10.8 USB Installation Tutorial (Link Inside)

besweeet

52 posts in this topic

Installation succeeded but when booting from fresh installed ML drive it gives me waiting for root device

[solved] but after disconnecting my main SSD and let the secondary HDD ML a primary HD, boot successfully and everything working after installing ethernet & audio kexts.

I am using now chameleon 2011 and the original OSInstall & OSInstall.mpkg because the attached 2 files doesn't work.

Edited by sselshamy

Thanks besweet for the info.

I partition my usb with MBR, install run very well

Post Install, I copy my dsdt.aml, org.chameleon.Boot.plist to /Extra folder, the only to make it boot I have to set UseKernelCache=No

Regards

I followed the guide and everything went well in the first part. But after booting and selecting language, I get: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" and two choices: restart and restore from Time Machine." Anyone knows why?

What nyolc8 said. I had the exact same issue, and picking a MacBook Pro SMBIOS worked fine. This was mentioned in step 5 of part 4.

Yup, it works great, thanks! I've used all the kexts from Lion and I encountered no problem so far.

Is it just me, or the overall speed is slightly higher than Lion? The whole system seems snappier, faster.

Well, Mountain Lion is more of a service pack for Lion (with the addition of a few new features), so that's probably why :D.

But yes, it doesn't seem noticeably faster than more stable than even 10.7.3.

Any luck with VoodooHDA? I tried with several versions, but all of them cause KP. Also, I know it's weird, I can't find Gatekeeper.

I think Gatekeeper is not built into this distribution, but I know it is listed on the developer website from what I have read.

Any luck with VoodooHDA? I tried with several versions, but all of them cause KP. Also, I know it's weird, I can't find Gatekeeper.

I used the latest version of VoodooHDA that comes with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Worked fine for me on ALC892.

Hmm... I usually see that error when the kernel or something else critical is suffering form data corruption. Aside from trying to boot into single user mode (-s), the only advice I can give you is to try recopying everything.

This is a long shot, but I've accidentally booted from my hard drive thinking I was booting from my thumb drive a couple times. If you have chameleon installed on both and don't always stick to the same boot device priorities, it's definitely a possibility. Since 10.8 requires chameleon r1820 or greater, it might KP like this when an older version of chameleon is messing with a large cat it hasn't been trained for.

Thanks for the guide!! Was able to boot fine into ML. Didnt get to coy my DSDT yet, might do later.

Only issue I had was that all iCloud services were not working, saying that it couldnt connect to servers.

Any ideas? I rememeber having that issue months ago in Lion, switching bootloader fixed the issue back then.

Okay. I redid the USB stick from scratch, and I can now at least get ML installed. I'll play around with it tomorrow, but I thought I'd share this...

In order to get to the ML install screen, I had to use a boot line that read:

-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000.

Thanks for the guide!! Was able to boot fine into ML. Didnt get to coy my DSDT yet, might do later.

Only issue I had was that all iCloud services were not working, saying that it couldnt connect to servers.

Any ideas? I rememeber having that issue months ago in Lion, switching bootloader fixed the issue back then.

Dang, that's odd. iCloud and everything around it has been working perfectly for me.

So I followed the guide, used my DSDT so I did not place NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E, and was able to boot, however I too get stuck at "Still waiting for root device". Tried deleting DSDT and used the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, still gets stuck, same spot. I can't see how it is a chipset problem, my healthy SL drive only needs FakeSMC and an edited DSDT to work. My system specs are in my sig, what am I missing?

post-42342-0-03846900-1329634050_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I used the latest version of VoodooHDA that comes with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Worked fine for me on ALC892.

Yeap, it worked for me also. Many thanks for the guide and all the hints!

However, a lot of applications just crashes when I open them: Mail, Preview, Reminders, Notes and Game Center (as far as I noticed, there may be more of them, but seems to be only Apple apps), although I remember that Mail used to open the first few times after the install.

So I followed the guide, used my DSDT so I did not place NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E, and was able to boot, however I too get stuck at "Still waiting for root device". Tried deleting DSDT and used the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, still gets stuck, same spot. I can't see how it is a chipset problem, my healthy SL drive only needs FakeSMC and an edited DSDT to work. My system specs are in my sig, what am I missing?

The last time that happened to me was when I had an old AMD + nForce desktop. Maybe you need some chipset drivers of some sort?

And to be honest, I've never used a DSDT for any hackintosh I've done.

Hi,

I used the guide to make my USB drive. But when I boot it, USB doesn't work. I've replaced IOUSB kexts from Lion onto the drive but it didn't work. I'm sure a DSDT would fix it, but when I put on on the drive it doesn't boot. Any help?

Thanks.

How far did -v even go?

The last time that happened to me was when I had an old AMD + nForce desktop. Maybe you need some chipset drivers of some sort?

And to be honest, I've never used a DSDT for any hackintosh I've done.

How far did -v even go?

OK i got it to boot with the DSDT, but no USB. -v boots it now. Thanks for the reply

I'm getting a kp when booting off the usb installer.

It's a problem with acpi.

I have tried using acpi=off

I have tried putting my Extra folder from Lion on the usb

I have tried deleting smbios.plist and reinstalling Chameleon ( the ML one)

Any ideas?

Can't help you without knowing what -v is telling you.