Has anyone been able to install SL on a HP XW8400

Sergio Razo

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I been reading but is not clearly if the MAC OS X snow leopard can be installed on a HP XW8400 work station, the specs are:

HP xw8400 Workstation

Dual Xeon Dual-Core 5150 2.66GHz

8GB

2x500GB

DVD±RW DL

XP Professional

w/RAID

Has some one do so? What are the steps?

I have manage to install OS X on VIRTUAL BOX and run the installer on a i3 laptop using the following tools:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

VIRTUALBOX

I just need to know if the "2 Cores needed" has a walkaround or fix or do I have to move on to another system specs.

Thanks a lot for the future replays and It is my first time working with the MAC OS X.

I just need to install it to train on the OS and FINAL CUT and then I would buy a Original MAC PRO system.

Cheers.

No luck with the link. :(

Any more ideas??

I think the problem here is the processors. I have two xeon dual 5150 2.66 proccessors.

I do not know why is giving problems when running the installation proccess.

I just want to know if there is a way to install SL in the xw8400 machine.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've installed Lion in an identical Xw8400, & tested mountain lion no problem, needs practically nothing, only a network card kext which is on kexts.com, works like a charm, beautiful, really nice and stable

set sata as separate channels in Bios

• 5 weeks later...

fpdesigner, I have been running SL and Lion for about 6 months on my XW8400. Used retail method. Had many (in the 100's) failed attempts until I installed a MATCHED pair of 5160's, kept getting "expected 2 cores but found only 1 " error on mismatched spec 5160's. Only issues are no wake from sleep even after trying compiled DSDT under SL and Lion, no sound under Lion but great under SL with VooDoo kext's (not sure which ver. at the moment), but I'm not too keen on playing with DSDT's yet. I am sure a knowledgeable person could get sleep working. Also the Quadro 3500 was being a PITA so I swapped it out for a 9600 GT OC 512. Also running an SIL3112 for SATA DVD as the onboard SATA under OSX did not show up and I have 2 IDE drives hooked to the onboard IDE.

Let me know what I can help with and I'll do my best.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx i want a new hackintosh

Now i have a very old HPDC7600 with 10.6.8 all work , no sleep

I'm think about on of this machine

HP DC7800

HP XW4600

HP XW 6600

i don' t know dst , or other procedure BUT after 5 year od ideneb ipc jas iatkos i have found Nawcom

I want to know if you can update SL to 10.6.8, what kernel you have, if you have solved sata problem...

Many thanx

You say me that hp xw8400 it's the more easy OSX Hp workstation ?

Because i 'm searching something that is more recent.

With SIL3112 you see HD and DVD .

Have you other problem?

Can you make a geekbench with your configuration

Thanxs

fpdesigner, I have been running SL and Lion for about 6 months on my XW8400. Used retail method. Had many (in the 100's) failed attempts until I installed a MATCHED pair of 5160's, kept getting "expected 2 cores but found only 1 " error on mismatched spec 5160's. Only issues are no wake from sleep even after trying compiled DSDT under SL and Lion, no sound under Lion but great under SL with VooDoo kext's (not sure which ver. at the moment), but I'm not too keen on playing with DSDT's yet. I am sure a knowledgeable person could get sleep working. Also the Quadro 3500 was being a PITA so I swapped it out for a 9600 GT OC 512. Also running an SIL3112 for SATA DVD as the onboard SATA under OSX did not show up and I have 2 IDE drives hooked to the onboard IDE.

Let me know what I can help with and I'll do my best.

• 3 months later...

Also just got 3x of these running good.

My method was iakois l2.

Separate IDE channels in BIOS.

Boot off of CDR.

Format drive GUID.

Install OSX.

If you have a quatro card you need to boot with

arch=i386

Otherwise, first boot I usually

-v -x pmVersion=0

Then install via Champlist most recent version of Chameleon and set boot partition (non-efi for me).

All in all, pretty good system. Think I'll have to regress to Snow Leopard though. Boss is stuck in the past...