Random hangs on boot

brgmtt

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have installed Lion (iAtkos L2) on my TJ65 (see signature for specs), and almost everything (except integrated wireless and ethernet) works pretty well, when I boot. The problem is that I am almost never able to boot; when I try, I usually end up stuck (NB, no "classical" kernel panic) in one of these situations:

a) Chameleon hangs before loading the kernel (I can still see the background graphics) at line "Customizing System Id with : [weird list of numbers/letters]"

B) Chameleon hangs before loading the kernel (I can still see the background graphics) and shows "Couldn't get selected node"

c) The kernel hangs (with no hard disk activity) just after loading (successfully, I think) the RTC and FakeSMC

d) The kernel hangs (with no hard disk activity) just after loading (successfully, I think) the RTC and FakeSMC, showing "Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused"

All of the mentioned lines appear also during a successful boot... Moreover, it seems that the frequency of "good" boots decreases over time (I can almost always boot just after installing and the second time, it starts to become awful at about the fourth boot)

Finally, I had similar trouble also with Snow Leopard on this machine (and thus gave up trying), in a desperate attempt I even bought a new internal hard disk and replaced the original... No change.

Does anyone have some ideas on what i could do to get rid of this issue, or at least know what's causing it? Thank you

probably the broadcom and 4gb ram ( i had issues with more than 2 gb ram and dma addressing)..

try the boot with

max_valid_dma_addr=1024

also look into fakesmc 3.1 or 4.0 and plugins u probably missing: nvidia, intelcpumon

have u seen anyone with that video card working for sure ?

for dsdt comparison if its ram amount.

u can dump dsdt from ubuntu or linuxmint with 2gb ram.. and 4gb ram and compare the dsdt2gb.dsl and dsdt4g.dsl with a text utility

in ubuntu terminal

sudo apt-get install acpidump iasl

mkdir ~/acpiinfo ; cd ~/acpiinfo

sudo acpidump > acpidump.txt

sudo acpixtract acpidump.txt

ls *.dat | while read i; do iasl -d "${i}"; done

name=`sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name`

mkdir "${name}" && cp *.dsl "${name}"/

then zip the folder and attach to post here.

===============================================

take out the intel wireless. not working in osx to my knowledge.

replace with bcm94321mc or ar5b91 x

Thanks for the answer.. Well, I actually were able to get the broadcom card working, using a modified BCM5722D kext (hand't tried much before)...

The video card also works fine, there's a review here

I will try the max_valid_dma_addr as soon as the issue comes up again (I did a reinstalli chosing also JMicronIDE, which I read somewhere is needed for my notebook, so it still boots fine), in the meanwhile I attached the folder

P.S. What do you mean by "look into fakesmc 3.1 or 4.0 and plugins u probably missing: nvidia, intelcpumon"?

acpiinfo.zip

Ok, strange things happening: now the situations in the first post happen less often (I could even live with it), and i'm able to boot more often (thanks to JMicron?), but sometimes I get some "random" kernel panics (the process name changes everytime, the last I remember is "kernel_task")... Also, this morning it wouldn't boot whatever I tried, it showed some errors about Mach-0 bad format in a lot of kexts and wrong 0x0 "magic numbers"...