Samsung Chronos 7 (NP700-Z5A) Successful install procedure. We have audio!

Samsung Chronos 7 laptop NP700 install snow leopard 10.6.3 help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

almyz125

almyz125

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi all, i've been able to get OS X 10.6.3 installed on my Chronos using the ##### method.
Here is what works right after the install:
-Keyboard
-USB 2.0 port
-Bluetooth
-Ethernet
-Screen gives VGA 1024x768x32 graphics(not full resolution, full res. = 1600x900x32.)

Things not working:
-Wifi
-Trackpad Fixed with Chimera 1.7.0, install via #####.
-Audio(Audio is garbled and can give feedback from microphone.) Use this kext: http://www.osx86.net..._voodoohda.html
-keyboard backlight
-USB 3.0 ports

Have not tested:
-Mini VGA port
-HDMI port

In order to boot from from ##### you need to edit some settings in the BIOS and erase the 8GB express Cache.
-First use diskpart or disk management in windows(or Gpart in Ubuntu) to make the SDD free space.
-AHCI = enabled
-UEFI boot = disabled

Boot into ##### swap the disk with a retail 10.6.3 disk. Press F5 to refresh the drives(Refresh can take 30-40 seconds). Before hitting enter on the install disk type: busratio=24

OR

Boot into iAtkos L3 V2 and install from there.

In order to install You will have to set the main disk to GUID Partition Table.(MBR allows booting from the HDD instead of always having to use #####.) I completely wiped my drive to do this. So you should back up your files from Windows. You can do this in disk utility. If you would like to dual boot with Windows along side OSX, you should create 2 partitions and set one to FAT for Windows to format later. After you are done partitioning continue with the OSX install if you do not want to dual boot. If you would like to dual boot exit the OSX installer and boot into a Windows installation disk and format the partition you set as FAT for Windows with the Windows partition editor. Install windows completely. Then boot back into and OSX install disk and continue.

In order to boot into OSX after the install replace the installation disk with the ##### disk and boot into the drive you installed it on.
Or leave the iAtkos install disk in and press F8 to select the OSX partition.

Once booted download #####. Use ##### to install Chimera, Voodoo PS2 mouse driver, MacBook Pro 8,1 SMBOIS, and a chameleon theme if you wish. also repair permissions. Do not install the HDA drivers listed in #####, also stay away from installing network drivers from there, they have caused me to kernel panic.

For audio download the kext i listed and kext wizard. Use kext wizard to install that kext in /system/library/extensions/ make sure to repair permissions.

Tools:

#####
http://www.tonymacx8...east-3.10.1.zip

Kext Wizard to install kext in system/library/extensions/ http://mac.softpedia...xt-Wizard.shtml

Problems I have run into:
-Cannot boot straight from the hard disk.(Have to use #####) Need to install OSX on MBR not GPT and use Chimera 1.7.0 as bootloader. Install Chimera via #####.
-Full Graphics
-Correct Sound Fixed with kext
-trackpad does not function Fixed with Chimera 1.7.0
-USB 3.0 ports do not function at all.
-Wifi

Please post if you have any ideas on how to fix the issues listed and I will edit the post to reflect those changes.

creker

creker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!
Recently bought 700z5a-S02 and successfully installed 10.7.3 on it.

Fully working:
keyboard
ethernet
usb 2.0 ports
display backlight - DSDT patch
sound - voodooHDA
hdmi port
sleep mode - sleepenabler.kext and DSDT patch
power button
bluetooth
web-camera

Working with some problems:
trackpad - works as a mouse with elan kext. Seems like no way to enable multitouch.
usb 3.0 ports - flash drives works perfectly, but have some problems with my iPhone. OS recognizes it but can't read or write anything.
Graphics - QE/CI/CL and full resolution but screen is tinted with white color

Not working:
keyboard backlight
wi-fi
battery icon - with voodoobattery icon shows up but it's broken

What i've done:
  • display backlight
    Insert under _SB this code
    Device (PNLF)
    {
    Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
    Name (_CID, "backlight")
    Name (_UID, 0x0A)
    Name (_STA, 0x0B)
    }
    After this you should get fully working backlight control under display settings
  • sleep mode
    First, install sleepenabler.kext (attached mine). Now we need to patch DSDT. My problem was that sleep mode was working but notebook immediately woked up. Using kernel.log i found which devices caused problems - GLAN, HDEF, EHC1, EHC2, PXSX. To fix this you need to delete _PRW method from this devices. I found _PRW only in GLAN and HDEF but this fixed sleep mode. Now you can enable sleep mode through menu or by pressing power button. Unfortunatelly closing lid doesn't put notebook to sleep, only turns off display backlight.
  • graphics
    Only Intel graphics working. To get full resolution you need to patch DSDT to enable dual-link. Found here http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851 After that I got full resolution with QE/CI but now screen is tinted with white color. Looks bad if you are looking at the screen from normal angle. Changing color profile and tilting screen further back reduces white tint to comfortable levels. It's better than 1024x768 without QE/CI anyway. HDMI port on the other hand is working perfectly.

Attached Files

creker

creker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tested sleep mode a bit more. Closing lid is putting notebook to sleep but on waking up display stays black while everything else is working. So you should always put notebook to sleep via software - either by pressing power button and choosing sleep or choosing sleep in Apple menu.

almyz125

almyz125

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hello!

Fully working:
keyboard
ethernet
usb 2.0 ports
sound - voodooHDA
hdmi port
power button
bluetooth
web-camera

trackpad - works as a mouse with elan kext. Seems like no way to enable multitouch.
usb 3.0 ports - flash drives works perfectly, but have some problems with my iPhone. OS recognizes it but can't read or write anything.

Not working:
keyboard backlight
wi-fi

What i've done:

• display backlight
    Device (PNLF)
    {
    Name (_CID, "backlight")
    Name (_UID, 0x0A)
    Name (_STA, 0x0B)
    }
    After this you should get fully working backlight control under display settings
  • sleep mode
    First, install sleepenabler.kext (attached mine). Now we need to patch DSDT. My problem was that sleep mode was working but notebook immediately woked up. Using kernel.log i found which devices caused problems - GLAN, HDEF, EHC1, EHC2, PXSX. To fix this you need to delete _PRW method from this devices. I found _PRW only in GLAN and HDEF but this fixed sleep mode. Now you can enable sleep mode through menu or by pressing power button. Unfortunatelly closing lid doesn't put notebook to sleep, only turns off display backlight.
  • graphics
    Only Intel graphics working. To get full resolution you need to patch DSDT to enable dual-link. Found here http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851 After that I got full resolution with QE/CI but now screen is tinted with white color. Looks bad if you are looking at the screen from normal angle. Changing color profile and tilting screen further back reduces white tint to comfortable levels. It's better than 1024x768 without QE/CI anyway. HDMI port on the other hand is working perfectly.

Nice work, let everyone know if graphics issues get resolved.

creker

creker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good news. I've managed to get battery indicator working and get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext so now apparently speedstep is working.

Battery.
Spoiler

CPUPowerManagement
Spoiler

As a bonus now sleep mode is working without SleepEnabler and you can put your notebook to sleep by closing the lid. You still need to wake it up by pressing power button.

I've attached original and patched DSDTs. You should probably extract SSDTs and apply pathes yourself. Something might be different.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dsdt.zip   45.37KB   239 downloads

almyz125

almyz125

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Good news. I've managed to get battery indicator working and get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext so now apparently speedstep is working.

Battery.

Spoiler

CPUPowerManagement
Spoiler

As a bonus now sleep mode is working without SleepEnabler and you can put your notebook to sleep by closing the lid. You still need to wake it up by pressing power button.

I've attached original and patched DSDTs. You should probably extract SSDTs and apply pathes yourself. Something might be different.

Awesome work. Any luck with the graphics issue? Also try testing this kext for wifi http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2229 I have not been able to test it.

creker

creker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's not working. I've tried many kexts and none of them is working.

As for the graphics. I didn't find any clue to how I can even try to solve this problem. I guess it's all boils down to dual graphics. We can only hope that someday Samsung will release BIOS update with manual dual graphics switch.
In the end, it's not bothering me that much. Except Wi-Fi all other major problems are solved.

almyz125

almyz125

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
hey creker, i'm back at trying to get lion back on this laptop. have you had any luck with the screen issues?

Macken

Macken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, etc.

Hello!

Fully working:
keyboard
ethernet
usb 2.0 ports
sound - voodooHDA
hdmi port
power button
bluetooth
web-camera

Not working:
keyboard backlight
wi-fi

What i've done:

• display backlight
    Device (PNLF)
    {
    Name (_CID, "backlight")
    Name (_UID, 0x0A)
    Name (_STA, 0x0B)
    }
  • sleep mode
  • graphics

I realize this is an old thread but I have a question regarding Crekers mention of _SB. As i said in the new user forum I'm new to Mavericks and Apple in general and I've recently installed Mavericks on my Samsung Chronos 7 and I was wondering what he means by _SB? Is this a particular program? Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I do have the backlit keyboard in Windows 7 and it would be nice to have it in Mavericks as well. Thanks.

WILLIDAKID

WILLIDAKID

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I cant get into my bios any help would be greatly appreciated np700z5a s0aus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Samsung, Chronos 7, laptop, NP700, install, snow leopard, 10.6.3, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy