Any luck with 10.8 Mountain Lion DP 1 on VMware?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I can add my vmx file here, but I`m on ESXi 5.... I do have smc.present = "FALSE" and fakesmc.kext, my boot time is less then a minute and I even reduced the RAM from 2GB to 1GB.

Ok I added the file, I cloned my current 10.7.3 machine, I never installed the unlocker, just installed the OS on Fusion, added the SCSI driver and fakesmc.kext and converted the vmdk on the ESXi 5 server.

Dont pay attention to DVS Ethernet settings this is for the distributed switch...

Attached Files

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for your .vmx, but I think mine it's ok, and yes I know you can reduce the ram after, it's just a check before installing on the minimum hardware requirements. I've tried replacing in the vmdk installer image in S/L/E folder the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext with the old one, it seems more reactive in the first part of boot but it hangs on AppleIntel8254XEthernet address showing the spinning beachball wait cursor, and no activity led of virtual scsi hdd. Haven't tried yet updating a previous install of Lion VM, but I haven't enough space to clone.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809 fixes the tools problem. Tried on Fusion 4.1.1 on Macbook Pro and is pretty slow booting but OK when it has started.

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Thanks for your .vmx, but I think mine it's ok, and yes I know you can reduce the ram after, it's just a check before installing on the minimum hardware requirements. I've tried replacing in the vmdk installer image in S/L/E folder the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext with the old one, it seems more reactive in the first part of boot but it hangs on AppleIntel8254XEthernet address showing the spinning beachball wait cursor, and no activity led of virtual scsi hdd. Haven't tried yet updating a previous install of Lion VM, but I haven't enough space to clone.

That's where it "hangs" on my system as well, and indeed no activity on the hdd, but... on my system, if I wait about 10 to 15 minutes, all of a sudden it actually boots to desktop and I can fully use ML. Now when I first added the fakesmc.kext, it boots normally, but no keyboard / mouse (useless in other words). I actually had smc=true in de vmx, so changed it, slapped the kext back in, but now I get waiting for dsmos and it doesn't proceed any further, getting rid of the fakesmc.kext fixes this, but this comes with an unacceptable boot time of 15 minutes.

edit: didn't notice it at first, but it is indeed waiting for dsmos to arrive for a full 13 minutes, then it announces the arrival of dsmos and gets straight to the desktop.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
but are you talking about an installed ML or the installer vmdk created from the .dmg developer preview?

If you have already installed ML how have you done exactly?

That's my first issue I can't even install it, the vmtools for now are last of my issues.

Waited for an hour but the spinning beachball stay there either with apple logo either with verbose.

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
^ Installed it using a installer vmdk created from the .dmg, in the same way as with Lion.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

^ Installed it using a installer vmdk created from the .dmg, in the same way as with Lion.

The installer vmdk booted quickly or in 10-15 minutes too?

You experience the same stop on ethernet address, spinning beachball, no led activity and after 10-15 min you see the desktop normally?

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

The installer vmdk booted quickly or in 10-15 minutes too?

You experience the same stop on ethernet address, spinning beachball, no led activity and after 10-15 min you see the desktop normally?

as far as I can remember the "install vmdk" booted quickly, and yes after about 13 minutes I end up at the desktop.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Did it!

Like a fool I didn't fixed the permission after copying the older kext

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HddLabel/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

After this, I get instantaneous boot for the installer vmdk.

Booting ML DP1 verbose given me waiting for dsmos too, but after replacing again the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext it worked fine, around a couple of minutes to load up, everything seemed working.

Until a correct shutdown, at the next boot in verbose mode I get a loop with: still waiting for root device

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Did it!

Like a fool I didn't fixed the permission after copying the older kext

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HddLabel/Library/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

After this, I get instantaneous boot for the installer vmdk.

Booting ML DP1 verbose given me waiting for dsmos too, but after replacing again the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext it worked fine, around a couple of minutes to load up, everything seemed working.

Until a correct shutdown, at the next boot in verbose mode I get a loop with: still waiting for root device

You can fix that by setting permissions correctly for applelsifusionmpt.kext. The setting smcpresent= "false" fixed it for me, now indeed with the fakesmc.kext and this setting in the vmx, ML boots in about two minutes and keyboard + mouse do work. Going to try and install the vmware tools next.

edit: ML does look like crash central, some applications (mail, reminders, notes) are crashing: failed to compile sandbox profile.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I've fixed permissions, but now my issue is this when launch the VM in the grey vmware logo appears EFI Virtual SCSI Drive unsuccessful, if i press f8 before and go to boot manager and choose scsi hard drive it boots but hangs on still waiting for root device, it can't find the hdd I guess, I've tried editing in L/P/SC com.apple.boot.plist adding in kernel flags -v rd=disk0s2 (that's the partition where I've installed ML) but nothing.

