If I want to update my hardware, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Blah101

Blah101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I was considering the option of upgrading my motherboard and cpu to a new socket (I have a LGA 775 currently). Would to do a fresh install of Lion? Or would there be a way to keep my current install while just editing a few things?

Moto7451

Moto7451

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I copied my 10.6 install from my Core 2 Duo to my Core i7 Laptop I just removed cloned the drive and removed the unnecessary (for the i7 machine) kexts and added the appropriate ones for it. OS X is very good about being flexible with the installed hardware.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,034 posts
Yep, OS X doesn't "lock" itself to the hardware it's installed on but before attempting to boot your installation on your new hardware I guess it could be a good idea to flush the system caches. On Lion, you can do this by deleting the contents of /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.

Note that if you have any software installed that uses your Hardware UUID (see System Profiler, Hardware) for registration purposes, serial number generation etc, it will no longer work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy