The EVGA SR-2 (24 Core) Hackintosh... THE HACKINBEAST ! (w/Pics)

PunkNugget

13 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Here are the final pics of THE HACKINBEAST !!! I actually have Mac OS X 10.7.2 up and running fine now and the X5650's are OC'd to 4.0GHz stable at 34C in a 74F room, with GeekBench (v2.2.6) scores of 29152!!! With some tweaking I know this can go higher. (Special Edit: New GB Score: 29,465!!!). This unit's total cost $3,350. A Top-of-a-Line (equivalent) Mac Pro Tower (with all the trimmings) would cost around $10,750. This HackinBeast is also 30% faster as you can OC this bad boy as with a Mac Pro Tower… you can't. Oh, by the way, for those that believe that PC's are cheaper, a BOXX Tech (PC equivalent tower) would cost around $10,600. So both Apple and BOXX Tech are about the same cost when you pay retail. Plus, half the fun (as all of you know) is building it.

I also want to give credit where credit is due:

Silverstone Tek:

- TJ11 PC Tower: (one of a kind touring model sold to me by Joel - Tech & Sales support)

- SST-CFP52B (Hot-Swappable for 4 HDs)

- CP07 6GB SATA (Cable)

- ST-1500W PSU (Simply THE BEST PSU OUT THERE !!!)

- 4 x AP121 120 x 25mm (Air Channeling Fans)

- 2 x SST-SF01 - (Foam Pad for Advanced Noise Aborption)

http://www.silverstonetek.com

THANKS JOEL FOR INPUT AND EVERYTHING ELSE !!!

EVGA:

- Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A1 Motherboard

- 480 GTX Superclocked GPU

http://www.evga.com

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF THAT WORKS 24/7 FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH HELPING ME UNDERSTAND THIS MOBO !!!

Intel:

- 2 x Xeon X5650 (CPUs)

SOLD TO ME BY AN EBAYER - CYRA. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP; AND ESPECIALLY YOUR TIME !!!

Kingston:

- 2 x KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX Kingston 24GB (x 2 = 48GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM Kit (6 pcs.)

http://www.memosun.com/memail.asp (contact them directly, they'll help you personally !!!)

THANKS ANNIE AT MEMOSUN, INC. FOR THE BEST DEAL ON YOUR RAM !!! EVEN BETTER THAN NEWEGG !!!

Koolance:

- 1 x MB-EVCSR2 (EVGA Classified SR-2 Water Block)

- 2 x CPU-370 (CPU Water Blocks)

- 1 x 402x2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir for 2 PMP-400 Pumps

- 2 x PMP-400 (Laing 3.25 pumps)

- 1 x HX-CU1020V (3x120 30-FPI Radiator)

- 1 x HX-CU1320V (4x120 30-FPI Radiator)

- 12 x Quick Disconnects (QC) - Female: VL3N-F10-16S / Male: VL3N-MG (Special Note: These are the most QCs that's been installed by any PC towered system to date)

- 2 x LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant (UV Green)

- 1 x VID-NX480 (GPU Water Block)

http://koolance.com

THANKS TIM & JAMES FOR ALL YOUR INPUT AND HELP IN GETTING THE RIGHT PARTS FOR THIS SYSTEM (& EVEN SOME RETURNS) !!! OH, THANKS MARTIN (FROM MARTINSLIQUIDLAB) FOR HELPING ME OUT WITH MY BUBBLE ISSUE IN THE TUBING !!!

MountainMods.com:

- 1 x HPTX-PAN (Tray only for EVGA Classified SR-2 HTPX Motherboard)

http://www.mountainmods.com/hptx-tray-only-p-568.html

MetroRestyling.com:

- 1 x 12 x 24" Green 3d Carbon Fiber Vinyl (that was custom cut using the Hackintosh logo)

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Green-Carbon-Fiber-3D-Vinyl-p/gcf3d.htm

THANKS BRANDON FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

LG:

- 1 x WH12LS30 (12X Blu-ray SATA Writer Drive)

YOU GO NEWEGG FOR ALL YOUR GREAT LEAD LOSS DEALS !!!

Other World Computing:

- 1 x OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro_6G/

THANKS CHRIS ROBERTS FOR ALL YOUR HELP (MY RESELLER)

Hard Drives:

- 3 x WD2001FASS 2.0TB 64MB Cache Black Caviar HDs

Got them on eBay from a guy who sold them at a great price !!!

Delta:

- 8 x Delta PFC1212DE (120 x 38mm) Fans 1,500 to 5,000 RPM 253 CFM BEAST

http://myworld.ebay.com/eloot/

ALL Big-Ups go to Mark (his eBay name: eloot). Buy the BEST fans you'll ever own and get it through Eloot ON EBAY!!!

PWM Fan Controller:

- 1 x PWM Dial Fan Controller (Up to 20 PWM fans can be controlled by this controller)

THANK YOU ED SMITH FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN CUSTOM MAKING THIS UNIT FOR ME !!!

DEMCIflex:

- 3 x Custom Made Flexible Air Filters (1 x 120 x 120mm / 1 x 140 x 140mm / 1 x 153 x 153mm)

http://www.demcifilter.com/

THANK YOU VINCENT FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE - THESE AIR FILTERS ARE THE BEST THE MARKET HAS TO OFFER AND WORTH EVERY PENNY - GET THESE FILTERS GUYS !!!

I especially want to THANK the contributors (programmers) at sties called: InsanelyMac, TonyMacX86 & Kakewalk helping me get my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 install working -

SHAANKY98, KINGKONG89, GOING BALD, LNX2MAC, EMATOS, ECHREI, CUSTOMAC, CYRA, (& yes even D00D motivating me to prove him wrong that I didn't want to learn anything and overcome my issues). and anybody else that I may have forgotten. If I have, please let me know and I will put your name in here !!! :-)

I hope you guys like the HACKINBEAST and look forward to your feedback.

tj11sr2hackinbeasttower.jpg

By punknugget at 2012-02-06

By punknugget at 2012-02-07

tj11sr2hackinbeasttowerg.jpg

tj11sr2hackinbeasttoweru.jpg

tj11sr2hackinbeasttoweri.jpg

By the way, if you want to see the progress of the build from beginning to end, after you're done here you can go to this link (below):

http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=76&t=32437

Got the new scores in:

GeekBench score: 29,465

Cinebench 11.5: OpenGL 41.43 / CPU 20.20 pts

Again, I look forward to your feedback on THE HACKINBEAST and thanks for watching !!! Later... B)

• Like 2

Here's a good link to go to get some great ideas and prices to what you can afford. Good fortune in your build !!!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23119

Or you can go here to see if you want to use a different method:

http://www.kakewalk.se/computer-builds/

Now I'm not advocating weather or not to use TonyMacX86's method or Kakewalk's method of install, with that you are on your own, but what I gave you should be more than good enough info. Later... :)

• Like 1

That is simply awesome. I have been gathering a parts list for making a similar one but with more modest goals. Not going for super speed, just solid and reliable machine for video processing.

I gather you went the TonyMac install route. Did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

What about the step with selecting mobo to get the drivers operational; the SR-2 is not on the list so presume you had to install and then go with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? Any problems with the install itself?

Wow what a machine you've got there!! I have a i7-950 Hackintosh with a GTX 480, but I'm pretty much getting the same FPS in Cinebench as a did with an old GTS 450 (about 32 fps)!! :wallbash: Can you direct me to any guides or tell me what changes you made to kexts to optimize performance? Thanks!

That is simply awesome. I have been gathering a parts list for making a similar one but with more modest goals. Not going for super speed, just solid and reliable machine for video processing.

I gather you went the TonyMac install route. Did you use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

What about the step with selecting mobo to get the drivers operational; the SR-2 is not on the list so presume you had to install and then go with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? Any problems with the install itself?

Thanks for the Big-Ups on the HACKINBEAST. Honestly I thought it was going to be an easy install, but it turned out to very glitchy and since I'm not a programer it was even harder. But the great thing is I didn't give up and kept on seeking input from a LOT OF PEOPLE. Then I found Shaanky98 on TonyMacX86.com and he helped me from there. You ought to register on their site and do a member search for him and reach out to him. He and I will be posting our install process hopefully sometime this week. In the meantime contact him... Later... :)

Wow what a machine you've got there!! I have a i7-950 Hackintosh with a GTX 480, but I'm pretty much getting the same FPS in Cinebench as a did with an old GTS 450 (about 32 fps)!! :wallbash: Can you direct me to any guides or tell me what changes you made to kexts to optimize performance? Thanks!

And thank you as well for the compliments. I don't know what to say about my GTX 480 working as fast as it has. It just has. Maybe because it's the Superclocked version and it's water-cooled. Because that thing gets super HOT !!! 95C+ and with the block it's now only about 39C. Nice and cool... :) What you may want to do is do the same thing I just mentioned to manta307 and register with TonyMacX86.com and post your request for help on there as well and see what comes up.

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been registered at TonyMac for a while and built one box on Gigabyte Z68 + I7-2600K. Worked very well and now want to get more serious. Will you + Shaanky98 be posting here or at TonyMac86, or maybe a cross-link in some form. I am getting hot to trot but cannot get the key parts here in Thailand. Will have a good friend coming to visit in late March and should be able to get the Xeons + mobo and maybe memory and SDD.

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been registered at TonyMac for a while and built one box on Gigabyte Z68 + I7-2600K. Worked very well and now want to get more serious. Will you + Shaanky98 be posting here or at TonyMac86, or maybe a cross-link in some form. I am getting hot to trot but cannot get the key parts here in Thailand. Will have a good friend coming to visit in late March and should be able to get the Xeons + mobo and maybe memory and SDD.

Hey Manta,

Let me know when you get everything and I will try to help you out as best as I can. Later... PNugg... :)

• 1 month later...

I got the parts and am getting ready to rock. Have the EVGA SR-2 mobo , dual Xeons etc etc on a benchtop and will check that all is working with Win7, then get to the fun part. I will not be doing watercooling, just the official Intel "thermal solution". Then install into the LianLi PC-90 case (no windows), have to decide on black or aluminum (MacPro style). Maybe the PC-Z70 which has a bit more style; just my preference for minimalist look. Also being here in Thailand there is limited availability for cool items; as it is I got the mobo and CPUs from the USA.

So should be ready to have a Mac-attack in a few days and will be hoping for input from you on best way to tackle this beast.

I got the parts and am getting ready to rock. Have the EVGA SR-2 mobo , dual Xeons etc etc on a benchtop and will check that all is working with Win7, then get to the fun part. I will not be doing watercooling, just the official Intel "thermal solution". Then install into the LianLi PC-90 case (no windows), have to decide on black or aluminum (MacPro style). Maybe the PC-Z70 which has a bit more style; just my preference for minimalist look. Also being here in Thailand there is limited availability for cool items; as it is I got the mobo and CPUs from the USA.

So should be ready to have a Mac-attack in a few days and will be hoping for input from you on best way to tackle this beast.

How's your build coming along? I ask this because I pretty much said the same thing (thinking it was going to only take me a 5 to 6 weeks to build) and a few months later... well, life happens. I'm just glad it's mostly done. I say "mostly" because you're never really done with it. You know what's funny, I just made a comment about if I were to do it all over again what I would do and that's the exact case I would use next time.

Even if your Mac-Attac or Mak-Attak (just a title suggestion as I like the name you gave it) isn't done this month, enter it in May. I'm sure if you build it tight and clean and take great pics I'm sure you'd have a great chance at winning.

BTW, what CPUs do you have I have a pair of X5680's that I'm wanting to sell for $2,000. Retail they go for $1,400 each. I just upgraded to X5690's, as I wanted to max out this machine and I just purchase another Laing (Swiftech MCP-655-B/Koolance PMP-450) Pump and I'm going to get the new Koolance RP-452x2 Rev.2 Dual Bay and swap it out with the current one that I'm using. I'm wanting to see if I can more water to flow through the unit. Lastly, I also just picked up a EVGA GTX 580 with a EK Waterblock. I would have preferred to stick with Koolance all the way, but I like the CLEAR plexiglas look as I want the green UV fluid to show with all the UV lights I got going on in the unit...

PS - I forgot to mention that I swapped out the RAM and purchased Corsair XMS3 48GB of RAM. It's slightly better than the RAM that I currently have as it's 2000MHz instead of the 1600MHz from the Kingston HyperX RAM that I was using. You see, you're never quite finished with the unit... ever... LOL !!! :wink2:

Thx PN, I am getting there. Have it all laid out on benchtop then found that the PSU was DOA. This is now Songkran time in Thailand (much like Carnival) so cannot get replacement until next week. Using Seasonic X-Series 850W, which is Gold80 with modular cables.

I like that Mak-Attak variant a lot. Hope it is a good working box.

I have the EVGA SR-2 and the two E5645 Westmere Xeons with the "Intel Thermal Solution" HSFs mounted, with 6x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600 (will add 6 more). Nowhere near your beast but this is my starting point. Have to pass on your CPU offer but it is tempting.

This first shot will be used by a gent in Kuala Lumpur who is a professional making commercial videos and wants more power. If things work out this will give me the means to make a more beastly product, and I have your design in mind. Those green UV tubes are just too good to pass up.