Mac shows wrong RAM speed in System Profiler

MacFaulty

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So, I've set up Mac and video, sound, ethernet. Everything is running fine, even my USB3 ports :D

Then I look in system profiler and what do I see? My 1333Mhz RAM runs at 800Mhz?

I can't find any DSDT ready-to-use fixes and because I don't know DSDT (but am learning while coding) I don't know what to do :(

Do I have to fix this in my DSDT or somewhere else?

I really want to run my RAM at 1333Mhz.

Could it be that system profiler gets it wrong? If this might be the prob, does anybody know where else I can check my RAM speeds? In Windows it gives the normal rate (1333Mhz).

Mac does give the right amount of RAM though, just not the speed :S

Hope somebody is able to help me with this (minor) issue :)

Kind Regards,

Wcool ;)

The RAM speed is purely cosmetic. Even if it says 800 MHz it will run at 1333 MHz; OS X just doesn't detect it correctly. :)

The way to fix this is what nyolc8 suggested: you must change your smbios.plist.

HI there,

I've done the instructions and I even used Lizard (smbios.plist editor is one of it's functions) to edit the file, but then I rebooted my machine and nothing happened, it still says 800Mhz in System profiler, it shows the correct value in About my mac. :confused:

I also included the SMBIOS key with correct string in chameleon boot plist, but doesn't work, the bootloader can find the file though.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the programs and tips, but still, there is 800Mhz!

I also get an error message if I want to have a look at my memory section in system profiler (something with error retrieving information).

Any ideas?

That's odd...

This is cosmetic, remember, so this isn't as important; your RAM is still operating at 1333 MHz. keep trying; one day it will work. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, it would be nice if he recognized it correctly though.

Anyway, if it's only a cosmetic kinda error I'll be able to live with it. I don't check my PC everyday with system profiler ;)

Greets to all!!

Wcool

Definitely it's cosmetic...wondering if it's kind of the "default" speed, as mine also shows up as 800 MHz when it's only 533 MHz... :P