Lion on SSD, User Folder on HDD -> User Folder not found?

Valmar

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro and I am using 10.7.2. I also have a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD for my system and 1 TB HDD for my User Folder (redirected the folder link in User Account controls -> http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/14/tuaw-tip-moving-your-home-folder-to-another-disk-or-moving-it/). This setup was working pretty flawless. But lately I have to reboot the system to get it working. The problem is that OSX does not mount my HDD correctly. This results in a Folder called "Home" which should be my HDD. And my HDD with my user account on it will be renamed to "Home 1". When this happens then OSX tells me that it was unable to find my user folder. I am wondering why this is happening now. If I remember correctly this was not the case before 10.7. Any ideas?

I am using a retail installation with Andys Boot CD and the latest Chameleon with Chameleon Wizard since Chimera never seem to work for my system.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Valmar

this is probably a permissions issue.

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions, so you'll need to fill in the blanks a bit. I'm going to pretend your 1TB is called '1TB' and that you have a folder called 'Users' on that disk, and that you moved your home directory for user named 'valmar' to the 'Users' folder on '1TB'.

Login, get a shell using your Terminal or other Terminal.

Run: 'sudo chown -R valmar /Volumes/1TB/Users/valmar'

This will elevate your privs to root, then ensure that the /Volumes/1TB/Users/valmar directory is owned by the user named 'valmar'. The -R is for recursion, so everything in that folder will also be switched over.

Run: 'sudo chmod 755 /Volumes/1TB/Users/valmar'

This will ensure that the owner (valmar) can see the directory, read it, and write to it. It also lets other users on your system stat the directory (see what it contains) but not change anything. You can optionally use '700' if you want to make it so nobody else that uses your computer can.

Ensure that your home directory in System Preferences is set to /Volumes/1TB/Users/valmar and you should be g2g. No need to reboot, logout and login will be sufficient.

One thing you may want to consider in an environment like this (two disks/SSD+HDD) is to have a separate account with admin access that lives on the SSD so you can move your user account stuff around with impunity. When I get a new Hac or Mac the first thing I do is install the OS and then create a role account for doing admin functions, sure comes in handy when something stupid happens and my user account is being flakey or otherwise in trouble.

Another thing: I would also look at the system.log in Console.app to see what error messages are being generated when you're logged in with a directory/disk mounting issue. I'm sure it's got several. After you think you have things settled down, 'sudo diskutil repairpermissions /' will ensure the OS stuff is squared away. repairpermissions will not fix user permissions, just the OS/system level stuff.

I generally advise leave /Users on the SSD and creating symlinks for /Volumes/1TB/Users/$username in /Users with the exception of the admin account I create.

Have you googled for issues with your SSD? Some SSD drives still suffers from bad soft- and/or hardware. I have had some bad experiences from Corsair Force 3 (starting serial 1142...) which I connected to my ordinary MacMini and... I had to restart the mini almost every time I turned the system on with the SSD connected since it didnt start up. Then it just died on me.