Installing Windows 7 with USB

zoom

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to copy my windows 7 ISO file to a USB stick to be able to boot the system with it.

However, don't know why, disk utility comes up with an error message and doesn't allow me to restore the ISO into the USB disk ( I did the same operation for Lion ISO and it was completed without any problem).

Searched on the web a little and found out that Bootcamp does this as well. However my old 17" Core2Duo Imac is not supported by that bootcamp version to do that. So, I found another way to make it support my imac by changing some .plist files. This time that option for creating a bootable disk is appeared however in the middle of the operation it showed an error message and refused to create it.

Then I formatted the disk as HFS journaled and copied everything in the Windows ISO file into the usb disk manually. But this time bootcamp expect me to insert a DVD.

So, now is there a way to get it working ?

• 3 weeks later...

mac os is unix based and windows has its own platform and for windows to work it needs ntfs format it will not boot/run from hfs+ format.so restoring from mac to usb will not work as far as i know :)if u have a friend who has windows or if u have access to windows 7/vista u can try this method

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/661d46c3-f6b9-41a4-a696-9d8c225208b6

see the answer part of it :) do the procedure and extract the windows 7 iso using winrar or poweriso to the hard disk and then copy it to pendrive or u can directly extract it to the pendrive.this is the only working method i know the tool from microsoft is dumb LOL it doesn t work i have tried it

the tool from microsoft is dumb LOL it doesn t work i have tried it

No, it works great. I have a bootable flash drive here with Windows 7 SP1 on it that I created using the tool.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Using diskpart and copying files will work as well.

Either way you still need access to a Windows PC.

• 1 month later...

No, it works great. I have a bootable flash drive here with Windows 7 SP1 on it that I created using the tool.

http://www.microsoft..._usbdvd_dwnTool

Using diskpart and copying files will work as well.

Either way you still need access to a Windows PC.

hmmm i guess microsoft might have fixed the bugs i was able to make a bootable pen drive but was unable to boot from it. using diskpart its doesn t take even take 15 mins to make one and its works all the time :).http://bitsquad.co.in/2011/05/windows-7-bootable-usb/ here is an easy guide with pictures if at all win usb tool fails

and instead of - format fs=fat32 u can use format fs=ntfs quick for faster formatting and faster copying of files.to pen drive hope this helps

I have just finished doing a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 using an 8GB flash drive and the tool from Microsoft. I'm posting from it now.

I don't know what you guys are doing but it works perfectly here and installs quite fast compared to using the DVD. 5 stars.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
You can install the window directly on your hard drive using the cmd command prompt
You need to go to Restart on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 then press Shift and click on Restart
>>The computer will go to the screen as below, where you select Troubleshoot

>> Choose Advabced options

>> Select Command Prompt

>> Now the computer will restart and the Command Prompt screen
>> At the Command Prompt, you will see the account (or list of accounts) available on your computer, click on the account you are using.
>> If the account you choose has a password then you fill in, if not, then leave the password blank, then select Continue
>>Now the cmd window will show up
>> Type CMD command to run Windows installation file
In the cmd window, type wmic logicaldisk get size, caption, and press ENTER to display the list of drives and their size.

As shown above, the Caption column is the drive letter and the Size column is the size of the corresponding drive. You only care about drives with Size, in this case we have the drives: C, D, E, X.

Now, type the following command in the drive letter list: \ BTH \ setup and press Enter and continue until after pressing Enter you will not see the line The system can not find the specified path. Here I will type the following commands:

C: \ BTH \ setup

D: \ BTH \ setup

E: \ BTH \ setup

To the third command E: \ BTH \ setup I do not see the line The system can not find the specified path. So I stopped, waiting for a while until the windows setup window appeared

Edited by trongmxh