[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

b1f init b1f error - seems like its trying to do MBR boot?  are you sure there is no UEFI setting? you could try to install the legacy boot stuff to the USB with the clover installer. uncheck the 1st item, check the 2nd item and in 3rd item, Bootloader check the middle (boot0af)

Ok, did that: Now its booting but stuck at loading ACPI-Sensors.

Added one Sensor...

I'm getting further. I was looking about UEFI-Boot and the w510, it looks like there is no UEFI-Boot possible :(

link here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion-Knowledge/What-is-UEFI-and-when-was-it-introduced-on-Lenovo-systems/ta-p/466583

Next tried with npci=0x2000, here it stops at PCI configuration end. With npci=0x3000 it stops at PCI configuration begin.

FakeSMC is loaded before, so seems to load the injected kexts.

I use the config.13xx.plist:

Now i stuck at "Cant load AppleHDA...kext due to missing library dependencies.

Much further now. Seems the better option :)

@poppolocco - well ok - sorry i didn't know it is not UEFI capable or it seems any boxes listed on this thread. But that's ok -  the same clover config will work for MBR - just a matter of installing the MBR boot loaders. So far kexts, you don't need the AppleHDA.kext (the one in my zip is for 10.9.1 and patched for CX20590 codec) for an installer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, can someone help me out here?  Looks like Mavericks sees the Intel internal video in my T510 but it never 'switches on' the GUI at the end of the boot process.
I get no kernel panics, it boots up, you can hear the HD and see the access light blinking, it shows all kinds of console messages about my wi-fi card connecting to the network, hard drive info, etc. but the GUI just never 'kicks in'.

I've removed all non-intel video kexts that I can think of, (radeon/geforce, etc) and I have Natit and the updated Intel QE/CI drivers for 10.9 from this post but I cannot get GUI to work.  

I just KNOW it's almost there.  I couldn't install directly onto the HD from the laptop itself, I had to do it from another mac, and remove the video drivers that caused issues.
Otherwise it's pretty vanilla except for the required T510 drivers, and the DSDT that I had working fine with 10.8.5.

See below.  It definitely detects the internal video, right?

b2S3CVK.jpg

@patwoods - do you have the optimus or switchable model? and what do you have set in the bios? it detects the Intel HD obviously. osx won't load the wrong thing so frankly i would not remove any kexts. Optimus is a GeForce model if i recall so you might be missing those?

@patwoods - do you have the optimus or switchable model? and what do you have set in the bios? it detects the Intel HD obviously. osx won't load the wrong thing so frankly i would not remove any kexts. Optimus is a GeForce model if i recall so you might be missing those?

I have a t510 (core i5) with integrated Intel (8086) graphics from what I understand.  Not switchable graphics.

It feels like it's just not finding the GFX card or framebuffer (or whatever it's called), correctly, otherwise all appears totally normal.  

It boots up and you can see all the processes there in the console.  

It just doesn't 'switch over' to the GUI.

is it possible that because I am using Chameleon instead of Clover, that is the problem?  I have not installed Clover yet, as Chameleon works fine for my 10.8.5 install on this machine.  Is Clover a requirement for this model for Mavericks maybe?

@patwoods - Hmm i had a 510 before the 420 and i thought the 510 are all dual gfx: HD Graphics  (probably 00468086) + Nvidia 3100 or something. which is configured in bios 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76476

i would look to see what kexts are running on 10.8.5 and/or look in the about this mac under hardware gfx to see what it has.

clover is not a requirement for 10.9 

• 2 weeks later...

@patwoods - Hmm i had a 510 before the 420 and i thought the 510 are all dual gfx: HD Graphics  (probably 00468086) + Nvidia 3100 or something. which is configured in bios 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76476

i would look to see what kexts are running on 10.8.5 and/or look in the about this mac under hardware gfx to see what it has.

clover is not a requirement for 10.9 

The model I have has only Intel HD graphics (00468086) with no nVidia.  According to my console screenshot above, it sees the Intel HD video just fine, it just doesn't switch into GUI mode at the end of the boot process.  I installed Mavericks onto the second internal HD from another machine, as I could not ever get any version of installer to boot into GUI on the laptop natively.  I tried making installers from all methods I (this thread manually, MyHack, Tony*Mac) and none booted into GUI.  

I don't get kernel panics, it boots and it's functioning rather well according to the console.  It just never switches into GUI mode.  It's just so frustrating, I know its gotta be something simple, since the 10.8.5 video works like a charm with full QE/CI.

Hi all, 

After some timeI ve decidet to try new Maverick 1.9.2 on my Thinkpad T410i (Intel Graphics), so i brought new SSD.

I have almost fully working 1.8.5 on the same laptop. 

First I formated my Clover USB as MasterBoot and installed Clover_v2k_r2652 for my boot loader, something went wrong an I had to use Seas Cookson's ACPI files and configuration files, also i added DSDT from alabama's T410s files.

On the Other USB (formated also as MasterBoot) using Vanilla Guide  (without Chameleon) created Maverick installation USB,

added to S/L/E folder alabama's T410s files (without his AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext) and files from [GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI  for my Intel graphics card.

First I got problem with bluetoothcontroller which is connected to graphic card but anyway I disabled bluetooth in BIOS.

Then i got problem with SuperIODevice Fatal unsupported ship ID=0xffff but fixed it removing LPCSensor.kext from FakeSMC.kext

and now here is my new problem:

post-216491-0-41488200-1395839876_thumb.

post-216491-0-41488200-1395839876_thumb.jpg

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

post-216491-0-41488200-1395839876_thumb.jpg

Hi all, 

After some timeI ve decidet to try new Maverick 1.9.2 on my Thinkpad T410i (Intel Graphics), so i brought new SSD.

I have almost fully working 1.8.5 on the same laptop. 

First I formated my Clover USB as MasterBoot and installed Clover_v2k_r2652 for my boot loader, something went wrong an I had to use Seas Cookson's ACPI files and configuration files, also i added DSDT from alabama's T410s files.

On the Other USB (formated also as MasterBoot) using Vanilla Guide  (without Chameleon) created Maverick installation USB,

added to S/L/E folder alabama's T410s files (without his AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext) and files from [GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI  for my Intel graphics card.

First I got problem with bluetoothcontroller which is connected to graphic card but anyway I disabled bluetooth in BIOS.

Then i got problem with SuperIODevice Fatal unsupported ship ID=0xffff but fixed it removing LPCSensor.kext from FakeSMC.kext

and now here is my new problem:

post-216491-0-41488200-1395839876_thumb.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Very nearly the same issues I have. 

I also have a perfectly fine 10.8.5 installation working well on this laptop and by all accounts Mavericks should work well, but it's not.

MIne also gets to that bluetooth line and even further, but the Intel HD graphics never kick into the GUI which apparently happens right around that point. 

It's got to be something with the video drivers not working correctly.

Is the screenshot above from booting the installer?

Very nearly the same issues I have. 

I also have a perfectly fine 10.8.5 installation working well on this laptop and by all accounts Mavericks should work well, but it's not.

MIne also gets to that bluetooth line and even further, but the Intel HD graphics never kick into the GUI which apparently happens right around that point. 

It's got to be something with the video drivers not working correctly.

Is the screenshot above from booting the installer?

Yes thats from my booting installer.

But i found another way to install Mavericks ...

and now i got fully working Mavericks 10.9.2 !!

I got closer, using that tutorial.  However, this is what it boots up to.  It's definitely closer to a GUI.  Any ideas?

Yes i have Intel HD5700!

One correction i have instaled 10.9.1 first than updated to 10.9.2

I had a problem with installing mavericks, but after patching MBR 10.9.1 patch installed it fine.

U can try that

Yes i have Intel HD5700!

One correction i have instaled 10.9.1 first than updated to 10.9.2

I had a problem with installing mavericks, but after patching MBR 10.9.1 patch installed it fine.

U can try that

I get it booting just fine under GUID partition, I don't think MBR is my issue.  It almost looks like the pointers to the location of the graphics framebuffer (all speculative verbiage on my part here) are in the wrong spot, and something simple like changing a couple bytes somewhere will fix it...  it seems so close.  I can even hear the installer audio if I fiddle with it long enough, it's running, just not displaying correctly.

Its SO close.  Arrgh!

I get it booting just fine under GUID partition, I don't think MBR is my issue.  It almost looks like the pointers to the location of the graphics framebuffer (all speculative verbiage on my part here) are in the wrong spot, and something simple like changing a couple bytes somewhere will fix it...  it seems so close.  I can even hear the installer audio if I fiddle with it long enough, it's running, just not displaying correctly.

Its SO close.  Arrgh!

I didn't see your spec. , maybe you can try with another framebuffer, or even better you can try to pach your framebuffer.

@patwoods

please read this post about Fixing Scrambled,Stretched, or Wrong Resolution Laptop Display Problems

maybe this can help you

Thanks, I've tried multiple framebuffers in the past using the QE/CI post, and even patching my own using Giofrida's patcher with the output from the text file dump on linux.

The worst part is its working 100% in 10.8.5 even with QE/CI!  Strange!

I'll definitely try this post above though - it looks promising, even if it's from 2010...

• 1 month later...

It took a lot of effort from many threads across many sites...

Working T410 on 10.9.2.

Model #2516-DCU

2.66Ghz Core i5

Intel GPU w/ QE/CI (no nvidia optimus in this laptop)

Dell WiFi DW1510 - replaced stock lenovo card

BIOS 1.45 w/ wifi whitelist

8GB DDR3

Modded DSDT to enable backlight and proper battery status.

backlight controls ScrLk / Pause (down/up)

This should get you up and going on 10.9.2.

untested:

Sleep

Card Reader

VGA

eSATA

DisplayPort

LAN - Appears to work with AppleIntelE1000e.kext (haven't tried it w/ a cable yet)

DVD Player errors out (valid DVD drive could not be found) - haven't looked into this yet.

Lenovo.zip

• Like 3

It took a lot of effort from many threads across many sites...

Working T410 on 10.9.2.

Model #2516-DCU

2.66Ghz Core i5

Intel GPU w/ QE/CI (no nvidia optimus in this laptop)

Dell WiFi DW1510 - replaced stock lenovo card

BIOS 1.45 w/ wifi whitelist

8GB DDR3

Modded DSDT to enable backlight and proper battery status.

backlight controls ScrLk / Pause (down/up)

This should get you up and going on 10.9.2.

untested:

Sleep

Card Reader

VGA

eSATA

DisplayPort

LAN - Appears to work with AppleIntelE1000e.kext (haven't tried it w/ a cable yet)

DVD Player errors out (valid DVD drive could not be found) - haven't looked into this yet.

DUDE!  You are the man.  I had given up on Mavericks on this T510.  I knew it was something simple though, whatever you had in your DSDT and/or those kexts finally did the trick.  I've been messing around with framebuffers, video kexts, and all kinds of stuff, but I threw your extensions in S/L/E and E/E and all is well.  

Even the backlight works!  Now, I need to test sleep and this thing is nearly 99% perfect!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

• Like 2

@ludacrisvp

you may be able to get the DVDplayer working by adding IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

the version of this kext in my zip bundle (see Guide in signature link) has the info.plist edited to just make ATAPI show up as internal device (vs external)

DUDE!  You are the man.  I had given up on Mavericks on this T510.  I knew it was something simple though, whatever you had in your DSDT and/or those kexts finally did the trick.  I've been messing around with framebuffers, video kexts, and all kinds of stuff, but I threw your extensions in S/L/E and E/E and all is well.  

Even the backlight works!  Now, I need to test sleep and this thing is nearly 99% perfect!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Sleep works.  

Edit:  Audio now works with most recent VoodooHDA kexts in M*beast.  

Thanks again ludacrisvp!

With Ludacrisvp's DSDT I get sleep and backlight working, but I cannot seem to keep the fan from running constantly.

Is that something to do with SpeedStep, and if so, how to get that working?

This is getting closer to being perfect...  just a little more and it will be my daily machine :)

For the life of me i cannot get this to boot to the installer, once the apple logo shows it boot loops. I have tried several dsdt's and cannot get to the installer whatsoever. 

I have attempted 10.9.2 and 10.8.5 vanilla installs with multiple boot flags but nothing seems to work. I updated the BIOS to the latest i'm starting to pull my hair out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-M60M68PA&feature=youtu.be

T510 Model 4384Y1K 

i5 2.4gz/4gb ram /w Quadro NVS 3100m