CMOS Resets by AppleRTC.kext

rayap

69 posts in this topic

I understand the idea here is to find out the real cause of the malfunction. But in the meanwhile for those who want a fully operational system I recomend to install the AppleRTC.kext from SnowL. Fully operational on my venerated P35-DS3R (ML 10.8.2, chamaleon installed in a separated partition as I have done many times following former suggestions from BlackosX -my greetings Sir-). Credits to JUN HO (topic/253992-cmos-resets-on-restarts-after-sleep-and-wake-in-107-lion/page__st__20) who found it out first.

I understand the idea here is to find out the real cause of the malfunction. But in the meanwhile for those who want a fully operational system I recomend to install the AppleRTC.kext from SnowL. Fully operational on my venerated P35-DS3R (ML 10.8.2, chamaleon installed in a separated partition as I have done many times following former suggestions from BlackosX -my greetings Sir-). Credits to JUN HO (topic/253992-cmos-resets-on-restarts-after-sleep-and-wake-in-107-lion/page__st__20) who found it out first.

Using the patched kext should just work fine :)

Never met with obstacles

• Like 1

Didn't work for me. I had it sometime under investigation but I did not get it really (elegantly) working with the RTC patched version. Perhaps I had other dependencies, since a.o. i tried different dsdt's...

for waking up causing CMOS reset is only related to AppleRTC.kext

for restarting causing CMOS reset is related to dsdt edits

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Let's see if that fix my sleep/wake problem on Asus P5QC too. Will let you guys know :)

Thank you rayap

edit: It won't work and I stuck at [ PCI configuration begin ] message with -v

Edited by piratx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the patched AppleRTC in ML, I have to change the RTC length in DSDT to 2. If I leave the default value (4), the system does an instant reboot when waking from sleep (but no CMOS reset).

Problem with length set to 2 is that system takes longer to sleep and complains about single ram bank during boot.

• Like 1

Hi people. In Mavericks I couldn't patch my AppleRTC manually trough terminal as I did with all the other versions. It simply didn't work. 

But installing the kext @ROBASEFR attached did the job! Thanks a lot man!

Actually kext provided by @ROBASEFR is the same, which I got by using this patch on Maverick AppleRTC.kext:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Its the same patch referred by nozyczek

But this patch didn't work for me.

With the patched AppleRTC in ML, I have to change the RTC length in DSDT to 2. If I leave the default value (4), the system does an instant reboot when waking from sleep (but no CMOS reset).

Problem with length set to 2 is that system takes longer to sleep and complains about single ram bank during boot.

I guess it's still some sort of reset. I have similar issue. After wake comp switches off and reboots, but boots Maverick to the after deep sleep/hibernate screen with psw prompt dialog. When I log in, all apps left opened before sleep are opened at state they had before sleep. I got also kernel panic, but after enabling USB fix on boot.plist panic didn't happen anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

This works for me on 10.9 Mavericks:

perl -pi -e 's|\x41\x89\xd7\x41\x89\xf4|\xe9\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x90|;' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Verify your source file before patching: 

md5 AppleRTC 

MD5 (AppleRTC) = 4b1d28ac48a2a7b35ed6b2034e0fd912

This patch completely disables all CMOS writes from AppleRTC kext

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

the patch for yosemite

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC;
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions;

work to for EL CAPITAN ( 15A178w )

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x2e\x0f\xb6|\xeb\x2e\x0f\xb6|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC;

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

the patch for yosemite

work to for EL CAPITAN ( 15A178w )

didn't work for me ,anyone else ?