Any luck with 10.8 Mountain Lion DP 1 on VMware?

75 posts in this topic

^ Installed it using a installer vmdk created from the .dmg, in the same way as with Lion.

The installer vmdk booted quickly or in 10-15 minutes too?

You experience the same stop on ethernet address, spinning beachball, no led activity and after 10-15 min you see the desktop normally?

The installer vmdk booted quickly or in 10-15 minutes too?

You experience the same stop on ethernet address, spinning beachball, no led activity and after 10-15 min you see the desktop normally?

as far as I can remember the "install vmdk" booted quickly, and yes after about 13 minutes I end up at the desktop.

Did it!

Like a fool I didn't fixed the permission after copying the older kext

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HddLabel/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

After this, I get instantaneous boot for the installer vmdk.

Booting ML DP1 verbose given me waiting for dsmos too, but after replacing again the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext it worked fine, around a couple of minutes to load up, everything seemed working.

Until a correct shutdown, at the next boot in verbose mode I get a loop with: still waiting for root device

Did it!

Like a fool I didn't fixed the permission after copying the older kext

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HddLabel/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

After this, I get instantaneous boot for the installer vmdk.

Booting ML DP1 verbose given me waiting for dsmos too, but after replacing again the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext it worked fine, around a couple of minutes to load up, everything seemed working.

Until a correct shutdown, at the next boot in verbose mode I get a loop with: still waiting for root device

You can fix that by setting permissions correctly for applelsifusionmpt.kext. The setting smcpresent= "false" fixed it for me, now indeed with the fakesmc.kext and this setting in the vmx, ML boots in about two minutes and keyboard + mouse do work. Going to try and install the vmware tools next.

edit: ML does look like crash central, some applications (mail, reminders, notes) are crashing: failed to compile sandbox profile.

I've fixed permissions, but now my issue is this when launch the VM in the grey vmware logo appears EFI Virtual SCSI Drive unsuccessful, if i press f8 before and go to boot manager and choose scsi hard drive it boots but hangs on still waiting for root device, it can't find the hdd I guess, I've tried editing in L/P/SC com.apple.boot.plist adding in kernel flags -v rd=disk0s2 (that's the partition where I've installed ML) but nothing.

I've fixed permission, but now my issue is this when launch the VM in the grey vmware logo appears EFI Virtual SCSI Drive unsuccessful, if before i press f8 and go to boot manager and choose scsi hard drive it boots but hangs on still waiting for root device, it can't find the hdd I guess, I've tried in L/P/SC on com.apple.boot.plist adding in kernel flags -v rd=disk0s2 (that's the partition where I've installed ML) but nothing.

Google applelsifusionmpt 3.0.0.pkg which is an installer that drops the kext in and does other necessary stuff. Apart from some apps crashing I now have a working system, including the vmware tools, video and sound driver, it boots in about two minutes.

I already have that old kext, about the EFI virtual scsi I have disabled the efi network from boot options and it's ok, but I still get the waiting for root device that is without a shadow of doubt related to the virtual scsi hdd detection.

I've just created the user and completed the welcome screen then shutdown a working system without sound and vmtools of course but at the next startup no led activity and still waiting for root device.

I'm reinstalling right now.

^ I had the same problem as you, first I changed the boot order in the bios, which obviously isn't related to waiting for boot device, that means the kext hasn't been loaded correctly, therefore I am suggesting using the pkg as it will make sure the kext is installed properly.

edit: to make sure there is no confusion, I am talking about applelsifusionmpt.kext. Without it, no scsi, so that's why you get waiting for root device.

Solved, here are the steps I did to make ML DP1 working on Vmware 8.0.2 :

0. Created a VM with 2 gb ram, 1 processor, cd/dvd scsi, usb, sound card, display, NAT, guest OS Server 10.6 64 bit

1. Created a vmdk installer from ML DP1 dmg as Lion

2. Installed it on a second virtual scsi hdd

3. Copied through a working OSX VM or from installer vmdk terminal in the S/L/E folder FakeSMC.kext

4. From terminal typed sudo su then chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YourMLDP1HddLabel/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (this take a while)

5. No touch on AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext left the original one

6. Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg, guestd_patches.pkg, EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3_Lion.pkg and Darwin Vmtools got full graphics, audio/sound and shared folder, vm interaction

Everything is fine boot in less than 2 minutes.

Thanks all for your support.

edit: forgotten step edited the .vmx and set this line smc.present = "FALSE"

• Like 1

0. Created a VM with 2 gb ram, 1 processor, cd/dvd scsi, usb, sound card, display, NAT, guest OS Server 10.6 64 bit

3. Copied through a working OSX VM or from installer vmdk terminal in the S/L/E folder FakeSMC.kext

4. From terminal typed sudo su then chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YourMLDP1HddLabel/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (this take a while)

6. Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg, guestd_patches.pkg, EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3_Lion.pkg and Darwin Vmtools got full graphics, audio/sound and shared folder, vm interaction

I don't suppose, magically, that QE/CI works now? :P

So I got the installer to work and everything turns on now, but I'm stuck in the same Keyboard/Mouse or no boot hell. In fact, I haven't been able to get a full boot even once (!) without FakeSMC.kext. Anyone find a workaround to successful (normal) booting with input working? Possibly copy the VMWare input kexts?

don't understand if you face no mouse and keyboard on the installed ML or during the installer vmdk. Try to plug a usb mouse (and maybe a usb keyboard) before launch the VM, make sure to enable both under VM settings (Add and Enable USB Controller), for installing system mouse is enough.

edit: forgotten step edited the .vmx and set this line smc.present = "FALSE"

Hi all!

Can you give me a more detailed guide ? My VMWare (8.0.2) always freeze at the grey Apple logo.

Also, I don't know what you mean at the third point of your guide, can you explain it for me ?

I have a Lion (10.7.3) installed on my Computer, but I don't want to update it for a preview version.

Thanks for you help in advance!

you have not to update from lion, but do you have already installed it or you need to install?

Anyway if as I say in first point, you can't neither boot the installer you need to copy in this path Volumes/YourMLHddlabel/System/Library/Extensions of your virtual scsi hdd FakeSMC.kext and maybe AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext taken from your Lion, then to make these patches work you need to repair/fix permissions of those files in that folder path, so at the next reboot you can load up your vmdk installer.

On a single file you can do this way:

open terminal

give sudo su

reach that folder path through cd Volumes/YourMLHddLabel/S/L/E

chown -R 0:0 FakeSMC.kext

chmod -R 755 FakeSMC.kext

So based on this http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809 I was able to install tools and guestd on my ESXi installation. All is running good now, a bit smoother after the tools installation.

I do have 1 issue, which is strange, not even sure why its bothering me. When I go to youtube on chrome only the first time the first video plays, others seemed to just show black screen while counter is moving all the flash ads and other stuff are working, not that I`m planing to watch flash videos, just interesting..... In safari any video I play is just white screen ....

Not that I`m planing to play much youtube thru my virtual machine, its still interesting why this is happening, I tried a clean snapshot and its doing the same.

about the videos same issue after a while, could be the beta bugs or QE/CI missing callings, indeed for me on workstation 8.0.2 no need to fix the vmtools, ESXi is totally another environment, another world I would say

I didnt need the tools, but they seemed to make things just a bit snappy so I keep them :)

about the videos same issue after a while, could be the beta bugs or QE/CI missing callings, indeed for me on workstation 8.0.2 no need to fix the vmtools, ESXi is totally another environment, another world I would say

ESXi 5 is a little behind Workstation 8, Player 4 and Fusion 4 but only because the patches the hosted products have are not yet available on ESxi. Otherwise a lot of the code for the VM monitor is common across all those products.

Hey guys what guide you guys used to create a patched VMDK from the Installation DMG ? I want to try to follow it for installation. I know basic steps are to restore the basesystem.dmg to a partition and copy over the package folder, then copy the kext, is that all ?

The thing is when I do that, the VM doesnt even boot from the VMDK, I must be missing a step to make it bootable or something

I made it! :happymac:

Install the following steps:

Created a Virtual Machine for Lion 10.7

Edited the .vmx file and set this: smc.present = "TRUE"

Once the installation is complete (Patience, each boot takes a long time):

Install FakeSMC.kext with Kext Wizard

Install darwin.iso of Unlocker 1.0.2

Install VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg

Reset Virtual Machine and ready (Now the booting time normal as is in the Lion)

Thanks to all :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

I dont know, I dont get what it is I`m doing wrong in creating a bootable VMDK with installer....

I restored the baseimage.dmg to a partition. I copied over kernelcache, I added the fakesmc and SCSI driver, copied the packages, added the kernel cache in com.apple.Boot.plist, but I cant get it to boot, I dont get anything just cant find a boot device, what did I miss ?

+

EDIT: Ok created a 5GB VMDK and it seems to boot now, but stuck at "still waiting for root device" some how my SCSI driver is not working ?

I didn't copy over any SCSI drivers and mine booted fine.

On ESXi ? You didnt copy over the AppleLSI....kext ?

Interestingly I just made a VMDK for Lion from GM DMG and it worked fine, so not sure what Im missing, I mean I have a full machine running so this is just so I dont have to create on fusion at later time and move over to ESXi (also just want to see it work, this way)

Edited by yozh