Can I install Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail on a USB Flash Drive ?

ballerh

2 posts in this topic

I want to install Snow leopard Retail onto a usb flash drive (16gb) but this blog on tonymacx86 says that you have to remove any other hard drive other than the one im installing snow leopard on (WHICH WOULD BE THE USB FLASH DRIVE) so i wanna know if thats true ?

- and if my graphics isnt compatible with mac , I know i can still install it but in a while without graphics would the mac stop working ? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

No, you don't have to remove any drives if you pay attention to what you're doing. That of course includes actually reading the guide you're referring to from beginning to end to check if there's a reason why they tell you to unplug all other drives.

Just throwing this out there - whatever you decide to do, for the future, if you have any questions about something that's located on another site, please include a link to it when asking about it. Or ask on that site instead of asking here. Who knows, the very person who wrote it might even be there to help you?

Yes, you can run OS X on hardware with no video drivers but it'll suck, OS X depends heavily on hardware accelerated OpenGL. Some apps will refuse to work at all, others will show a blank space where they would normally draw something using hardware accelerated OpenGL.

And, not unlike the Aero stuff in Windows 7, the Finder itself uses GPU hardware acceleration all the time to draw and mix everything you see on the screen.