• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey guys, wanted to be the bearer of good news.

Trying out 10.8 on a Mac Pro, I discovered that it is no longer necessary to add GTX560 id, my guess is this applies to all GTX5xx cards.

Also, no more need to fiddle with AGPM kext, cards throttling by themselves

PsyD@f`Ke

PsyD@f`Ke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Damn good news!
Only pitty I just bought a Quadro4000.

Very curious if there are any SandyBridge-E references, would be nice!

jsl

jsl

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Is the 5xx card's HDMI working now ?
Because I found only one DVI port is working for MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone II in Mountain Lion DP1 without Natit.kext.
In 10.7.1/10.7.2 I can get two DVI ports working at the same time with Natit.kext.
In 10.8 still get 2 DVI ports working at most with Natit.kext.
How can we make GeForce 5xx card's HDMI working in Lion or Mountain Lion ?

Menno

Menno

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It's sort of a unified driver now.

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
  <key>NVidiaRM</key>
  <dict>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
   <key>IOClass</key>
   <string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
   <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
   <string>IOService</string>
   <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
   <string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000</string>
   <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
   <string>0x000010de&amp;0x0000ffff</string>
   <key>IOProbeScore</key>
   <integer>60000</integer>
   <key>IOProviderClass</key>
   <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
  </dict>
</dict>

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,857 posts

no more need to fiddle with AGPM kext, cards throttling by themselves

I can confirm that on GT 425M, needed to patch AGPM on SL and Lion, now on ML it works OOB.

Posted Image

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I can confirm that on GT 425M, needed to patch AGPM on SL and Lion, now on ML it works OOB.

Posted Image

I can also confirm my 460 is working fine OOB, no OpenGL fix needed. However, Luxmark does not run properly, so I think I may need an OpenCL fix.

Proof: Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-02-17 at 12.53.31 PM.png   113KB   274 downloads

an1r0n

an1r0n

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
YEAAAH! So 460 works according to Blah101! Any fermi freezes / KP's ? I'm downloading 10.8 right now and will post my results over weekend. I'm using Gigabyte version of GTX 460 768MB !

I bet there won't be freezes since it seems that AGPM is finally history acording to Rominator! YEA!

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

YEAAAH! So 460 works according to Blah101! Any fermi freezes / KP's ? I'm downloading 10.8 right now and will post my results over weekend. I'm using Gigabyte version of GTX 460 768MB !

I bet there won't be freezes since it seems that AGPM is finally history acording to Rominator! YEA!

No freezes yet. Then again, I really haven't had frequent freezes since SL, I had maybe two or three in my whole time on Lion. Nothing on ML so far.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
I went ahead and replaced my Lion install with a fresh Mountain Lion. My GTX 460 worked OOB with my DSDT edit but how can I check that the power management is working without a AGPM edit?

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
i finally got around to test this on my hackintosh (ml installer simply crashed or froze on my gtx 480, so i made an image of my mbp ml install, copied it and for whatever reason it just works ... dunno what happened there).

so, some additional observations to my earlier post:
  • opencl works ootb on fermi (as other people have already mentioned), but apple seems to have removed the sm_20 code and hard setting it to 1.2 or 1.3 won't work either (-> luxmark and all other programs that want to use more complex opencl stuff (like local memory atomics) will fail)
  • small upside: they finally managed to display the correct clock frequency (cache sizes are still missing though)
  • opengl 3.3/4.x and opengl es 2.0 are not supported (yet?) - context creation fails if i set NSOpenGLPFAOpenGLProfile to 0x3300 or higher
  • there is definitely some kepler support (try find /System/Library/Extensions -type f | xargs strings 2>/dev/null | grep -i -E "kepler|gk11|gk10|gk20" in terminal)
  • apple forgot to strip the symbols from libclh.dylib (this will make some peoples lives easier ;))

also, can anybody with access to a geforce 200 series / gtx 260+ / ptx 1.2/1.3 card check if luxmark is still working correctly?

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
It looked to me like that my 460 was running at full speed without a LegacyAGPM kext so I put it back and it's switching power states fine again (going by the console log anyway). With logging enabled in the vanilla AGPM kext (and no Legacy one installed) I didn't see any state switching in the console so I don't think the card was throttling automatically. Perhaps it only works on certain cards/configs.

Also, the AGPM kext has changed slightly. The model identifiers are under a "Machines" subdirectory now.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts
Thanks cmf about the detailed info why OpenCL cant work if normal (complex) OpenCL code is used and onyl such easy things like OCLinfo works.

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
okay, i take back what i said earlier. i did some more digging and sm_20/fermi is fully supported (as is sm_30+, btw.).
the reason why it currently fails for some opencl programs is because of bugs in apples/nvidias code (e.g. using a mem_fence, read_mem_fence or write_mem_fence inside an opencl kernel will result in a build error).
since this is only the first preview and they changed lots of code, i guess this is to be expected.

i'm not sure where the problem with luxmark is, but it's probably a similar issue.

on a more or less related note: there is some interesting source code /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework/Versions/A/PrivateSources/ (tessellation shader anyone? ;))

KeNgoaiDao

KeNgoaiDao

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Can any guys confirm Nvidia GTX 560Ti works OOB in 10.8? :guitar:

Alex Stuccer

Alex Stuccer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Can any guys confirm Nvidia GTX 560Ti works OOB in 10.8? :guitar:

I can confirm it. Even the install process was done at right resolution.

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Good news, I hope that my EVGA 450 GTS now don't has any freezes anymore.. :)

Seems to be likely an Opengl issue, that they now, from what I read here, finally support. :)

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts
Unigine heaven OpenGL Benchmark can work 10.7 + 10.8

Happy benching with that new OS X Highend OpenGL Benchmark

Here you go: Info + DL + collected results
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=276944

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
Is there any way to confirm that the cards no longer need an AGPM edit for power management? I know my 460 is probably running full speed when I benchmark it, but how can I tell if it's throttling down when I'm just idling at the desktop?

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
@Riley Freeman you could always use iStats to check on the temps of your card during the bench and when it's done and just idling at the desktop and see if there's a difference between the temps there.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,121 posts
Riley:

Start OpenGL Extensions viewer and run the test in Full Screen. If it starts out with FPS in the hundreds and then suddenly jumps to 4000+ FPS then throttling is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy