Any luck with 10.8 Mountain Lion DP 1 on VMware?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
you have not to update from lion, but do you have already installed it or you need to install?

Anyway if as I say in first point, you can't neither boot the installer you need to copy in this path Volumes/YourMLHddlabel/System/Library/Extensions of your virtual scsi hdd FakeSMC.kext and maybe AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext taken from your Lion, then to make these patches work you need to repair/fix permissions of those files in that folder path, so at the next reboot you can load up your vmdk installer.

On a single file you can do this way:

open terminal
give sudo su
reach that folder path through cd Volumes/YourMLHddLabel/S/L/E

chown -R 0:0 FakeSMC.kext

chmod -R 755 FakeSMC.kext

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
So based on this http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809 I was able to install tools and guestd on my ESXi installation. All is running good now, a bit smoother after the tools installation.

I do have 1 issue, which is strange, not even sure why its bothering me. When I go to youtube on chrome only the first time the first video plays, others seemed to just show black screen while counter is moving all the flash ads and other stuff are working, not that I`m planing to watch flash videos, just interesting..... In safari any video I play is just white screen ....

Not that I`m planing to play much youtube thru my virtual machine, its still interesting why this is happening, I tried a clean snapshot and its doing the same.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
about the videos same issue after a while, could be the beta bugs or QE/CI missing callings, indeed for me on workstation 8.0.2 no need to fix the vmtools, ESXi is totally another environment, another world I would say

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

about the videos same issue after a while, could be the beta bugs or QE/CI missing callings, indeed for me on workstation 8.0.2 no need to fix the vmtools, ESXi is totally another environment, another world I would say

I didnt need the tools, but they seemed to make things just a bit snappy so I keep them :)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

ESXi 5 is a little behind Workstation 8, Player 4 and Fusion 4 but only because the patches the hosted products have are not yet available on ESxi. Otherwise a lot of the code for the VM monitor is common across all those products.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hey guys what guide you guys used to create a patched VMDK from the Installation DMG ? I want to try to follow it for installation. I know basic steps are to restore the basesystem.dmg to a partition and copy over the package folder, then copy the kext, is that all ?

The thing is when I do that, the VM doesnt even boot from the VMDK, I must be missing a step to make it bootable or something

thecrazy

thecrazy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I made it! :happymac:

Install the following steps:

Created a Virtual Machine for Lion 10.7
Edited the .vmx file and set this: smc.present = "TRUE"

Once the installation is complete (Patience, each boot takes a long time):

Install FakeSMC.kext with Kext Wizard
Install darwin.iso of Unlocker 1.0.2
Install VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg

Reset Virtual Machine and ready (Now the booting time normal as is in the Lion)

Thanks to all :thumbsup_anim:

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
I dont know, I dont get what it is I`m doing wrong in creating a bootable VMDK with installer....

I restored the baseimage.dmg to a partition. I copied over kernelcache, I added the fakesmc and SCSI driver, copied the packages, added the kernel cache in com.apple.Boot.plist, but I cant get it to boot, I dont get anything just cant find a boot device, what did I miss ?
+

EDIT: Ok created a 5GB VMDK and it seems to boot now, but stuck at "still waiting for root device" some how my SCSI driver is not working ?

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I didn't copy over any SCSI drivers and mine booted fine.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

I didn't copy over any SCSI drivers and mine booted fine.

On ESXi ? You didnt copy over the AppleLSI....kext ?

Interestingly I just made a VMDK for Lion from GM DMG and it worked fine, so not sure what Im missing, I mean I have a full machine running so this is just so I dont have to create on fusion at later time and move over to ESXi (also just want to see it work, this way)

Edited by yozh, 23 February 2012 - 02:06 AM.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
it seems that starting from lion the kext cache doesn't work anymore, however I had the same issue still waiting for root device changing from VM bios the scsi order didn't do the trick rather bring me back to the EFI console, I discovered that this was due to the fact that after installing I have removed/moved/added the virtual scsi hdd changing its position in vm settings from 2nd to the 1st (as primary) and get an unresponsive system, so I suggest you don't switch the virtual scsi hdd after install just remove the hdd installer.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
OK, I give up, I guess my installation procedure will be to install via MacBook Fusion and then move it over to the ESXi server. I tried everything possible including using a USB drive, with USB drive I do get to the installation to boot, but I cant click on anything, mouse actually moves, but I cant click the -> on the language screen..... This is with fakesmc and in the vmx file smc = false, with smc=true it never boots just gets stuck on the Ethernet adapter or DSMOS has arrived and actually has a beachball.....

Not sure what else to do, the VMDK is not booting and USB is giving me issues.... I do have a fully working Mlion setup and I guess I should just live with that ...

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

OK, I give up, I guess my installation procedure will be to install via MacBook Fusion and then move it over to the ESXi server. I tried everything possible including using a USB drive, with USB drive I do get to the installation to boot, but I cant click on anything, mouse actually moves, but I cant click the -> on the language screen..... This is with fakesmc and in the vmx file smc = false, with smc=true it never boots just gets stuck on the Ethernet adapter or DSMOS has arrived and actually has a beachball.....

Not sure what else to do, the VMDK is not booting and USB is giving me issues.... I do have a fully working Mlion setup and I guess I should just live with that ...

I know this doesn't make sense, but the same is happening here, with smc.present=false, the installer vmdx never ever boots, setting it to true, it boots after a while. Since I got sandbox profile errors with quite a few stock apps, I have tried to reinstall the os. After reinstall I booted the os, dropped fakesmc in again, repaired permissions, switched off the vm, quitted vmware, set smc.present=flase, reboot and all is well, boots in about two minutes, after the reinstall all apps are working. The only remaining issue is the inability to import and trust a root ca, whatever I do, the ca remains untrusted.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
I guess I cant just stop, tried with multiple AppleLSIfusion.kext and even if I get to boot from USB it does not see ESXi SCSI drives, this is so strange since I have a working Mlion installation with same kext, but during install it just doesnt see the drives !!!! EFI sees the drive, but OSX doesnt, unless I`m putting the kext in the wrong folder, but putting the fakesmc.kext in the same folder loads it (i know its right system/library/extensions/) I wasted 3 days now trying this ....

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
2 things I learned, 1 the AppleLSIfusion.kext does not work in installer to see the ESXi drives during installation, dont know why, but it does not. Also under the 64 machine the IDE CD-ROM/Drives do not work and in 32bit they do.... I spent a lot of time on this, I can say wasted time, but still not sure why the drives are not seen during install...probably missing something stupid....

giando76

giando76

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

I have created successfully a virtual machine with Apple Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Retail on VMware ESXi 5 using unlock software and booting from usb pendrive.I also tried to install Mountain Lion DP1, but it arrived in Disk Utility, the system does not recognize the virtual disk and I can't install it.

someone can tell me why?
how can i solve?

thanks
G.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Hi,

I have created successfully a virtual machine with Apple Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Retail on VMware ESXi 5 using unlock software and booting from usb pendrive.I also tried to install Mountain Lion DP1, but it arrived in Disk Utility, the system does not recognize the virtual disk and I can't install it.

someone can tell me why?
how can i solve?

thanks
G.

If you read my crying posts, I spent 3 days, I still dont understand why it doesnt see it, same install method on VMWare workstation or Fusion works fine, but not on ESXi, even using the 10.7.1 SCSI Kext.....'

But if you have time, create the machine in VMware workstation, same process drop in fakesmc.kext and 10.7.1 applelsifusion.kext in to system/library/extension and move that VM to your ESXi box... Good luck

elephantgod

elephantgod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for your discussions. Really helpful. However i'm not quite clear about the "waiting for DSMOS" problem.

I now have working 10.8 on workstation 8.02 with the unlocker patch. However it took so long to boot in desktop (15mins for me) and verbose shows its "waiting for DSMOS". If i understood rightly from the previuos posts, seems i need to fix file permission. But exactly which file and how ?

Can anyone post a little bit clearer solution to reduce boot time? Thanks a lot !!!

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
About to try DP2 :) wish me luck

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
OK after a bit of struggle still DP2 still works, same method fakesmc.kext and AppeLSIFusion.kext and all good, this one is more stable and snapper...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy