Skype dropping packets...fixed with new NIC

rcork

1 post in this topic

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone else out there.

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V (not Pro). It has an Intel 82579 onboard NIC. I was using the IntelE1000E.kext that had been ported from linux for OSX. I never noticed any issues with the network so always assumed everything was working correctly. However, when doing video chats via Skype or iChat, the person on the other end of the call would always complain that the picture was very jerky, would often freeze or sometimes drop out all together.

I tried lots of things to solve the issue (not going to go through all of them here) but eventually tracked it to UDP packets being dropped. Using the Technical Call window in Skype, i could see that i was getting packet loss on the outbound connection. I eliminated the possibility of network issues and eventually figured out that the network card and/or driver was the culprit.

Long story short, i bought a Rosewill RC-401-EX PCI-Express card for $20, which has a Marvel 8053 chip and is supported natively by Apple's Yukon2 drivers in Lion. Ever since installing the card my network has been rock solid and all packet loss has disappeared.