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I've fixed permission, but now my issue is this when launch the VM in the grey vmware logo appears EFI Virtual SCSI Drive unsuccessful, if before i press f8 and go to boot manager and choose scsi hard drive it boots but hangs on still waiting for root device, it can't find the hdd I guess, I've tried in L/P/SC on com.apple.boot.plist adding in kernel flags -v rd=disk0s2 (that's the partition where I've installed ML) but nothing.

Google applelsifusionmpt 3.0.0.pkg which is an installer that drops the kext in and does other necessary stuff. Apart from some apps crashing I now have a working system, including the vmware tools, video and sound driver, it boots in about two minutes.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I already have that old kext, about the EFI virtual scsi I have disabled the efi network from boot options and it's ok, but I still get the waiting for root device that is without a shadow of doubt related to the virtual scsi hdd detection.

I've just created the user and completed the welcome screen then shutdown a working system without sound and vmtools of course but at the next startup no led activity and still waiting for root device.

I'm reinstalling right now.

jvangent100

jvangent100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
^ I had the same problem as you, first I changed the boot order in the bios, which obviously isn't related to waiting for boot device, that means the kext hasn't been loaded correctly, therefore I am suggesting using the pkg as it will make sure the kext is installed properly.

edit: to make sure there is no confusion, I am talking about applelsifusionmpt.kext. Without it, no scsi, so that's why you get waiting for root device.

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Solved, here are the steps I did to make ML DP1 working on Vmware 8.0.2 :

0. Created a VM with 2 gb ram, 1 processor, cd/dvd scsi, usb, sound card, display, NAT, guest OS Server 10.6 64 bit
1. Created a vmdk installer from ML DP1 dmg as Lion
2. Installed it on a second virtual scsi hdd
3. Copied through a working OSX VM or from installer vmdk terminal in the S/L/E folder FakeSMC.kext
4. From terminal typed sudo su then chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YourMLDP1HddLabel/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (this take a while)
5. No touch on AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext left the original one
6. Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg, guestd_patches.pkg, EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3_Lion.pkg and Darwin Vmtools got full graphics, audio/sound and shared folder, vm interaction

Everything is fine boot in less than 2 minutes.
Thanks all for your support.

edit: forgotten step edited the .vmx and set this line smc.present = "FALSE"

elitee

elitee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

0. Created a VM with 2 gb ram, 1 processor, cd/dvd scsi, usb, sound card, display, NAT, guest OS Server 10.6 64 bit
3. Copied through a working OSX VM or from installer vmdk terminal in the S/L/E folder FakeSMC.kext
4. From terminal typed sudo su then chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YourMLDP1HddLabel/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (this take a while)
6. Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.4_OS_10.6-7.pkg, guestd_patches.pkg, EnsoniqAudioPCI_v1.0.3_Lion.pkg and Darwin Vmtools got full graphics, audio/sound and shared folder, vm interaction

I don't suppose, magically, that QE/CI works now? :P

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
of course not, I mean full resolution and auto-fit screen, but at least the animations are smooth and some transparency on menus, but naturally full of bugs as any good first preview.

DarthNerdus

DarthNerdus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I got the installer to work and everything turns on now, but I'm stuck in the same Keyboard/Mouse or no boot hell. In fact, I haven't been able to get a full boot even once (!) without FakeSMC.kext. Anyone find a workaround to successful (normal) booting with input working? Possibly copy the VMWare input kexts?

jackluke

jackluke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
don't understand if you face no mouse and keyboard on the installed ML or during the installer vmdk. Try to plug a usb mouse (and maybe a usb keyboard) before launch the VM, make sure to enable both under VM settings (Add and Enable USB Controller), for installing system mouse is enough.

SDani

SDani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, gadgets, electronics, guitars,

edit: forgotten step edited the .vmx and set this line smc.present = "FALSE"

Hi all!

Can you give me a more detailed guide ? My VMWare (8.0.2) always freeze at the grey Apple logo.

Also, I don't know what you mean at the third point of your guide, can you explain it for me ?
I have a Lion (10.7.3) installed on my Computer, but I don't want to update it for a preview version.

Thanks for you help in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy