What is the quickest way to install Lion from usb only using Windows ?

Arezius

3 posts in this topic

I've spend quite some time searching for a tutorial that I thought would be simple, read many posts in here, but never find my answer and many of the things I've tried simply failed.

Right now, my request is very simple, I only got Windows 7, I've got the dmg of Lion 10.7.3, and I'm looking for a way (without disk utility obviously) to partition my 16 go usb in order to have 1 boot partition with Lion, and the other for everything necessary in order for the hackintosh to work properly on my setup.

The tutorials on this matter are very simple and I'd like to do the same, except they all require disk utility which I haven't.

I've tried TransMac to mount the dmg into the usb, but it says "error reading disk"... I can't even find a way to make a bootable usb drive with chameleon under Windows.

Since I've changed my setup recently, I can't make my old iatkos v7 to work and I don't know right now the drivers required for it. I thought this drivers problem could be easier with Lion.

My setup:

Asus p5b deluxe

Core2Duo E8500

Geforce GTX 560 ti

Thanks in advance !

Download Transmac and install in Windows

We must make sure the USB drive you will restore the DMG to is using MBR.

Click start, type partition, select "Create and format HDD partitions".

Now on the left hand side, fine the USB Device, right click > Properties > Volumes tab. It should say Partition style: MBR.

If it doesnt, then open Command Prompt, this (beware it will remove all data and partitions on the usb drive, press enter after each line):

Diskpart

Select disk # (where # is the usb drive, be careful, next step will format it!)

Clean

Ok close command prompt, look in "Create and format HDD partitions" window, you will have unallocated space on the USB drive. Right click the unallocated space and make a new NTFS partition.

Now on the left hand side, fine the USB Device, right click > Propertires > Volumes tab. It should say Partition style: MBR.

Open Transmac, right click the USB Drive, format for Mac HFS+.

Click File open Disk image, choose the Lion DMG.

On the left pane, right click the Lion DMG, click Expand and save it somewhere.

Right click the USB Drive, click format with disk image, choose the expanded Lion DMG.

Now use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD to launch to Chameleon Bootloader, once at bootloader, insert the USB Drive, now after a couple seconds press F5. The Lion USB Partition should appear. use arrow keys to select it, type -v and then press Enter, it should boot.

This method works for Snow Leopard, ive not tried it with Lion, see how it goes, otherwise use Snow and update it to 10.6.8 then to 10.7.3 Lion.

Some advice, if you get it installed, use Carbon Copy to clone the HDD to another partition so that you dont have to go through a lengthy install process every time you break the OS.