[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

WLAN won't work until you replace it with supported one and flash whitelist removed bios

Actual version ok kexts is on page 6 so reinstall them and you'll get LAN working

Dear all,

I've a Lenovo T510 4349-AF5 but even following your guide I were not able to make all working on it. Here there are some details:

1) I installed successfully Mountain Lion 10.8.

2) I installed the required kext as from the file "Lenovo-T510-dsdt-kexts.zip" through the Kext Utility: the audio works fine but I'm not able to make my Wireless network or even the Ethernet Card working. The wireless card is an "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN" and the "Ethernet card is an Intel 82577 LM Gigabit": none of these are working.

3) I installed the DSDT

4) I installed the Chimera boot loader

5) I didn't patch the firmware, because I cannot do it (notebook is not mine!): I hope the DSDT file works even without the patch.

6) I need just the network working: that's all!

I also followed exactly the procedure in the video in this post but the network is not working.

Another problem is that after the boot, it takes a long time for the laptop to be ready to receive input from the keyboard and from the mouse: more than 3 minutes!

Is there anyone that as my same model and can help me with it?

Thanks and regards,

Internal_error

Hi,

I'm using the latest kexts and DSDT from this thread on my T410, and almost everything works great.

I was able to flash my bios to remove whitelist and put an old Atheros card into the WWAN slot - works ok.

No crashes, no panics... however...

My CPU [i7-620M] is reported as i7 1.2GHz [number of cores is reported fine - 2].

I didn't run any benchmarks yet to see how this report relates to the actual performance.

Unfortunately, there's other thing and it's more important: sleep does not work.

Power button keeps blinking and... that's it.

Like I've said, I'm using all the kexts from this thread.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Thanks

Cpu speed may be locked at lowest speed if you turn on laptop with disconnected ac cord, thats lenovo precaution to save bat live on high cpu and system load

About sleep try dsdt from post 144 on this page, sleep should work if you did't use any additional kexts like nullcpupowermanagement or sleep enabler

Also bios version may be different, latest one is 1.43

and also a way to get info way laptop doesn't go to sleep is to look at Console log

Hi,

I'm using the latest kexts and DSDT from this thread on my T410, and almost everything works great.

I was able to flash my bios to remove whitelist and put an old Atheros card into the WWAN slot - works ok.

No crashes, no panics... however...

My CPU [i7-620M] is reported as i7 1.2GHz [number of cores is reported fine - 2].

I didn't run any benchmarks yet to see how this report relates to the actual performance.

Unfortunately, there's other thing and it's more important: sleep does not work.

Power button keeps blinking and... that's it.

Like I've said, I'm using all the kexts from this thread.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Thanks

Ok, I'll try to make it this week for models with HD3000 graphics

Thnaks for this

can't find my T420 is it possible to add it

DSDT pack for Thinkpads updated to match memory allocation regions

0_9d7c2_71018e5b_XL.jpg

Any DSDT update for T510? =)

Still have a repeating messages

08.10.12 17:01:23,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 2175

08.10.12 17:01:33,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 3095

I'm also getting quite some of those with my T410

Cpu speed may be locked at lowest speed if you turn on laptop with disconnected ac cord, thats lenovo precaution to save bat live on high cpu and system load

About sleep try dsdt from post 144 on this page, sleep should work if you did't use any additional kexts like nullcpupowermanagement or sleep enabler

Also bios version may be different, latest one is 1.43

and also a way to get info way laptop doesn't go to sleep is to look at Console log

Ok, I'll try to make it this week for models with HD3000 graphics

Thanks a lot!

I've modified my smbios.plist file to include settings from your 1st post and I've removed the nullcpupowermanagement kext and sleep works perfectly!

You were also correct about the CPU frequency.

When starting my laptop connected to the MiniDock the frequency is reported as 1.2GHz. When started with the power cord connected directly it works great and reports the CPU freq correctly.

Thanks!

I hope this was usefull

Thanks a lot!

I've modified my smbios.plist file to include settings from your 1st post and I've removed the nullcpupowermanagement kext and sleep works perfectly!

You were also correct about the CPU frequency.

When starting my laptop connected to the MiniDock the frequency is reported as 1.2GHz. When started with the power cord connected directly it works great and reports the CPU freq correctly.

Thanks!

This is AppleHDA bug, its not important since all outs and inputs is working well

I have no idea how to fix it yet, but i can upload cx20585 datasheet so someone can try to figure out maybe something is wrong in pinconfig or nodes settings

btw cx20585 and cx20590 is different revisions of one conexant codec cx20671

I've installed the latest update from Apple on my T410 with ML and I can't boot to system.

I get the apple logo with round 'working' animation and that's it. After a minute or two the screen darkens and I get "you need to restart your computer..." notification.

I cannot start using verbose mode [stops somewhere in the middle with no error], however I can boot into safe mode.

Is there anything special I should do after the upgrade?

Thanks

Hmmm not really.

The only kexts I've seen updated are not the ones provided by Joshhh.

Anyway, I've copied over the ones provided again with no luck.

Right now, even the safe mode won't start.

There's a change however. There's no activity indicator [finally remembered how this damn thing is called ;) ] when loading the system, and the HDD led blinks from time to time.

So I'm testing my patience to see if it will boot eventually.

EDIT:

no luck... I've tried installing OS again and performing update without applying kexts/dsdts and... no luck as well.

Damn :/

Any thoughts?

If you try to do 10.8.2 clean install osx should start with fakesmc and replaced ACPIPlatform, other kexts is not so important to start osx, but some devices won't work without it

I don't know what apple did in 10.8.2 update but since it installed osx can't even boot with native ACPIPlatform (10.8 can do) it stuck at some cpu detection code in log. I tested it on my dev ML installation and it stuck after that

So beware install and reboot osx after update without rollbacking ACPIPlatform

Hmmm not really.

The only kexts I've seen updated are not the ones provided by Joshhh.

Anyway, I've copied over the ones provided again with no luck.

Right now, even the safe mode won't start.

There's a change however. There's no activity indicator [finally remembered how this damn thing is called ;) ] when loading the system, and the HDD led blinks from time to time.

So I'm testing my patience to see if it will boot eventually.

EDIT:

no luck... I've tried installing OS again and performing update without applying kexts/dsdts and... no luck as well.

Damn :/

Any thoughts?

Joshhh firstly thanks for putting such an excellent guide together. I have followed your steps on my W510 using the dsdt you posted for the W510 (renaming it to dsdt.aml and copying over the dsdt.aml you had zipped up in the Extra folder. I boot to the bootloader and enter the "-v -f npci=0x2000" value. The drive boots but stops at the end of loading the .Kext files and appears to lockup (CapsLk stops working)

The final 3 messages on screen are:

[ PCI configuration begin ]

[PCI configuration end, bridges 1 devices 15]

The machine then stops and does not continue.

I am very keen to follow your method as I would like to get my shutdown/sleep/hibernate to disk functions working. I have been trying a few other methods to get the machine working but so far everything is working - except the power management and battery functions. If I can get your method working I think I'll be there - bar the hack on the Bios to allow me to use an intenal Wifi card).

Can you suggest what might be going wrong? Have I dont the right thing by copying the other w510 dsdt.aml into the Extra folder and overwriting yours?

What causes the hang at this point normally?

Thanks again for all your inputs on this approach - looks ideal for me to learn more on.

Paul

Also can you advise where I can get a whitelist w510 workable Bios to allow me to use a different Wifi card?

Re. the dsdt.aml file - I have been searching all over for a newbie's guide to help me understand this in more detail. I am assuming the dsdt.aml may well differ from machine to machine based on the Bios levels etc. Should I run a dsdt editor in Windows and import the dsdt you have posted and recompile it? What is the right way to get a correctly configured dsdt.aml (sorry for my lack of knowledge in this space). Can you point me to any good infosource on both dsdt.aml and approached to create a whitelist/w510 bios (or better still direct me to a bios already having it done!)

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul!

I can patch latest bios and remove whitelist from it. Also you can flash now latest version of bios and get dsdt from working machine, most of parts in dsdt should be the same but memory allocation regions may differ. So you can get it from live cd ubuntu or from AIDA64 in windows

About

[PCI configuration end, bridges 1 devices 15]

in common situation this may be FakeSMC error or maybe or AppleACPIPlatform, wold be great if you make photo of boot log so I can get more details from it

Also with Clover bootloader there is a way to boot completely without dsdt with DSDT patch mask 0xFFFF in boot menu - button O. It could be installed on USB flash latest version, attached below

Also can you advise where I can get a whitelist w510 workable Bios to allow me to use a different Wifi card?

Re. the dsdt.aml file - I have been searching all over for a newbie's guide to help me understand this in more detail. I am assuming the dsdt.aml may well differ from machine to machine based on the Bios levels etc. Should I run a dsdt editor in Windows and import the dsdt you have posted and recompile it? What is the right way to get a correctly configured dsdt.aml (sorry for my lack of knowledge in this space). Can you point me to any good infosource on both dsdt.aml and approached to create a whitelist/w510 bios (or better still direct me to a bios already having it done!)

Thanks

Paul

CloverV2_64_HFS_r751_Cham2064_install.pkg.zip

• Like 1

In AIDA64 on left bottom side right click ACPI submenu - and something like extract tables or dsdt extract

Are you definitely boot with -v -f npci=0x2000 with no quotes? Possible npci=0x3000 may help instead of 0x2000

Hi Joshhh

here is a pic of the hang.

You mention USB. Should I copy the file onto the hard drive I have been building the image with?

Paul

I've installed Aida64 but not entirely clear what I should extract. Here is the HW report for the machine.

I've also extraceted the DSDT and attached.

In AIDA64 on left bottom side right click ACPI submenu - and something like extract tables or dsdt extract

Are you definitely boot with -v -f npci=0x2000 with no quotes? Possible npci=0x3000 may help instead of 0x2000

Joshhh I have made some progress since my last message. "The machine is now booting to DSMOS has arrived"! I have tried setting GraphicsEnabler=no but it still just stops there. When I boot to the single user/command line I dont have a keyboard. I think have finally worked out how to extract the DSDT.bin ( :thumbsup_anim: ) and have added it to this post. Slowly getting there I think.Here is my DSDT

W510_acpi_Stuff.zip

OK here is little modded dsdt for memory and gfx

boot with graphicsenabler=yes this time

Joshhh I have made some progress since my last message. "The machine is now booting to DSMOS has arrived"! I have tried setting GraphicsEnabler=no but it still just stops there. When I boot to the single user/command line I dont have a keyboard. I think have finally worked out how to extract the DSDT.bin ( :thumbsup_anim: ) and have added it to this post. Slowly getting there I think.Here is my DSDT

w510-DSDT-no-gfx.aml.zip

OK here is little modded dsdt for memory and gfx

boot with graphicsenabler=yes this time

I have renamed the .aml file to dsdt.aml and copied it into the extra folder. graphicsenabler=yes makes not difference to the behavior. Does the cloverleaf boot option need to have dsdt.aml specified? It have an option for DSDT with a value "BIOS.aml" next to it....

The symptoms I am seeing are still the same. THe machine's keyboard stops taking inputs when the ACPI stuff kicks in. I am using the voodoops2controller from the .zip files you shared. Is there another one I should be using?

Can you confirm the full string I need to use?

right now I have been using

-v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x2000 (and also 0x3000)

I have renamed the .aml file to dsdt.aml and copied it into the extra folder. graphicsenabler=yes makes not difference to the behavior. Does the cloverleaf boot option need to have dsdt.aml specified? It have an option for DSDT with a value "BIOS.aml" next to it....

The symptoms I am seeing are still the same. THe machine's keyboard stops taking inputs when the ACPI stuff kicks in. I am using the voodoops2controller from the .zip files you shared. Is there another one I should be using?

Can you confirm the full string I need to use?

right now I have been using

-v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x2000 (and also 0x3000)

Progress. I used -v -f graphicsenabler=yes npci=0x4000 and was able to boot to the GUI. Still no keyboard and trackpad/trackpoint I dont have a spare USB keyboard :os

I've used the voodoops2controller.kext you shared in your guide. What other options are there for me to try? What are the .kext files I need to replace in order to get the internal keyboard/trackpad and trackpoint working?

Has anyone tried out the firewire with ML yet? According to System Information, the firewire is detected:

FireWire Bus:
 Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

I'm considering buying an audio interface and just wondering if it's worth trying out a firewire one.

Also, been getting occasional NVDAResman.kext kernel panics lately in 10.8.2. Not sure if it's because of the eGPU or something else. It generally just happens when doing something pretty simple.

I can try to connect my old dv camcoder to ieee bus tomorrow and check it. I think it should work fine

And I also had one kp related to video drivers after 10.8.2 update once after wake from sleep. more than two weeks with no kp or freezes at all

Has anyone tried out the firewire with ML yet? According to System Information, the firewire is detected:

FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

I'm considering buying an audio interface and just wondering if it's worth trying out a firewire one.

Also, been getting occasional NVDAResman.kext kernel panics lately in 10.8.2. Not sure if it's because of the eGPU or something else. It generally just happens when doing something pretty simple.

And I also had one kp related to video drivers after 10.8.2 update once after wake from sleep. more than two weeks with no kp or freezes at all

Could be onto something there. The laptop went into sleep mode while I wasn't there, before I had remembered to disable it in power settings. Although the KP didn't happen until a little while after wakeup. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks for offering to check the firewire. It'll be good to know if it works properly.

DV camcoder works well

post-120553-0-79754600-1350836157_thumb.png

post-120553-0-40588300-1350836174_thumb.jpg

I think its also possible to use IEEE port as network adaptor as I did a lot time before with my first generation 15" unibody macbook pro and desktop hackintosh

Could be onto something there. The laptop went into sleep mode while I wasn't there, before I had remembered to disable it in power settings. Although the KP didn't happen until a little while after wakeup. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks for offering to check the firewire. It'll be good to know if it works properly.

PXHCD.kext.zip