[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

Thats for w510 with usb3.0 for another forum member

Thanks for the info on the firewire. Good to see it works.

What is the PXHCD.kext attachment for? Is that related to firewire? Google suggests it is to do with USB 3.0.

Joshhh I had to install the Cloverefi 750 bootloader to get the machine to boot from the MBR partitioned drive. The machine has Windows 7 on one partition and OSX on the other. They both now boot up okay (with no USB attached) - but I have noticed the hibernate feature in Windows does not recover from Hibernate when I attempt to boot using the Clover EFI loader. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Do I need to specify the DSDT.aml generated from Windows in the boot options and switch off all other options/fixes? What is the trick here? Why would the bootloader be impacting the recover from hibernate windows 7 function?

P

Thats for w510 with usb3.0 for another forum member

Joshhh the kext loaded (shown in KextWizzard as loaded) but none of the USB devices attached to the USB3 ports are seen.... (according to the report I posted earlier it is a "NEC uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller") Is this supported by the Kext? (Later on in the report it also lists it as " Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller 2.1.19.0 Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub 2.1.19.0

But I think this may be the problematic Windows driver incorrectly reporting it. (it regularly drops out from Windows and needs to be disabled/re-enabled in device manager (a common/known issue on the W510 with the older NEC chipsets).

I note on the osx86 thread on the text the following "It works with Renesas and Etron ( which requires adding 0x70231b6f to IOPCIPrimaryMatch in Info.plist ) on 10.7/10.8." Do I need to add anything into the Info.plist to get this Kext to work with this device?

In the OSX's Hardware Info it shows the device as :

USB Super-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB

Host Controller Driver: PXHCD

PCI Device ID: 0x7fb400000194

PCI Revision ID: 0x7fb400000003

PCI Vendor ID: 0x7fb400001033

Bus Number: 0xdc

It's not seeing any USB3.0 drives attached. >>> It IS seeing USB2.0 drives!

More research... Seems to be an issue withe the way the controller is handshaking USB3.0 devices (happens with all USB3).

Paul

Hello folks!

Finally I have good news about brightness restore on Lenovo laptops and OSX. With latest revision of Clover bootloader we're able to store and restore screen brightness after reboot or shutdown. Now I'm waiting stable release of Clover to make package files for our laptops.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE: It was a BIOS issue (see post below for my solution)

Trying to install Mountain Lion--my machine reboots at "Loading Darwin x86_64" every time:

I've had an excellently working install of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my T510-4313CTO for the past year. Time to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Installed ML to it's own partition on my data HD by making a USB stick from the latest Install Mountain Lion.app (have a two drive setup on my T510, SSD with Snow Leopard in main slot, regular HD for data in optical bay). Install process went without errors. Booted back into 10.6.8 to install kexts, clear kext cache, copy over DSDT and plists to /Extra, install bootloader.

Tried to boot from Mountain Lion partition--gets through all the kexts to "Starting Darwin x86_64" and then reboots. : (

Here's what I've tried (over the course of several days)

• Trying different DSDTs (mine from current install and joshhh's)
  • Installing only minimal kexts (FakeSMC and keyboard support)
  • Trying every combination of boot flags I could come up with (PCIRootUID=0/1, npci=0x2000/3000, -f -x -v -F, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, mach_kernel)
  • Removing the main SSD from so there was only the drive with the Mountain Lion partition in the machine
  • Remaking my USB stick installer with different downloads of Install Mountain Lion.app and installing ML again; remaking the boot stick with tonymac's stuff as well as with customized bash script found on forums.

No dice--still won't boot. Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to try that should make a difference. Any help is much appreciated!

Are you booting with Chameleon or Chimera? I had a similar problem (I can't remember how far exactly it got through the boot process), but only when I tried to boot from a version of Chameleon that was too old (it was the version I had installed with Snow Leopard on the SL partition). I had also installed Lion to another partition to start off with like you have.

It sounds like you can boot from the drive that has only ML on, which suggests this might exactly not be the problem. I suppose it depends how you installed Chameleon/Chimera to the ML partition though.

You could try to install the latest bootloader to the parition or just see if it tells you what version you have on the bootloader screen and check it isn't too old.

I used the myHack method to install ML and it installed the right version of Chameleon for me automatically, but it did also overwrite my MBR (which I fixed by reinstalling GRUB).

• Like 1

Please check bios option related to bit execution protection and turn it off, had same reboots on load after kext listed in log when installed ML on T410 AMT

Trying to install Mountain Lion--my machine reboots at "Loading Darwin x86_64" every time:

I've had an excellently working install of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my T510-4313CTO for the past year. Time to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Installed ML to it's own partition on my data HD by making a USB stick from the latest Install Mountain Lion.app (have a two drive setup on my T510, SSD with Snow Leopard in main slot, regular HD for data in optical bay). Install process went without errors. Booted back into 10.6.8 to install kexts, clear kext cache, copy over DSDT and plists to /Extra, install bootloader.

Tried to boot from Mountain Lion partition--gets through all the kexts to "Starting Darwin x86_64" and then reboots. : (

• Trying every combination of boot flags I could come up with (PCIRootUID=0/1, npci=0x2000/3000, -f -x -v -F, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, mach_kernel)
  • Removing the main SSD from so there was only the drive with the Mountain Lion partition in the machine
  • Remaking my USB stick installer with different downloads of Install Mountain Lion.app and installing ML again; remaking the boot stick with tonymac's stuff as well as with customized bash script found on forums.

No dice--still won't boot. Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to try that should make a difference. Any help is much appreciated!

Hello folks!

Finally I have good news about brightness restore on Lenovo laptops and OSX. With latest revision of Clover bootloader we're able to store and restore screen brightness after reboot or shutdown. Now I'm waiting stable release of Clover to make package files for our laptops.

Stay tuned!

good

Figured out my issue. It was the BIOS settings:

The v1.51 no-whitelist BIOS listed earlier in this thread was causing the reboots. I reverted back to a v1.47 no-whitelist BIOS I have from another source, and now it boots into ML just fine (This is wrong. It wasn't the BIOS, but the Intel VT-d setting that was causing issues. Disabling the setting fixed my issues)

It also seems that there's a custom DSDT that's baked into the v1.51 BIOS (has the DTGP method and all that). I think I'm going to rebuild my DSDT for Mountain Lion, starting from scratch to make sure the core code is right for my machine. (This is wrong; I'm sorry. The DSDT from the no-whitelist 1.51 BIOS is the same as the vanilla v1.51 BIOS with whitelist.)

UPDATE:

Installed 10.8.2 update from App store. Initially got kernel panic on reboot. Changed BIOS settings to disable Intel VT-d (as suggested by the 10.8.2 lifehacker guide). Then was able to boot into 10.8.2 without issue using the v1.51 no-whitelist BIOS (after reapplying patched system kexts, of course). This is exciting! Really enjoying the myHack system for kext patching.

Bottom line: disable the Intel VT-d setting in your BIOS, if you haven't already.

Me and Mountain Lion are become good friends. Thank you joshhh! I was very happy to get sleep working.

Bluetooth on the T510:

Today I was able to get Bluetooth working natively by editing IOBluetoothFamily.kext and adding the vender/device ids for my internal bluetooth controller.

vendor - 2652 | device - 8575

This gives better control over your bluetooth device, most importantly for me, the ability to turn it off. I don't know what others have in their machines, but for me, it was just a simple matter of duplicating the existing devices and adding my device ID in the Info.plist

File to edit:

IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Content/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport/Contents/Info.plist

Copied one of the existing BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController devices, and simply replaced my device ID, like this:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - T510 Bluetooth</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>8575</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>2652</integer>
</dict>

Install over original file in S/L/E and repair permissions/rebuild caches. Works great!

• Like 1

Great info! I'll try it today, its important for me to because I use Magic Trackpad a lot with T510 and ability to turn BT off without unpairing it is good

Me and Mountain Lion are become good friends. Thank you joshhh! I was very happy to get sleep working.

Bluetooth on the T510:

Today I was able to get Bluetooth working natively by editing IOBluetoothFamily.kext and adding the vender/device ids for my internal bluetooth controller.

vendor - 2652 | device - 8575

This gives better control over your bluetooth device, most importantly for me, the ability to turn it off. I don't know what others have in their machines, but for me, it was just a simple matter of duplicating the existing devices and adding my device ID in the Info.plist

File to edit:

IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Content/Plugins/BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport/Contents/Info.plist

Copied one of the existing BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController devices, and simply replaced my device ID, like this:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - T510 Bluetooth</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>8575</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>2652</integer>
</dict>

Install over original file in S/L/E and repair permissions/rebuild caches. Works great!

Yep!

BT on/off works well! Thanks theaussiepea

Both T510/W510 and possible T410 got same BT card and I can use one patch for all three laptops to enable this feature

proof

0_a0b9d_55cfa34c_M.jpg

Also some cosmetic things will be included - laptop images in About this mac window

0_a0b9c_ac20c315_XL.jpg

And its also possible to change monitor icon too

0_a0b9b_9d6bd53c_XL.jpg

UPD

My crazy workspace

0_a0be1_9f911e23_XL.jpg

Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Try latest version from AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5 and repair permissions on your disk after

Anyone any Idea ? my Intel 82577LM isn't recognized. All working good but no networking possible. I know that I'd have to replace the WLAN chip but the LAN you guys said would be working good. Laptop is the T510 one. Latest Kext + DSDT package installed

hey again,

I was able to install 10.8.2 on T410 and boot it, however.. I've got an issue [as usuall].

So when I boot with VoodooPS2.kext I won't be able to use keyboard/trackpad. I can't even use anything else connected via usb.

I am able to boot into safe mode and there it works fine.

I've removed VoodooPS2.kext and tried to boot again, however I was not able to. I get a white screen for a minute or two and then my laptop reboots.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I've had good luck with the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, found in the default Extra/Extensions folder installed by myHack. I pair them with ThinkpadUltraNav.kext for ultra nav support.

Seems strange that you can't boot without VoodooPS2.kext though.

hey again,

I was able to install 10.8.2 on T410 and boot it, however.. I've got an issue [as usuall].

So when I boot with VoodooPS2.kext I won't be able to use keyboard/trackpad. I can't even use anything else connected via usb.

I am able to boot into safe mode and there it works fine.

I've removed VoodooPS2.kext and tried to boot again, however I was not able to. I get a white screen for a minute or two and then my laptop reboots.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I can't boot into single user mode [even with -x switch], but I did boot into safe boot and removed caches. Unfortunately - no change.

EDIT:

I've removed the caches using installer and running console there, and now I get:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamilu(1.8)

dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore(28.21)

cn.sh.fang.ThinkpadUltraNav(1.1)

EDIT2:

after removing the ThinkpadUltraNav kext [and cleaning caches] I end up with same message as on the photo from 2 posts before.

EDIT3:

I have reinstalled using myHack, I've applied the DSDT and kexts from this thread and everything seems to be ok [haven't tested everything, but it boots to Mac just fine!].

I'm not sure what the problem was, but now it works even without the ThinkpadUltraNav kext.

• 2 weeks later...

@prokorpio... well if you seeing this message in your /var/log/system.log

"Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine"

then you have hit a well known issue with HD3000 on LCD display.

the best solution for me was is to turn off 3D acceleration when i use the LCD with Quartz Debug.

if i use the laptop with an external monitor (alone) you probably wont have any hangs. (I have a T420 with HD3000 only.)

I can't boot into single user mode [even with -x switch], but I did boot into safe boot and removed caches. Unfortunately - no change.

EDIT:

I've removed the caches using installer and running console there, and now I get:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamilu(1.8)

dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleKeyStore(28.21)

cn.sh.fang.ThinkpadUltraNav(1.1)

EDIT2:

after removing the ThinkpadUltraNav kext [and cleaning caches] I end up with same message as on the photo from 2 posts before.

EDIT3:

I have reinstalled using myHack, I've applied the DSDT and kexts from this thread and everything seems to be ok [haven't tested everything, but it boots to Mac just fine!].

I'm not sure what the problem was, but now it works even without the ThinkpadUltraNav kext.

Did you update after installing? I am having exactly the same problem. It only happens once you update to 10.8.2. After that, the only way to boot is with the -x flag.

EDIT: After using Joshhh's kexts from page 6, the machine boots as normal (got a KP once at login screen, but now I don't).