Highpoint RocketRAID 2710 not recognized in OS X [SOLVED]

Mammoth

4 posts in this topic

If you are trying to install a RocketRAID 2710 in a Mac (or Hac), it will probably never be seen.

Anyone trying to install a RocketRAID 2710 in a Mac will be unsuccessful.

Of course, if they correct this issue, then it may work in later versions of the driver. The most current driver at the time I was having this issue is / was:

RR272x_1x-Mac-v140_111018

(I have already reported this issue and my findings to Highpoint.)

The reason is the PNPID is missing from the OS X .PKG files.

This is a flaw in the OS X drivers / package that needs to be corrected. The missing PNPID / IOPCIPrimaryMatch String needed to be added to the info.plist to correct this issue is as follows:

0x27101103

I was able to get my card finally recognized and working in my Hac by making this correction. I have attached my corrected file here, and it was installed on my x64 Lion 10.7.2 Hac and now works perfectly. So I don't know if my attached file will work on your system if you are running 32-bit or Snow Leopard (or earlier).

What I did was install the RR272x_1x-Mac-v140_111018 version of the driver. Then when the install finished, at the "Restart" window, I went into /System/Library/Extensions and copied the rr2722.kext to my Desktop, edited the info.plist in the rr2722.kext to add the above ID, Trashed the rr2722.kext in /S/L/E/, copied the now edited rr2722.kext to /S/L/E/, then I used MyFix 1.3 to deal with caches, ran Repair Permissions, THEN I clicked the Restart button and on reboot, worked perfectly.

Post here if this worked for you so others will know.

rr2722.kext.zip

• Like 1

Dear Mammoth,

thank you for sharing your solution with us.

I'm planning to build a server OSX Lion based with 8 HD in raid 5 (or 6) for media and one or two HD for the OS (Lion + Linux).

Do you think your solution is valid for the Rocketraid 2720 also or I have to modify the info.plist in the driver as you describe above.

If this is my case, where I can find the documentation to discovery the right PNPID for my card.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sergio

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mammoth,

thank you for sharing your solution with us.

I'm planning to build a server OSX Lion based with 8 HD in raid 5 (or 6) for media and one or two HD for the OS (Lion + Linux).

Do you think your solution is valid for the Rocketraid 2720 also or I have to modify the info.plist in the driver as you describe above.

If this is my case, where I can find the documentation to discovery the right PNPID for my card.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sergio

Hello Sergio,

You are correct, I was not aware of your post until I got your PM.

I returned my 2710 and got a 2720 myself and am using it right now. So yes, the same fix works, you just have to add the correct PNPID which is 0x27201103

Don't forget to also purchase the awesome Highpoint "fan-out" SAS cables. You will need two of them: Int-MS-1M4S Internal Mini-SAS TO 4 SATA (1 meter) UPC: 6 43653 14420 4

I found this awesome place to order from, they had the best price of anyone I could find and super fast shipping:

http://AMURAS.COM

Make sure to upgrade the firmware RIGHT AWAY before you get started. Also know that in order to change it from being bootable or non-bootable, you have to do this by flashing the firmware like this:

load /c rr2720.v12

(or more current BIOS file)

BE AWARE: This requires an old school floppy drive! I have a USB floppy drive (and diskettes), so it wasn't a big deal for me. You could create a USB flash drive for this purpose that should work, but I never needed to try this.

That is the only time you will be presented with options to make INT13 boot or not, and NOT in the BIOS screen. Also, make sure you use the RAID version of the BIOS and drivers or you will have big problems. The RAID versions are those they list as "LS" (which means they work with Legacy (SATA) Single hard drives. These cards also work beautifully with SSD drives, I have (2) 120GB SSD drives in a RAID 0, so I have a 240 GB SSD drive for my OS (actually I have 4 SSD drives in 2 OS RAID 0 configs, 1 for Windows 7 and the other for OS X).

Be aware thogh everyone.... if you have Marvell 88SE9128 SATA controllers on your motherboard (Gigabyte uses these) you most likely will NOT be able to use them with these RocketRAID controlers installed (because the RocketRAID uses these same controllers and they conflict with each other), your machine will hang on boot. : | If you will NOT be using the RocketRAID for booting and flash the firmware to disable booting (disable INT13), then you CAN use the on board controllers.

I have attached my modified rr2722.kext that should work for both the 2710 and 2720 based on the v1.40_111018 Highpoint Mac driver.

rr2722.kext.rar

• Like 1