[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

lenovo lion t510 osx mountain lion

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

wyxz2008

wyxz2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
My t510 often crashed. It turned out it was the memory. Memtest reported errors. I replaced the bad memory, and since then my t510 has been working fine.

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Try this

System Preferences - Energy Saver, uncheck "put discs to sleep when possible"

Hello!
First of all, I'd like to thank Joshhh, for providing us with such an easy and straightforward way to have Mountain Lion installed in our Thinkpads (I have a t410 with 256mb nVidia graphics).

I am having some troubles, though. I'm getting some ramdom crashes in my system, for no apparent reason. Recently I've nailed it down to file operations, specially with large transfers with a lot of files, as the User's Library directory. First I noticed while copying it with Finder.app, as the system would crash, without leaving a hint in the log files. Next I tried doing it in single user mode (booting with the -s flag), getting a kernel panic, screengrabs of which I attach in this message.

I have a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Drive(latest firmware installed), I tried both with Trim Enabler and without. I also checked the drive with Lenovo's bios' utility.

Is anyone having similar troubles? Does anyone know how to fix this?

UPDATE:
I just got some more messages in my last crash.

the messages I get are:

SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully (failedCommandInfo = 0x1)
(repeated 6 times)
SerialATAPI Terminating due to unrecoverable Reset error - drive has stopped responding. (resetType = 0x0, newPowerState = 0x01, failedCommandInfo = 0x01)

I'm not sure if they are related to the crash, but they might add some information...

xxxhonyy

xxxhonyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you for great guide Josh! your video shows completely different approach agains what I've always been doing with Uni****t ... the system's running faster, no crashes so far... but my sound, usb3, sleep mode & SD card reader does not work. Is it the way it's supposed to be or I'm missing something on my W520? I used the kext you listed here earlier (ML10.8) and placed DSDT.aml for W520 in Extra.

Tom

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

DSDT pack for Thinkpads updated to match memory allocation regions

Posted Image

https://www.dropbox....r-Thinkpads.zip

xxxhonyy

xxxhonyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've tried your latest W520-DSDT-2-Quadro-1000m.aml (renamed to dsdt.aml an placed in Extra) but it's still the same.

Jappiman

Jappiman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Avoiding to turn off the hard drive won't fix the issue :-(
It seems I have serious problems with my drive...

I'm going to try removing the DVD drive.

UPDATE:
I was able to copy the files without any crashes, by removing the DVD drive. Hopefully I have an USB Bluray reader :-)

Attached Files

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
For sound on W520 you need patched AppleHDA posted two pages before in this topic
usb3 should work with xhci.kext should be found on this forum too
sleep, don't know what is problem with it, need to compare dsdt with one from w520 topic
sd card reader on t510 model is not usb, so it won't work if w520 also have similar one

sound, usb3, sleep mode & SD card reader

thank you for great guide Josh! your video shows completely different approach agains what I've always been doing with Uni****t ... the system's running faster, no crashes so far... but my sound, usb3, sleep mode & SD card reader does not work. Is it the way it's supposed to be or I'm missing something on my W520? I used the kext you listed here earlier (ML10.8) and placed DSDT.aml for W520 in Extra.

Tom

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Look at AHCIStorage kexts in this topic http://www.insanelym...ix/page__st__60

possible replacing it to patched ones should help

Avoiding to turn off the hard drive won't fix the issue :-(
It seems I have serious problems with my drive...

I'm going to try removing the DVD drive.

UPDATE:
I was able to copy the files without any crashes, by removing the DVD drive. Hopefully I have an USB Bluray reader :-)

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted Image

Thnaks for this
can't find my T420 is it possible to add it

Internal_error

Internal_error

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear all,
I've a Lenovo T510 4349-AF5 but even following your guide I were not able to make all working on it. Here there are some details:
1) I installed successfully Mountain Lion 10.8.
2) I installed the required kext as from the file "Lenovo-T510-dsdt-kexts.zip" through the Kext Utility: the audio works fine but I'm not able to make my Wireless network or even the Ethernet Card working. The wireless card is an "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN" and the "Ethernet card is an Intel 82577 LM Gigabit": none of these are working.
3) I installed the DSDT
4) I installed the Chimera boot loader
5) I didn't patch the firmware, because I cannot do it (notebook is not mine!): I hope the DSDT file works even without the patch.
6) I need just the network working: that's all!

I also followed exactly the procedure in the video in this post but the network is not working.
Another problem is that after the boot, it takes a long time for the laptop to be ready to receive input from the keyboard and from the mouse: more than 3 minutes!

Is there anyone that as my same model and can help me with it?

Thanks and regards,
Internal_error

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
WLAN won't work until you replace it with supported one and flash whitelist removed bios

Actual version ok kexts is on page 6 so reinstall them and you'll get LAN working

Dear all,
I've a Lenovo T510 4349-AF5 but even following your guide I were not able to make all working on it. Here there are some details:
1) I installed successfully Mountain Lion 10.8.
2) I installed the required kext as from the file "Lenovo-T510-dsdt-kexts.zip" through the Kext Utility: the audio works fine but I'm not able to make my Wireless network or even the Ethernet Card working. The wireless card is an "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN" and the "Ethernet card is an Intel 82577 LM Gigabit": none of these are working.
3) I installed the DSDT
4) I installed the Chimera boot loader
5) I didn't patch the firmware, because I cannot do it (notebook is not mine!): I hope the DSDT file works even without the patch.
6) I need just the network working: that's all!

I also followed exactly the procedure in the video in this post but the network is not working.
Another problem is that after the boot, it takes a long time for the laptop to be ready to receive input from the keyboard and from the mouse: more than 3 minutes!

Is there anyone that as my same model and can help me with it?

Thanks and regards,
Internal_error

krst

krst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I'm using the latest kexts and DSDT from this thread on my T410, and almost everything works great.
I was able to flash my bios to remove whitelist and put an old Atheros card into the WWAN slot - works ok.
No crashes, no panics... however...
My CPU [i7-620M] is reported as i7 1.2GHz [number of cores is reported fine - 2].
I didn't run any benchmarks yet to see how this report relates to the actual performance.

Unfortunately, there's other thing and it's more important: sleep does not work.
Power button keeps blinking and... that's it.
Like I've said, I'm using all the kexts from this thread.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Thanks

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Cpu speed may be locked at lowest speed if you turn on laptop with disconnected ac cord, thats lenovo precaution to save bat live on high cpu and system load

About sleep try dsdt from post 144 on this page, sleep should work if you did't use any additional kexts like nullcpupowermanagement or sleep enabler

Also bios version may be different, latest one is 1.43

and also a way to get info way laptop doesn't go to sleep is to look at Console log

Hi,

I'm using the latest kexts and DSDT from this thread on my T410, and almost everything works great.
I was able to flash my bios to remove whitelist and put an old Atheros card into the WWAN slot - works ok.
No crashes, no panics... however...
My CPU [i7-620M] is reported as i7 1.2GHz [number of cores is reported fine - 2].
I didn't run any benchmarks yet to see how this report relates to the actual performance.

Unfortunately, there's other thing and it's more important: sleep does not work.
Power button keeps blinking and... that's it.
Like I've said, I'm using all the kexts from this thread.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Thanks

Ok, I'll try to make it this week for models with HD3000 graphics

Thnaks for this
can't find my T420 is it possible to add it

BuckSS

BuckSS

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted Image

Any DSDT update for T510? =)
Still have a repeating messages

08.10.12 17:01:23,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2175

08.10.12 17:01:33,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 3095

Jappiman

Jappiman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I'm also getting quite some of those with my T410

krst

krst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Cpu speed may be locked at lowest speed if you turn on laptop with disconnected ac cord, thats lenovo precaution to save bat live on high cpu and system load

About sleep try dsdt from post 144 on this page, sleep should work if you did't use any additional kexts like nullcpupowermanagement or sleep enabler

Also bios version may be different, latest one is 1.43

and also a way to get info way laptop doesn't go to sleep is to look at Console log

Ok, I'll try to make it this week for models with HD3000 graphics

Thanks a lot!
I've modified my smbios.plist file to include settings from your 1st post and I've removed the nullcpupowermanagement kext and sleep works perfectly!
You were also correct about the CPU frequency.
When starting my laptop connected to the MiniDock the frequency is reported as 1.2GHz. When started with the power cord connected directly it works great and reports the CPU freq correctly.

Thanks!

joshhh

joshhh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I hope this was usefull

Thanks a lot!
I've modified my smbios.plist file to include settings from your 1st post and I've removed the nullcpupowermanagement kext and sleep works perfectly!
You were also correct about the CPU frequency.
When starting my laptop connected to the MiniDock the frequency is reported as 1.2GHz. When started with the power cord connected directly it works great and reports the CPU freq correctly.

Thanks!

This is AppleHDA bug, its not important since all outs and inputs is working well

I have no idea how to fix it yet, but i can upload cx20585 datasheet so someone can try to figure out maybe something is wrong in pinconfig or nodes settings

btw cx20585 and cx20590 is different revisions of one conexant codec cx20671

krst

krst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I've installed the latest update from Apple on my T410 with ML and I can't boot to system.
I get the apple logo with round 'working' animation and that's it. After a minute or two the screen darkens and I get "you need to restart your computer..." notification.
I cannot start using verbose mode [stops somewhere in the middle with no error], however I can boot into safe mode.
Is there anything special I should do after the upgrade?

Thanks

themusicalduck

themusicalduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I had a similar problem when I upgraded. There is a kext that was replaced by the upgrade, if I remember right it was AppleACPIPlatform.kext. If you can replace that kext with the one Joshhh provided while in safe mode, then it should fix it.

krst

krst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hmmm not really.
The only kexts I've seen updated are not the ones provided by Joshhh.
Anyway, I've copied over the ones provided again with no luck.
Right now, even the safe mode won't start.
There's a change however. There's no activity indicator [finally remembered how this damn thing is called ;) ] when loading the system, and the HDD led blinks from time to time.
So I'm testing my patience to see if it will boot eventually.

EDIT:
no luck... I've tried installing OS again and performing update without applying kexts/dsdts and... no luck as well.
Damn :/

Any thoughts?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lenovo, lion, t510, osx, mountain lion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy