How to identify what causes my OSX86 dying?

x1a0

8 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed Lion 10.7.2 on my PC and all devices are working well (I guess).

However sometimes my OSX86 dies - A grey box pops up and show some error messages in different languages - I bet you saw it before :P

It happens randomly - could up to several times in a day.

I think there might be more than one problem caused that. So my question is:

"Where can I check into it? Should I check some system logs and what should I look for specifically?"

Thanks!

Boot in verbose mode (-v), the kernel panic will be printed to your display. Check kernel.log through Console

Hi, the problem I have is not in booting process. My box can boot and run. Thanks anyway!

I think you didn't get it... If you boot in verbose mode, then the error message will printed on the display when the kernel panic happens (not only in the boot process). So boot in verbose, run osx in that mode and wait for the error message. You will get more information then.

Hi repair permissions... check if U have appleHDA and voodooHDA in the same folder...lion use the kexts in S/L/E c.frio

Thanks, I've fixed the permission. I have AppleHDA in /S/L/E but no VoodooHDA there.

Hi

ok...'couse voodoo fights with appleHDA..

do you use "no break" ?

can you try with an other video card...8400gt or GS, 9500gt ,gt220....

monitor temperature and voltages...

boot with -x to see if any .kext is the responsible..

these are the "maybe...", I have...

c.frio

I think you didn't get it... If you boot in verbose mode, then the error message will printed on the display when the kernel panic happens (not only in the boot process). So boot in verbose, run osx in that mode and wait for the error message. You will get more information then.

ah I see. Sorry I thought the verbose mode was only for booting. Will try that, thanks!

Hi

ok...'couse voodoo fights with appleHDA..

do you use "no break" ?

can you try with an other video card...8400gt or GS, 9500gt ,gt220....

monitor temperature and voltages...

boot with -x to see if any .kext is the responsible..

these are the "maybe...", I have...

c.frio

OK, I will try your suggestion. Thanks!