10.8 carries fix for 6950/6970

rominator

20 posts in this topic

Does the weird quirks like iTunes crashing still occur in 10.8? Read on netkas' forum that it's still apparent in ML but will most likely be seolved in future developer seeds.

I've not managed to get my 6970 working on my hack at all yet with 10.8. I've only seen reports of the 6950 and 6970 working on genuine macs so far. It's beginning to look like we may have a chameleon issue standing between us and success at the moment :(

@ ^Andy^ I see. I checked out the thread and noticed you also said that you've tried compiling different versions of cham to avail to boot up with your 6970 so I guess it truly is a cham issue at the moment. Haven't seen you around in a while how've you been?

@ ^Andy^ I see. I checked out the thread and noticed you also said that you've tried compiling different versions of cham to avail to boot up with your 6970 so I guess it truly is a cham issue at the moment. Haven't seen you around in a while how've you been?

I've been good thanks just a little busy - hows things with you?

As a test I actually stripped pretty much everything from the ati.c file in chameleon and left only the 6970 framebuffer selection and only inject the bios - I removed all of the other property injection and even though that still boots lion with a working 6970 it still refuses to get the card working in mountain lion. There are a few things left to try yet though - like flashing the card with the bios from a known working card (verified by anybody with a genuine mac and 6970) or looking for anything else that may be crashing the drivers via booting up with screen sharing enabled and examining the logs via another mac. Of course if nothing else works it will be time to sit back and wait for the big boys to solve it.

Just been busy at work myself been a busy year thus far.

I myself wish I had access to a Mac Pro to actaully to run some tests with my loner 6950 that I borrowed from a friend for some experimenting. Was it necessary to strip ati.c down to just those bare minimums in order for your 6970 to boot in Lion? In ML, does the driver not load at all? Or is their a KP backtracing to the driver itself. I'm trying to do a little digging myself with this card but I haven't gotten anywhere really. Unfortunately, cham really is a big stopping factor for me as the card doesn't even seem to be loaded.

I'll give your idea of a stripped down ati.c a shot and see how that works out for me.

Just been busy at work myself been a busy year thus far.

I myself wish I had access to a Mac Pro to actaully to run some tests with my loner 6950 that I borrowed from a friend for some experimenting. Was it necessary to strip ati.c down to just those bare minimums in order for your 6970 to boot in Lion? In ML, does the driver not load at all? Or is their a KP backtracing to the driver itself. I'm trying to do a little digging myself with this card but I haven't gotten anywhere really. Unfortunately, cham really is a big stopping factor for me as the card doesn't even seem to be loaded.

I'll give your idea of a stripped down ati.c a shot and see how that works out for me.

You dont need to strip down the ati.c file for 10.7 - that was just an act of desperation on my part :)

For lion just use the latest trunk build (or any recentish build) of chameleon - you may need to edit the ati.c file to add in the device id for your card or if its already present change the framebuffer name from kNull to kGibba) and recompile it. You should then be able to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes as long as you have installed netkas patched drivers.

If you dont want to use graphicsenabler or cant be arsed to recompile chameleon then use netkas recent ATY_init.kext and boot with graphicsenabler=no.

Tip to get to the desktop to install the modified drivers and ATY_init in the first place just boot with -s and delete the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle from the s/l/e folder (back it up first or rename instead of delete). You should then be able to boot to a 2d full res desktop and be able to install the patched driver.

If you get this far you should have a mostly working 6950/70 complete with cold boot bug requiring a press of teh reset button after a cold boot/white screen hang.

NOTE this only works for 10.7 - as yet i have found nothing that works for 10.8

NOTE this only works for 10.7 - as yet i have found nothing that works for 10.8

Andy will be back to report that we have found a way to get 6950/70 working in Hacks.

For one guy, using a 5770 in another slot and then switching cards, for Andy, letting machine boot to solid white then putting to sleep and waking up.

At that point 6950/70 comes to life and works as well as it does in a real Mac on 10.8, which is pretty damn well with exception of iTunes still being a troublemaker.

Andy will be back to report that we have found a way to get 6950/70 working in Hacks.

For one guy, using a 5770 in another slot and then switching cards, for Andy, letting machine boot to solid white then putting to sleep and waking up.

At that point 6950/70 comes to life and works as well as it does in a real Mac on 10.8, which is pretty damn well with exception of iTunes still being a troublemaker.

And as predicted here I am :)

As Rominator says for me all I had to do was press the power button once the white screen and mouse pointer arrived. This puts the hack to sleep (yup sleep even works lol) , wait a few seconds and press it again to wake the hack and voila one working 6970 !

@ ^Andy^ Tell me how I actually did this with the 6950 I have handy and when it wakes from sleep the display is actually recognized and I'm greeted with the login screen

@RominatorI never had any success with booting with more than 1 gpu populating a pcie lane but I've heard of dsdt edits that allow for this I just never had the chance to do so. Might try to test my 4850 with the 6950 and see if it stops the iTunes crashing (pain in the arse to switch gpus just to play my music of sync my iPhone).

Thanks for the tips guys I'll play around with the cards for a bit to check some things out.

@ ^Andy^ Tell me how I actually did this with the 6950 I have handy and when it wakes from sleep the display is actually recognized and I'm greeted with the login screen

@RominatorI never had any success with booting with more than 1 gpu populating a pcie lane but I've heard of dsdt edits that allow for this I just never had the chance to do so. Might try to test my 4850 with the 6950 and see if it stops the iTunes crashing (pain in the arse to switch gpus just to play my music of sync my iPhone).

Thanks for the tips guys I'll play around with the cards for a bit to check some things out.

Ok for me it works with a single 6970 card in pcie slot 1. The important part is to make sure GraphicsEnabler=No otherwise sleep wont work and you wont be able to perform the required trick to initialise the card. Once you have done that boot up and you should see a white screen with the mouse pointer visible. At this point press the power button and it will send your hack to sleep. Once its asleep (Zzzz) wake it up by pressing the power button again and it should be working.

P.S itunes still crashes but geekbench and dvd player are fine if you use ATY_init.

IMPORTANT - GraphicsEnabler can and will prevent sleep working with the 6970 so will prevent you from getting anywhere - do NOT use it!

I'm going to do another clean install later on today at some point to verify everything again just to be sure that I dont have any half hacked bootloaders or kexts still installed (Ive already verified this on 2 seperate installs on 2 seperate drives but I need to do it again anyway to test my ML Install package properly).

Hello guys, that white screen issue could simply be related to output tables, explaining why the sleep makes it ok by redirecting displays. Have you tried to patch them so they fit your cards ?

Nope, but if anybody can explain how to do it I will give it a try once I finish off a couple of mountain lion packages for the p8p67 pro

Nope, but if anybody can explain how to do it I will give it a try once I finish off a couple of mountain lion packages for the p8p67 pro

I second this as well, if there's a guide or someway I could be told on how to do it I'd certainly give it a try to avoid having to go through sleep for the displays to be properly detected.

And ^Andy^ I did notice that with ge=yes the system would hang and not actually go into sleep (just did it as a test). ATY_init does indeed fix GB and dvd player (although I don't use DVD player at all but I use GB for benching).

I know there's a thread in this section where you grab your rom bios image from windows for your card and what it seems like they did was edit the framebuffer table(?) correct me if I'm wrong, to get more outputs for their cards using a specific framebuffer. Not entirely sure how that would help the white screen issue from my knowledge but I'm always open to suggestions and other ways.

I second this as well, if there's a guide or someway I could be told on how to do it I'd certainly give it a try to avoid having to go through sleep for the displays to be properly detected.

And ^Andy^ I did notice that with ge=yes the system would hang and not actually go into sleep (just did it as a test). ATY_init does indeed fix GB and dvd player (although I don't use DVD player at all but I use GB for benching).

I know there's a thread in this section where you grab your rom bios image from windows for your card and what it seems like they did was edit the framebuffer table(?) correct me if I'm wrong, to get more outputs for their cards using a specific framebuffer. Not entirely sure how that would help the white screen issue from my knowledge but I'm always open to suggestions and other ways.

Im not convinced it will help now i think about it because that doesn't explain why it works on a genuine mac using the same cards and same bios

Look over that thread http://www.insanelym...owtopic=252061.. It's quite boring to do but not much complicated

Maybe it works on mac because the EFI module did his job before. Have you extracted the IOReg to see if there wasn't some news keys ?

Trying to connect it from EFI shell could also be a way, but a bit complicated.

Btw Andy, I'd be very interested in your packages for the P8P67 Pro :)

Tried twice on Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 running an EFI'd 6950 (flashed to 6970)

The benchmark crashes out causing HARD KP.

Maybe OpenCl not working for this card?

I can confirm this behaviour with a 6970 - instant KP (even using netkas latest patched x3000 kext)