Manual post-installation steps, no Multibeast

EddyMac

44 posts in this topic

That's great, it means that Chameleon was installed correctly. That was easy right?

So far you have only installed the boot loader itself, now you can configure it so that it works the way you want it to.

The extra folder and its contents are decided and is placed there by you. You're the boss now.

It stops at the Apple logo because you're missing some kernel extensions and configuration settings.

Type -v at the boot prompt to see where you are getting stuck.

Take a photo while you're at it and attach it here so I can see what's happening.

Download the default Chameleon theme from my guide - unzip it and place the "default" folder in /Extra/Themes - if you don't like it you can replace it later, but let's go with the default theme for now.

Place the attached org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extra - you can edit the Graphics Mode string (I set 1024x768) first, so that it matches your display's native resolution. org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip.

In the theme folder, find theme.plist, open it and set the theme resolution there to your display's native res as well. Note, it's in two places, there's one towards the end as well.

Find and download the latest fakesmc.kext from the following link. This kernel extension is required in order for OS X to work on a PC. http://www.projectos...p?showforum=165 - find the main driver topic and download fakesmc 3.1.0 from the link in post #5.

Also grab this kext for your ethernet: http://lnx2mac.blogs...osx-driver.html

You'll need to fix permissions and ownership on these two via Terminal after dropping them in /System/Library/Extensions, otherwise OS X will reject them. Drag them to System/Library/Extensions, click away any error dialogs that appear, and run Terminal.app.

Now enter (exactly as written, mind the capital R)

sudo -s (enter your password, don't worry it's supposed to be invisible)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

exit

And reboot. Let's see how far you get.

Once you're at the Chameleon GUI and your system drive is highlighted, start typing and the boot prompt will appear at the bottom of the screen. Boot with the -v flag (for verbose mode), take and attach a photo if it gets stuck.

If it somehow manages to magically boot all the way to the desktop, run terminal.app and enter

bdmesg > ~/desktop/bdmesg.txt (this pipes the bdmesg output to a text file)

sudo dmesg > ~/desktop.dmesg.txt (and your password)

I need to see these in order to determine what to do next.

Go to your desktop, select both .txt files, right click, click compress and attach the zip to your next post.

If you didn't get to the desktop (it is unlikely) just attach a photo like I asked.

Sorry, didn't realize there was a reply here. Email notifications must not be working. I'm at the end of my lunch break so will have to try the GraphicsEnabler thing later. For now though, attached is a ZIP of the boot.plist and the DSDT you asked for.

The DSDT.aml file inside the "DSDT-BOOT.zip" file is what I had on my desktop when I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the previous install. The one in the "DSDT.aml.zip" file is from the /Extras folder on that same install. I don't know whether they are different or not but am attaching both just in case.

DSDT-BOOT.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

Where is the DSDT from originally, did you download it from somewhere (that's a big no no) or did you dump it yourself? Just so I don't waste my time with it.

In the meantime try James' suggestion, set 3000 instead of 2000.

....is from the /Extras folder

Extra, not Extras. If the folder is named Extras, Chameleon will not see any of the files in it.

I just did what I was told, just like I am with you. I wanted to build a Hackintosh and Tony's site told me how: make a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB stick, alter a few Bios settings, install Lion, download a DSDT for my motherboard and download and run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. It was the only place on the internet that gave me very clear, step-by-step instructions. I followed the guide and it worked wonderfully until I got a EVGA GeForce GTS 450 graphics card that caused random system freezes.

I'm not sure what you mean about the DSDT being for an entirely different motherboard. The DSDT is for a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, which is what I have. What exactly are the shortcomings of downloading a patched DSDT if it's for the same motherboard?

I'm ready to try npci=0x3000 now. I'll let you know in a few minutes what happens. Thanks for all the great help.

Update:

OK just ran it with 0x3000 and it hangs at PCI configuration begin.

And yes, the folder is called "Extra" not "Extras" -- slip of the finger.

There will be some differences in the DSDT if the motherboard it's dumped from isn't the same revision, isn't using the same BIOS version and doesn't have the same amount of memory installed as yours.

I'll take a look at the DSDT and see what they did to it, in the meantime try dropping it (the one that was in your the /Extra folder on your old installation) in /Extra.

I editied your DSDT, It's only a half-arsed edit to the PCI0 device that works for some people when they can't get past the pci configuration begin message.

If it doesn't make any difference, just delete it and put the other DSDT back again - then you'll have to examine the configuration of the flash drive you are using to boot, there is a kext, configuration setting or some TonyMacx86 magic on there that makes it work, that you must copy to the Chameleon installation on the hard drive.

I am experiencing the bug in 10.7.2 that S/L/E Extensions are flashing accross the screen in verbose mode -v. I've read the solution for that somewhere before but cannot find that posting .. -f or -x should induce ignoring the boot cache, NOT -v. Already rebuilt perms & cache w. kext wizard, no change ..

anything to do w. the plist?

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -force64</string>

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Blackosx_Button</string>

I already tried

<string>-v arch=X86_64</string>

Core 2 Quad

Does s.b. smart remember :) ?

I think -force64 is for non-vanilla kernels only. It's used most commonly on AMD systems.

SystemType=1 is the Chameleon default, and it's for a desktop system. Are you on a laptop?

The rest looks fine.

Chameleon 2.1 causes the kernel/kext cache to be ignored by default when it detects 10.7.x.

I believe you must set UseKernelCache=y in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, but the downside to this is that you must then place all your kernel extensions in /System/Library/Extensions...and don't forget to rebuild the caches after doing that. Extensions in /Extra/Extensions will no longer load.

Please doublecheck this information elsewhere because I'm not sure if what I'm saying is entirely accurate.

(who's s.b. smart?)

Well, I went ahead and reformatted the drive and started over. I installed Lion using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], then ran [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and was up and running in no time. This fixed all my nVidia driver problems and may have even fixed my fermi freezes, though it may be too early to claim victory on that. Anyway, thanks for trying to help me do the install using the non-point-and-click method. My end goal is to have a machine that works without constant tinkering, and hopefully now I have it....at least until the next upgrade. :-)