HWSensors

FakeSMC Plugins Hardware Monitoring Sensors SuperIO Temperature Voltage Tachometer Frequency

• Please log in to reply
1036 replies to this topic

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,478 posts

i think its better to do this here.
https://github.com/k...WSensors/issues

?? Lol ...see my post in github

oswaldini

oswaldini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Hi Kozlek,

Please add new PL Localizable.strings to HWMonitor.

I'm sorry, bad translation. New one in attachment.

Attached File  Localizable.strings.zip   3.74KB   5 downloads

oswaldini

oswaldini

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

New PL translation for v1039.

Attached File  PL_v1039_Localizable.strings.zip   3.8KB   6 downloads

Romano2K

Romano2K

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hello!

Today I both installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext, for the USB 3.0 card I just bought, and HWSensors 6.0.1042.pkg, hoping it would enable control of my case fan.

I couldn't find how to control my case fan so I'd like to uninstall HWSensors, but I'm not sure how to do it. Before rebooting I had renamed /Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext to FakeSMC.kext.orig. Where is the FakeSMC.kext installed by the package? Is there a backup of the original FakeSMC.kext?

Thank you! :-)

Pcsx2006

Pcsx2006

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Surfing web, Tech Gadgets

Hey guys ! can anybody make a config file for Dell Inspiron 5520 specs are in my sig 

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Hello!

Today I both installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext, for the USB 3.0 card I just bought, and HWSensors 6.0.1042.pkg, hoping it would enable control of my case fan.

I couldn't find how to control my case fan so I'd like to uninstall HWSensors, but I'm not sure how to do it. Before rebooting I had renamed /Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext to FakeSMC.kext.orig. Where is the FakeSMC.kext installed by the package? Is there a backup of the original FakeSMC.kext?

Thank you! :-)

Everything is installed into the /System/Library/Extensions directory. The /Extra/Extensions directory has been rendered obsolete and its use is ill advised.

Romano2K

Romano2K

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Everything is installed into the /System/Library/Extensions directory. The /Extra/Extensions directory has been rendered obsolete and its use is ill advised.

Ok I learn this. But then how do I restore the original FakeSMC.kext in this particular case?

nyolc8

nyolc8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Ok I learn this. But then how do I restore the original FakeSMC.kext in this particular case?

There is no original fakesmc. OSX doesn't contains fakesmc.kext. You added that into it after OSX installation. If you didn't make any backups before you installed hwsensors, then you need to remember what fakesmc.kext did you installed after OSX installation.

JorgeMax

JorgeMax

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Personnel. What is this PCH DIE? He always stays at this temperature:Attached File  Captura de Tela 2014-01-12 s 08.59.48.png   46.52KB   10 downloads

Is this a problem? I'm using HWMonitor version 6.0.1067, plus the latest version of Fakesmc.kext.

silverfir

silverfir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Is there a Manual Type page or discussion that explains where HWMonitor/HWSensors places these files into /System/Library/Extensions... More to the point 'what' files folders 'edits' the program carries out when installed?

I'm presuming that nobody is now bothered about running a 'vanilla' hack anymore if /System/Library/Extensions... is touched by HWMonitor.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using the App for months and it is perfect, basically! And the updates keep making it better for my OS X 10.9 which updates with no issues at all, 10.9.1 now. But I think there is a deal of confusion amongst less tech savvy users as to how this all works.

I did mount my EFI partition and with hidden files showing thinking it would be there but now I see I was mistaken.

Any clarification of this would be gratefully received, and sorry if this is a dumb question  :blush:

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,120 posts

Installing kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions is vanilla. It's no different from installing third-party drivers on a real Mac.

The whole "vanilla" terminology is a leftover from the old days, vanilla kernel vs. patched kernel, vanilla vs distro etc etc. Don't get hung up on terms :P  just do what works best for you and your hardware.

Using the EFI partition for Chameleon and /Extra is annoying and has no advantages at all. It used to be cool but other than that it never meant anything.

It's much easier to leave the EFI partition alone and use /Extra at the root of your system partition instead.

As for the other thing..

Nowadays, /Extra/Extensions is used primarily when booting an installer partition with UseKernelCache=n.

Post install, once you have added fakesmc and whatever else you need to /System/Library/Extensions and enabled the kernel cache, your kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions will no longer load - OS X does not know anything about any /Extra folder, and so whatever you keep in there doesn't get included when OS X builds the caches.

The sensor plugins for fakesmc are installed inside the plugins folder of fakesmc.kext. I never use the HWSensor installer myself, but as far as I know that's all the installer does, there are no other files added to your system, except for the HWSensors application of course. I guess HWSensors might drop a prefs file somewhere but that's insignificant.

rlf

rlf

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

HWSensors.6.0.1077.pkg is a standard Apple installer package.  These can be examined using the app Pacifist from Charlessoft.  Open the pkg using Pacifist, click on an item of interest like HWMonitor.app and then click on the "Show Info" button.  The pane that opens will tell you that HWMonitor.app gets installed in /Applications.

Likewise, FakeSMC.kext gets installed in /System/Library/Extensions.  And the various sensors kexts get installed inside a Plugins folder hidden inside the FakeSMC.kext (Ie. FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins) 

silverfir

silverfir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Thanks 'Gringo'  explaining about 'vanilla' and where it derived from, and that it's deprecated as also it seems is /Extra/Extensions folder (that I just deleted with no ill effect) very interesting. Thanks 'rfl' for recommending Pacifist, it did show where HWMonitor is placed and looks like a fun app to use. 

I now know why my system still works 'myhack.kext' yep sorry I installed 10.9 using that particular installer, inside its contents included FakeSMC and sensor plugins that the installer merged from my /Extra/Extensions folder prior. I was searching madly in /System/Library/Extensions for fakesmc.kext but found nothing. 'kextstat' showed [org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC] had loaded, obviously as my system had booted.

I just forgot I had added fakesmc.kext + sensor plugins for HWMonitor to well.... monitor ages ago, and myhack held fakesmc.kext. I tested by removing it from myhack.kext an 'no boot' replaced and booted fine, removed the sensor plugins from fakesmc.kext and HWMonitor showed minimal HDD data only, replaced them and all back to normal.

​Sorry to take up space in this developer thread but I have learned some things and refreshed my ageing memory somewhat, thanks for the fast informative replies.  :) 

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.

@kozlek:

The GPU sensor does not detect my AMD HD5450 core and mem speeds. It only shows the temp!!

Is that normal?

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Yep, it's the only sensor detected on AMD graphics. For now…

alexanderq

alexanderq

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Latest version of  Fakesmc gives me error (waiting for root device) on laptot only and in other pc boots OK.

RobertX

RobertX

InSanelyMac Maverick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

gpu sensor is only reading lowest speed for gpu memory(162Mhz) and gpu ROPs(27Mhz)...gpu core shows correctly ramping up and down...also correctly reads voltage changes....but not gpu fan...Asus GT430

...I suppose it's impossible to get temps from a Pentium D? :smoke:..the app does pick up the freq.

Bit Shoveler

Bit Shoveler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Coders
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Hackable Macs

Latest version (6.0.1123, downloaded automatically by HWMonitor app) asks for password to decode. I canceled out of password dialog and tried to install anyway. Much trouble ensued. Finally was able to reinstall 6.0.1115.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

I want to start out by saying how much I like this app and how well it has progressed in the last year.  One thing that appeals to me, however, is colorful menubar items.  Therefore, I miss the red temperature icon.  The current icons are also a bit oversized and bulky.  Might it be possible to modify the app to allow different choices for the menubar icons?  Currently, I keep the temperature and the frequency in my menubar and, after every update, I change the temperature and frequency icons to the old icons that are smaller and more colorful.  It's not hard to do but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like more icon options.  Anyhow, whether this is something you would want to do or not, I will continue to use this app and appreciate the efforts you have put into it.  Thanks.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Thanks for the red thermometer.  There's a typo in the menu.  It says "thermotmeter".  I hope you will continue to explore the possibility of having an option for different menu icon sets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FakeSMC, Plugins, Hardware Monitoring, Sensors, SuperIO, Temperature, Voltage, Tachometer, Frequency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy