its fine. In an other Dutch Forum users reported that they repaired the archive first using the par files (but you need them to be downloaded by forcing).

And what program do you use for extraction? Since i keep getting an error, and the size of the .dmg file is reported as 0 bytes in winrar... I do have the par files by the way, and it says it doesn't need repairing :s

Ah, if i join the seperate zip files with another program before trying to open it with winrar i don't get an error. Let's see if this will work...

Edit: The Unarchiver still gives the same error on the .zip file after concatenating the files. Winrar on windows gives an error but still extracts, so i suppose there's still corruption.

Nice post! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm planning to use my elitebook as my workstation for my DAW (Pro Tools 10).

For that purpose, i need my AD/DA and DSP processors to be connected via Firewire 800 port (via ExpressCard adapter with TI chipset).

Quick question, is the Firewire port and/or the ExpressCard will work with this installation?

Thank you :D

I havnt tested the firewire port. But the ExpressCard slot is working. I use it with a serial adapter to configure switches and routers.

Nice post! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm planning to use my elitebook as my workstation for my DAW (Pro Tools 10).

For that purpose, i need my AD/DA and DSP processors to be connected via Firewire 800 port (via ExpressCard adapter with TI chipset).

Quick question, is the Firewire port and/or the ExpressCard will work with this installation?

Thank you :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First, I want to thank you for your upload to Usenet. That helped me out a bunch and now I'm up and running...

Second, I want to let you know that I'm very new to this.

Now to the details...I can't get the trackpad to work at all. This could have something to do with every time I try to use the DSDT.aml file the machine won't boot and I have to reinstall from scratch (which is probably because I'm new to this). At the moment, the trackpad is the only thing I'm aware of that should work yet is not.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

I found that my ethernet card wasn't working again when cable pulled from the computer. It would never get an ip address again, an thus needed a reboot to get networking going again. I tried replacing the e1000 kext and i found another version of it that seems to work better.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8607017/AppleIntelE1000e.kext.tar.gz

Regards,

olibuijr

Very useful post! Thank you. I managed to do some patching to my own dsdt (HP Elitebook 8540w, i5) to get the touchpad working based on your dsdt. Resolution and finger recognition does not work as smooth as under linux however. Is there any way to configure the minimum width for registering two fingers (my synaptics is not able to truely register separate fingers)?

The other thing that is still nagging is getting sleep and the external monitor up and running. Could you post some details about what you've patched exactly? Or post an original dsdt so I can diff it myself? If I could get my hp anywhere near as functional as yours I'd be on cloud 9 ;)

I'm really happy about my setup. I'm using AppleHDA and external monitors are working though DP. My mouse is a bit choppy to move around but it works ok, i usually dock the computer to a dock and use usb keyboard and mouse. Everything on the dock works.

The problem is however, if i put the computer to sleep and unplug it and move to a new place, it will crash within half an hour of resuming. This is annoying as i run a Windows 7 machine inside OSX using VMWare Fusion. Ive even noticed instances where I've just accidentally unplug the computer and then around half hour later i'd crash.

Using all the Kexts in the post, not using VoodooHDA though.

Any advice what to do regarding the crashes? Otherwise this is working sweet :)

...to work better.

http://dl.dropbox.co...00e.kext.tar.gz

Regards,

olibuijr

Thanks will try ! .... Tried indeed this one works far better ... it is working when ethernet disconnect / reconnect ... Thx for you contribute

Is there a DSDT.aml available for BIOS F.25? Or are the recommended changes to be applied to create the DSDT.aml for F.25?

You can safely proceed to F.25 I use that Bios version too and everything worked.

I'm really happy about my setup. I'm using AppleHDA and external monitors are working though DP. My mouse is a bit choppy to move around but it works ok, i usually dock the computer to a dock and use usb keyboard and mouse. Everything on the dock works.

The problem is however, if i put the computer to sleep and unplug it and move to a new place, it will crash within half an hour of resuming. This is annoying as i run a Windows 7 machine inside OSX using VMWare Fusion. Ive even noticed instances where I've just accidentally unplug the computer and then around half hour later i'd crash.

I noticed that when I use AppleHDA (by ANdy) i got KP's when plugging external displays to the laptop (VGA - Displayport). It's caused by the combination of something in DSDT and AppleHDA which are both build / patched by Andy. If I replace AppleHDA by VoodooHDA 2.7.2 external monitors work and no KP's. I suggest you replace AppleHDA by VoodooHDA and see if stability is fine.

maybe it has something to do with the battery manager. If you remove the battery manager I noticed better stability with suspend / resume operations. I'm interested in the result!

I tried today too. I've installed VMware (upgraded to the latest version) mounted a VMware image. Worked with it a while. Drained the battery to 50% put the laptop in sleep for 30 min. Waked the laptop and resumed working with the vmware image. I didn't had any crash ... (Did you put the VMware Image on the same drive as OSX resides ?... i have it on the same drive running.

...I can't get the trackpad to work at all. This could have something to do with every time I try to use the DSDT.aml file the machine won't boot and I have to reinstall from scratch (which is probably because I'm new to this). At the moment, the trackpad is the only thing I'm aware of that should work yet is not.

See above (photo 4) as told: Personally I hate the orange nub on the keyboard. I removed the NUB's connection to the mainboard. If you like to use the touchpad with all gestures, and I'm sure you like it, you have to disconnect the Nub like I did. Andy Vandijck wrote the touchpad (Cutom VoodooPS2.kext) kext and I delivered him all needed files. At that moment the Nub wasn't connected. So he made a custom VoodooPS2 without the NUB attached. If its connected it so you realy need to disconnect the nub. Sorry for this ...

maybe it has something to do with the battery manager. If you remove the battery manager I noticed better stability with suspend / resume operations. I'm interested in the result!

Rock solid stability after removing the battery manager. No hangups when resuming! Downside is i can't see the battery level anymore.

Any advice with choppy mouse? It's not working with 3 finger gestures either, only 2. What kext provides this function?

After trying to reinstall VoodooPS2 in order to try to get the mouse functioning with 3 finger gestures I've now lost all mousepad activity. Reinstalled the kext using kexthelper here are the privileges on the kexts.

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Apr 17 11:25 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

It should be working....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, i´m planning to change my Dell Precision M4500 by Hp 8560w with DreamColor Display. Lion works fine on my Dell but shutdown and multitouch.

I need to know some questions about Lion on 8560w before buying it.

- Does the Brightness control worked fine? (i had a 8540w and i can´t control the brightness screen, i think it was a light sensor issue)

- Does the shutdown worked 100%?

- Any other things i must worry about?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

• 8 months later...