Any luck with 10.8 Mountain Lion DP 1 on VMware?

75 posts in this topic

it seems that starting from lion the kext cache doesn't work anymore, however I had the same issue still waiting for root device changing from VM bios the scsi order didn't do the trick rather bring me back to the EFI console, I discovered that this was due to the fact that after installing I have removed/moved/added the virtual scsi hdd changing its position in vm settings from 2nd to the 1st (as primary) and get an unresponsive system, so I suggest you don't switch the virtual scsi hdd after install just remove the hdd installer.

OK, I give up, I guess my installation procedure will be to install via MacBook Fusion and then move it over to the ESXi server. I tried everything possible including using a USB drive, with USB drive I do get to the installation to boot, but I cant click on anything, mouse actually moves, but I cant click the -> on the language screen..... This is with fakesmc and in the vmx file smc = false, with smc=true it never boots just gets stuck on the Ethernet adapter or DSMOS has arrived and actually has a beachball.....

Not sure what else to do, the VMDK is not booting and USB is giving me issues.... I do have a fully working Mlion setup and I guess I should just live with that ...

OK, I give up, I guess my installation procedure will be to install via MacBook Fusion and then move it over to the ESXi server. I tried everything possible including using a USB drive, with USB drive I do get to the installation to boot, but I cant click on anything, mouse actually moves, but I cant click the -> on the language screen..... This is with fakesmc and in the vmx file smc = false, with smc=true it never boots just gets stuck on the Ethernet adapter or DSMOS has arrived and actually has a beachball.....

Not sure what else to do, the VMDK is not booting and USB is giving me issues.... I do have a fully working Mlion setup and I guess I should just live with that ...

I know this doesn't make sense, but the same is happening here, with smc.present=false, the installer vmdx never ever boots, setting it to true, it boots after a while. Since I got sandbox profile errors with quite a few stock apps, I have tried to reinstall the os. After reinstall I booted the os, dropped fakesmc in again, repaired permissions, switched off the vm, quitted vmware, set smc.present=flase, reboot and all is well, boots in about two minutes, after the reinstall all apps are working. The only remaining issue is the inability to import and trust a root ca, whatever I do, the ca remains untrusted.

I guess I cant just stop, tried with multiple AppleLSIfusion.kext and even if I get to boot from USB it does not see ESXi SCSI drives, this is so strange since I have a working Mlion installation with same kext, but during install it just doesnt see the drives !!!! EFI sees the drive, but OSX doesnt, unless I`m putting the kext in the wrong folder, but putting the fakesmc.kext in the same folder loads it (i know its right system/library/extensions/) I wasted 3 days now trying this ....

2 things I learned, 1 the AppleLSIfusion.kext does not work in installer to see the ESXi drives during installation, dont know why, but it does not. Also under the 64 machine the IDE CD-ROM/Drives do not work and in 32bit they do.... I spent a lot of time on this, I can say wasted time, but still not sure why the drives are not seen during install...probably missing something stupid....

Hi,

I have created successfully a virtual machine with Apple Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Retail on VMware ESXi 5 using unlock software and booting from usb pendrive.I also tried to install Mountain Lion DP1, but it arrived in Disk Utility, the system does not recognize the virtual disk and I can't install it.

someone can tell me why?

how can i solve?

thanks

G.

Hi,

I have created successfully a virtual machine with Apple Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Retail on VMware ESXi 5 using unlock software and booting from usb pendrive.I also tried to install Mountain Lion DP1, but it arrived in Disk Utility, the system does not recognize the virtual disk and I can't install it.

someone can tell me why?

how can i solve?

thanks

G.

If you read my crying posts, I spent 3 days, I still dont understand why it doesnt see it, same install method on VMWare workstation or Fusion works fine, but not on ESXi, even using the 10.7.1 SCSI Kext.....'

But if you have time, create the machine in VMware workstation, same process drop in fakesmc.kext and 10.7.1 applelsifusion.kext in to system/library/extension and move that VM to your ESXi box... Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your discussions. Really helpful. However i'm not quite clear about the "waiting for DSMOS" problem.

I now have working 10.8 on workstation 8.02 with the unlocker patch. However it took so long to boot in desktop (15mins for me) and verbose shows its "waiting for DSMOS". If i understood rightly from the previuos posts, seems i need to fix file permission. But exactly which file and how ?

Can anyone post a little bit clearer solution to reduce boot time? Thanks a lot !!!

I made it! :happymac:

Install the following steps:

Created a Virtual Machine for Lion 10.7

Edited the .vmx file and set this: smc.present = "TRUE"

Once the installation is complete (Patience, each boot takes a long time):

Install FakeSMC.kext with Kext Wizard

Install darwin.iso of Unlocker 1.0.2

Install VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg

Reset Virtual Machine and ready (Now the booting time normal as is in the Lion)

Thanks to all :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks lpsccs ... but did it really work for you w/out applying the VMware tools patch as seen on http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809?

I've mistakenly rebooted too quickly and kept the full install of darwin.iso and get these kernel panics with vmmemctl.

Edit:

For me it works with FakeSMC.kext 3.1.1, but I have to set smc.present = "FALSE" in the .vmx file. Otherwise I don't get mouse clicks and the keyboard working! I omitted the VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg because it gave me a fixed screen resolution only.

The VMware tools from darwin.iso make the screen shrink or grow depending on normal view or fullscreen view. I like that more because otherwise the desktop gets screwed up on fixed resolution and switching from normal screen to fullscreen view.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just updated to Workstation v8.04 done everything right installed rebooted now as most of u here not booting stuck on famous boot n spinning wheel... Tried with smc.present = "TRUE" never booted ... smc.present = "FALSE" never booted xD

Am using DP2 while I wait for DP4 to finish downloading xD

EDIT : GOT IT WORKING !!!!!!

What I did was, once Installation done successfully, I shut it down, mounted the Mountain Lion DP2 VMDK into the Lion VM, copied over the FakeSMC.kext provided earlier to the Mountain Lion DP2 drive /S/L/E, fixed permissions still on lion, and for {censored} n giggles I added -v flag to see what's going on, n voila it booted in 2mins ...

Note : DO NOT install VMWare Tools it WILL cause a Kernel Panic !!!! Just do like I did, and add a separate partition/VMDK shared between Lion VM n Mountain Lion VM ...

Hope this helps anyone ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Got GM working. But iCloud is not working getting error: "Cannot Sign up This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account"

Been searching and searching, seems to be something with the identifier or the serial number, but still havent found a way to change it. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW App Store is working .....

Also on my 10.7.4 VM iCloud works fine...

Seconding that 10.8 ML works just fine with the latest VMWare Tech Previews after the requisite unlocker patching. I haven't had a chance to try iCloud though, so I can't confirm what yozh is seeing.

Google applelsifusionmpt 3.0.0.pkg which is an installer that drops the kext in and does other necessary stuff. Apart from some apps crashing I now have a working system, including the vmware tools, video and sound driver, it boots in about two minutes.

googling that doesn't seem to return any relevant results, other than this thread

This is probably a donk question, and I know I am a lurker... but I've been installing osx on pcs since it required pearPC....

That said it is now noted at

http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

that the problem no longer occurs in Fusion 4.1.2 or later -- so my question is, would using the vmware tools from Fusion 4.1.3 on VMWorkstaion 8.0.4 prevent the ugly kernel panic, or do we need donk to modify them in someway to accomplish this without "patching" method found at

http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809

That said, I am running Both Lion and Mountain Lion GM in VMWorkstaion 8.0.4 on Windows 8 Release Preview build 8400 on 3 monitors (Quadro FX 570 x2) on a Dell Precision T3400 with 8GB of ram....

Just want to be careful not to hose the Installation of Mountain Lion GM I have working :)

Thanks,

gfdos.sys

Is there a way I can boot it in verbose mode so i can see what's going wrong possibly?
Just hold the Win (or command key, if you have a mac keyboard) + v, as soon as the gray VMware EFI screen comes up (make sure you click on the screen so it has focus), and after a few seconds you should see the background change to black. Keep holding win/command + v until you see OS X start booting verbosely, black background and all. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced problems installing the VMWare tech preview (legit download from their website)? I'm getting MSI install errors when I try to install it...searching around the net reveals a number of people with the same problem, but the VMWare devs say it's a Windows issue and don't seem to want to go any further from their end...I previously had the last version of Workstation installed, and it won't successfully uninstall, either, citing MSI install errors.

Searching had me delete a million different things, attempt a few different cmd prompt install commands, all to no avail. Has anyone seen this issue and resolved it?

• 5 weeks later...