10.8 USB Installation Tutorial (Link Inside)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
For the full tutorial, refer to http://thetecherra.c...tart-to-finish/.

Basically, you'll be preparing your USB flash drive to install 10.8 with on your computer. It's basically the same process as with Lion, but with a few tweaks and stuff.

Posted Image

sselshamy

sselshamy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Installation succeeded but when booting from fresh installed ML drive it gives me waiting for root device

[Solved] but after disconnecting my main SSD and let the secondary HDD ML a primary HD, boot successfully and everything working after installing ethernet & audio kexts.

I am using now chameleon 2011 and the original OSInstall & OSInstall.mpkg because the attached 2 files doesn't work.

Edited by sselshamy, 15 July 2012 - 04:26 PM.

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Installation succeeded but when booting from fresh installed ML drive it gives me waiting for root device

You'll have to find some drivers for your chipset.

cochon

cochon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks besweet for the info.

I partition my usb with MBR, install run very well

Post Install, I copy my dsdt.aml, org.chameleon.Boot.plist to /Extra folder, the only to make it boot I have to set UseKernelCache=No

Regards

rucinter

rucinter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I followed the guide and everything went well in the first part. But after booting and selecting language, I get: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" and two choices: restart and restore from Time Machine." Anyone knows why?

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
You need a proper (supported mac) smbios.plist file in your /Extra folder

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I followed the guide and everything went well in the first part. But after booting and selecting language, I get: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" and two choices: restart and restore from Time Machine." Anyone knows why?

What nyolc8 said. I had the exact same issue, and picking a MacBook Pro SMBIOS worked fine. This was mentioned in step 5 of part 4.

rucinter

rucinter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Yup, it works great, thanks! I've used all the kexts from Lion and I encountered no problem so far.
Is it just me, or the overall speed is slightly higher than Lion? The whole system seems snappier, faster.

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Yup, it works great, thanks! I've used all the kexts from Lion and I encountered no problem so far.
Is it just me, or the overall speed is slightly higher than Lion? The whole system seems snappier, faster.

Well, Mountain Lion is more of a service pack for Lion (with the addition of a few new features), so that's probably why :D.

But yes, it doesn't seem noticeably faster than more stable than even 10.7.3.

rucinter

rucinter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Any luck with VoodooHDA? I tried with several versions, but all of them cause KP. Also, I know it's weird, I can't find Gatekeeper.

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Any luck with VoodooHDA? I tried with several versions, but all of them cause KP. Also, I know it's weird, I can't find Gatekeeper.

I think Gatekeeper is not built into this distribution, but I know it is listed on the developer website from what I have read.

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I used the latest version of VoodooHDA that comes with #####. Worked fine for me on ALC892.

OSXtemp

OSXtemp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Not working for me. I barely kick-off the boot loader, and then get a kernel panic: message like "no driver found (ACPI .....)". I have no problem with Snow Leopard or Lion installs though. Any boot params I could try?

metacollin

metacollin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hmm... I usually see that error when the kernel or something else critical is suffering form data corruption. Aside from trying to boot into single user mode (-s), the only advice I can give you is to try recopying everything.

This is a long shot, but I've accidentally booted from my hard drive thinking I was booting from my thumb drive a couple times. If you have chameleon installed on both and don't always stick to the same boot device priorities, it's definitely a possibility. Since 10.8 requires chameleon r1820 or greater, it might KP like this when an older version of chameleon is messing with a large cat it hasn't been trained for.

Maxxor

Maxxor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the guide!! Was able to boot fine into ML. Didnt get to coy my DSDT yet, might do later.

Only issue I had was that all iCloud services were not working, saying that it couldnt connect to servers.

Any ideas? I rememeber having that issue months ago in Lion, switching bootloader fixed the issue back then.

OSXtemp

OSXtemp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Okay. I redid the USB stick from scratch, and I can now at least get ML installed. I'll play around with it tomorrow, but I thought I'd share this...

In order to get to the ML install screen, I had to use a boot line that read:

-v PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000.

besweeet

besweeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Thanks for the guide!! Was able to boot fine into ML. Didnt get to coy my DSDT yet, might do later.

Only issue I had was that all iCloud services were not working, saying that it couldnt connect to servers.

Any ideas? I rememeber having that issue months ago in Lion, switching bootloader fixed the issue back then.

Dang, that's odd. iCloud and everything around it has been working perfectly for me.

Bansaku

Bansaku

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Lots
So I followed the guide, used my DSDT so I did not place NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E, and was able to boot, however I too get stuck at "Still waiting for root device". Tried deleting DSDT and used the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, still gets stuck, same spot. I can't see how it is a chipset problem, my healthy SL drive only needs FakeSMC and an edited DSDT to work. My system specs are in my sig, what am I missing?

Attached Files

rucinter

rucinter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

I used the latest version of VoodooHDA that comes with #####. Worked fine for me on ALC892.

Yeap, it worked for me also. Many thanks for the guide and all the hints!

However, a lot of applications just crashes when I open them: Mail, Preview, Reminders, Notes and Game Center (as far as I noticed, there may be more of them, but seems to be only Apple apps), although I remember that Mail used to open the first few times after the install.

ikingblack

ikingblack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I used the guide to make my USB drive. But when I boot it, USB doesn't work. I've replaced IOUSB kexts from Lion onto the drive but it didn't work. I'm sure a DSDT would fix it, but when I put on on the drive it doesn't boot. Any help?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy