Suddenly Started Getting "boot0: done" Hang

Deztrucktor

5 posts in this topic

My hackintosh dual-boot system has been running smoothly now for about a year. However, yesterday when I booted up Windows 7, Chkdsk started running checking all my disks for errors. I got a message telling me that it had

found some errors and fixed them

. Windows continued to boot without problems afterwards.

Today when I turned on my hackintosh, it froze after the following message:

Verifying DMI Pool Data .............

boot0: test

boot0: done

Then nothing happens.

So my best guess is that Chkdsk somehow messed up my Chameleon bootloader.

I then tried booting from a USB-drive with Kakewalk installed (Lion), but then it just hangs at a black screen with a blinking marker. I tried the same USB-drive with my hackintoshed Acer 5920G laptop, and it booted without problems.

However, if I use the Windows 7 installation disk, I'm able to boot into the installation without any problems, which leads me to think that it's probably not hardware related.

Lion and Win7 is installed on the same GUID-partitioned 128GB SSD.

How can I make my hackintosh boot again?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Update: I was able to reinstall Windows 7 and boot, but no luck getting Chameleon working again.

It happened to me dude. I don't know but I guess efi partition messed up (the one that has 200 mb space). Every chameleon I've tried hanged. So I put Gparted Live cd to pc and format disc. Then chameleon boot without hang.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Gparted Live CD and burned it to a disk. I was able to boot into Gparted, where I likely will be able to reformat the disk. However, I have a few files on my mac system drive that I really need (and I have no backup, ouch!). Any tip on how to backup those files?

Update: I was able to recover most of the files using R-Studio and PhotoRec. R-Studio recovered the files with files names and the name of the folder they were contained in. Photorec was able to recover more files, but all the files have random names.

I really don't understand how this partition could be so messed up. Neither of the solutions I mentioned are ideal. Anyone got a better solution?

Plug in any live linux dvd and recover your files. Most of the linux distros are ablo to mount hfs+ disks.

I created an Ubuntu Live USB which I booted into. I could see my HDD in devices, but not my Windows partition and Mac Partition from my SSD.

Do you access your mac drive via windows? Maybe that is the couse.

From windows, my mac partition appears unformatted. I tried HFS Explorer as well, but I just got a message about no HFS+ partitions detected.