Kernel Panic after installing driver for Trendnet 648UBM

thephatp

2 posts in this topic

I read on this page (http://wiki.osx86pro...10.7.2#Wireless) that the Trendnet 648UBM wireless usb adapter should work for Lion 10.7.2. So, I decided to try it for 10.7.3. I downloaded from the Realtek site using the RTL8188SU chipset driver.

I then got a kernel panic. I'm no expert at reading kernel panics, but it looked like a problem with ACPI, so I installed the AppleACPIPlatform.kext. That got me past the panic!

So I thought all was well...final step, set up wifi. Unfortunately, that's were I'm stuck. I got to the Preferences > Networking, and the usb wifi adapter does not show up. :(

What do I need to do to get the usb adapter to now show up in the networking section?

I read on this page (http://wiki.osx86pro...10.7.2#Wireless) that the Trendnet 648UBM wireless usb adapter should work for Lion 10.7.2. So, I decided to try it for 10.7.3. I downloaded from the Realtek site using the RTL8188SU chipset driver.

I then got a kernel panic. I'm no expert at reading kernel panics, but it looked like a problem with ACPI, so I installed the AppleACPIPlatform.kext. That got me past the panic!

So I thought all was well...final step, set up wifi. Unfortunately, that's were I'm stuck. I got to the Preferences > Networking, and the usb wifi adapter does not show up. :(

What do I need to do to get the usb adapter to now show up in the networking section?

Normally you would have a "Wireless Utility" now in the Applications folder (at the bottom). Click on that to open the utility. Open the Network Preferences and click on the "+" sign (found in the lower left of the preference window) and at the top center in the Location pull down you should find and select an "802.11,,,adapter...".

That action should let the Wireless Utility come alive and see your USB Wifi adapter. You then go through the tabs and configure your WiFi setup in the Wireless Utility.

neil