Macbook + Windex

Bartboy919

31 posts in this topic

Macbook + Windex = Fail

Man I screwed up may macbook screen big time today. I cleaned it with windex and now its all like cloudy and stuff. I have the 3 year extended warrenty but im not sure they will cover it. Is there any way to fix this?

here is a pic (sorry for blurryness)

dscf0943xz7.jpg

Weel its been like 10 hours since it happened and it looks like it may be going away. there are dots of the original brightness coming up, I hope to god that waterjust went hroguth the screen and will disipate completely. but it's to early to tell.

Water BAD. I use this cleaner called MinCream. But I belive its a plastic covering and can be removed from the LCD. Replace it with a scratch guard or some {censored}.

I'm about to try eyeglasses cleaner. Wish me luck!

Edit: Actually, I didn't need it. I just used the microfiber cloth that came with my eyeglasses and didn't even need any liquids. If there's anything that's stuck on there, lick your finger, touch the cloth, and gently rub. Clean as a whistle and free. :)

well, it seems that the stuff isnt going away anymore from what I can tel. I'm going to bring it in to the apple store on friday and tell you how it went. wish me luck. also, Tehmm may ot cover it if I say I used Windex, so should I say I used water or what. thank in advace.

Nomatter what you say, odds are you are screwed.

They will be able to find out pretty quickly if a lightly damp paper towel with water could do that kind of damage (that is what they recommend for screen cleaning after all).

I would say an Apple Certified Repair Center would be your best bet at first (then if they say "Hell No, we wolnt fix it" then it is not in Apple's records that you screwed up your display).

I know this sounds dumb, but if it seemed like it was "drying" did you try putting it in the sun for a day or so? Maybe even a hair dryer on low?

Just a couple of ideas - at this point you've got nothing to lose...

I dont think that liquid is in there I now think the screen is just stained.

So it may just need the top layer of the screen relpaced. Hopefull that Applecare will take care of this. In a timely fashion to, I need this for school, BTW anyone know how long it my take to get a thing like this serviced?

• 2 weeks later...

Thoes cheats at the apple store says my applecare doesnt cover water damage. So they say to repair it it would cost $900!!!! Who are they trying to kid here! Although I talked the genuis bar guy into letting me send it in to get it checked he said it will most likey not be coverd. I am $100 sure an LCD screen does not cost $900. the worst part about it? I have had the damn thing for 2 months. They say that liquid is between the lcd and the backlight so thats why it is brighter than the rest of the screen.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed cheaper so im not cheated out of $900?

• 4 months later...

show them the part of the manual where it reccomends using water and a soft towel/rag to wipe the screen and then ask why water damage isn't warrantied when they reccomend using it themselves.

It's in the macbook manual page 107

"To clean your macbook screen, do the following:

- shut down your macbook, unplug the power adapter, and remove the battery.

- dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen."

So you did mess up the spraying part, but water...

• 2 months later...