[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

Hi to all here!

I try to install mavericks onto my new used lenovo w510, but i ran into a serious problem:

When finished the usb and try to boot on the lenovo, i only get a blinking cursor, nothing more. It looks to me as if i miss a necessary step within my installation...

What i did:

Restored baseSystem.dmg to the usb-stick, which i first formatted GPT, HFS and journalling enabled.

Then i copied the kexts to S/L/E, changed ownership and permissions.

Copied the whole Extra-folder to / of the usb-stick.

Installed clover and copied the respective DSDT.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and to /Extra.

Extracted the mach_kernel to /

Copied the config.plist from the W510-files folder to /EFI/CLOVER

I noticed that the /boot which was installed from clover, was shown as document. So i changed permissions to a+x (executable)

Did anyone have a similar problem and maybe a hint for me?

Update:

Tried to boot the usb-stick on my imac and got instantly a kernel-panic:

Unable to find driver for this platform "\ACPI\"\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2422.1.72/IOKit/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1541

Maybe the panic is because of booting on the imac...

poppolocco - 

if your USB is GUID/GPT formatted, then you need to put the Clover EFI stuff in the hidden ESP partition and not in the same partition as the OSX stuff. if you haven't done it, you can set the debug mode of Diskutil or manually mount on command line.

quit disk utility

on command line run:

$ defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

relaunch disk utility and use Debug menu set "Show every partition"

if you are working with mavericks - your method of copying the contents of basesystem.dmg will work, but there is alternate usb creation methodology. see the link in my signature with some tips on how to make a clover bootable USB etc.

and then you will not have to have clover install the MBR boot tools to the USB .... assuming you have set UEFI mode and Legacy mode in the BIOS. 

note besides just DSDT you need to add FakeSMC (required) and VoodooPS2Controller kexts (unless you have usb keyboard/mouse) to get the USB to boot.

I managed to install 10.9.1 on my T410s 2924 with hybrid graphics (IntelHD GMA 5700MHD and NVidia NVS3100M with multiplexer switching), but I'm having trouble completely understanding the clover config/kexts/dsdt editing after installation.

What I have done so far:

Create install USB following this guide

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293925-non-uefi-guide-to-installing-os-x-mavericks-with-clover/?p=1968433

Put all the kexts from these two posts to /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.9, update SMBIOS info to Macbook Pro 6.2, enable Nvidia GPU injection in Clover's config.plist

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/274218-guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t510510i-plus-t410-and-w510-106-107-108-109-all-working-ok-20131112-update/?p=1973621

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/274218-guide-lenovo-thinkpad-t510510i-plus-t410-and-w510-106-107-108-109-all-working-ok-20131112-update/?p=1852451

Flash non-whitelisted BIOS http://forums.mydigi...ll=1#post669700 and replace Intel WiFi card with Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

In BIOS Disable Vt-d and Security Chip (disabling the Security chip stops the annoying beeping caused by the modded BIOS) and switch to discrete graphics

Boot from USB, install OSX, reboot from USB again and from OSX install Clover to HDD EFI partition with the same setup as it was on the USB 

Now I would like to get the bluetooth, card reader, brightness keys and integrated GPU working. But I don't really know where to start. Am I supposed to create and patch my DSDT or to copy the kexts from Clover partition to /System/Library/Extensions? Or something else?

This guide Is perfect also for thinkpad t410s (Intel HD) ,except for some dsdt modifications.

I'm attaching my all working config in case someone needs it.It includes

Thanks a lot for the package, works without a hitch! Did you ever try to get DisplayPort to work on the T410s? The only thing I really miss is my external monitor.

I have a T510, Mountain Lion working fine with all kexts, dsdt etc. from first post..  Had to modify Intel drivers for QE/CI as mentioned by others, but its really working great in 10.8.5.

I installed 10.9 onto second internal HD and cannot get it to boot to the GUI though - tried using both chimera and clover.  It looks like it's working, (no errors or KPs) but it never switches over into GUI mode.  Hard drive activity keeps going, for several minutes, as if it's chugging nicely along waiting for me to interact with it on the GUI desktop. I can see it logging into my wifi and network successfully... all kinds of non-error related messages.

Any ideas?   I can't figure it out for the life of me.   I'd love to get this thing onto Mavericks, but I just cannot 'see' the desktop to utilize it. It sounds like it's JUST out of my reach. Anything to help would be awesome.

FYI, I ran into similar issues trying to use the Mavericks USB installer off USB; I had to resort to installing using a real mac and installing to this HD via a USB enclosure then moving it internally to the laptop.  Never got to the GUI no matter what I tried.  No errors, just no GUI.

Hello tluck,

I managed to install Mavericks via a raw image from olarila, and thanks to your help i understand the basic thing of the EFI-partition.

Now i'm stuck at the following. I installed clover ( first two options ticked, rest was greyed out. Installed the rc-scripts too) into the EFI-partition and copied the kexts, configs and dsdt.aml, but now system halts at boot0af.

I searched about it, but no luck with all. Most info is about a wrong info in smbios.plist, but it seems to me the right one. Its the smbios.plist from the beginning of this thread.

I can boot fine via the usb-stick into my installed mavericks, but not directly.

And much thanx for your help!

@poppolocco - 

is your box set to boot from UEFI? meaning using clover from ESP partition on your HD.

boot0af error means it is trying to boot MBR vs UEFI

if UEFI boot, then you will probably need a few more UEFI drivers i.e. EmuVariableUefi and OsxAptioFixdrv. 

refer to the Guide in my signature.

@patwoods - i have seen issues with bluetooth keeping the GUI from showing up. you could try disabling bluetooth in the bios. make sure vt-d is off too. (i don't have a t510 to help further)

No clue how to disable Bluetooth in the Bios on this model... any other ideas?  Thanks in advance :)

@tluck,

good that you mention MBR-problem: The EFI-partition is formatted HFS+ on a GUID formatted drive. So no MBR present. If i look deep inside my head, i think to remember that the EFI was formatted msdos, but clover could not install into that partition. So i formatted the EFI-partition HFS+.

Maybe here are my problems dancing around?

I never have red about this two files: EmuVariableUefi and OsxAptioFixdrv. No thread mentions that files in conjunction to the lenovo w510. Strange.

I think i will try again with a new usb-stick. Everywhere in that big bunch of threads some important steps are missing, seems to me. Or only people who have done that millions of times know the missing things. And as a full-noob with hackintosh its not so easy to get the thing running... Very hard. :(

I feel so silly

@poppolocco

if you created the GUID/GPT disk (or usb) with apple Disk Utility it will automatically format the ESP to msdos. i would not override that otherwise the boot tools cannot read that partition!  i don't see as much traffic on this thread so Clover on T510 or W510 doesn't seem to be as well documented. if you manually mounted the ESP, unmount it before you run the Clover pkg installer.

on the T420, we need to add a few extra UEFI drivers to get around some shortcomings/quirks on this platform. you can re-format a USB to be either MBR or GPT to test both methods of boot (MBR vs UEFI), which are both supported by Clover and the pkg installer. 

Hi to all,i have found a way to control the thinklight with the thinkvantage button with just a little dsdt modification.

all you need to do is to modify the  _Q19 Method in the DSDT like this to use cmos comands.

Method (_Q19, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (KBLT)
                {
                    UCMS (0x0D)
                }
                Else
                {
                    UCMS (0x0C)
                }
            }

I think this applies to all thinkpads.

hmm... wonder why you can't you just turn it on? with the T420, i can just turn on the light the "normal" way - FN+PgUp (has blue light on the key). the think vantage key has been mapped to increase fan speed to max in the DSDT for my setup.

ok, i started up newly: created a new usb-stick the described way, installed clover and put the w510.aml to root of ESP-partition, put the corresponding config.plist to ESP-partition and tried to boot. No luck. Changed the clover-setting on reinstall and ticked off "UEFI only", ticked "install boot0af in MBR", then at last the stick started to the clover-boot-screen. But then choosing "install OS X ..." i get stuck at AppleIntelPCIPowermanagementClient ready.

Tried with npci=0x2000, npci=0x3000, PCIRoot=0, PCIRoot=1, -x -v. All with different freezes.

The ApplePCIPower.... message comes with PCIRoot=0. Tried with options "Patch ApplePCIPowermanagement", but no success.

hmmmm. But the first time i get more than a blinking cursor.

What can i do now?

if w510.aml is your DSDT then you need to put that in the right folder (not root/top)

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (default name is DSDT.aml ). 

/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9

did you put the needed kexts (FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller etc) in 10.9?

what does your config.plist look like? did you model it after the one i put in for the T420?

hmm... wonder why you can't you just turn it on? with the T420, i can just turn on the light the "normal" way - FN+PgUp (has blue light on the key). the think vantage key has been mapped to increase fan speed to max in the DSDT for my setup.

I just like to have one key mapped to turn it on or off .I dont like using both hands to turn it on.Its just a matter of personal use that i just wanted to share in case someone like me wanted it that way.Anyway its optional. :)

Ok, lets look. The EFI-partition has the following structure. Omitted the standard-clover-files for more clearance...

/boot

/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ACPIBatteryManager.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/AppleHDA.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/AppleIntelE1000e.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/FakeSMC.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

/Extra/DSDT.aml

/Extra/HWMonitor/...

/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

/Extra/smbios.plist

Here is my config.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DropOemSSDT</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>DsdtName</key>
		<string>DSDT.aml</string>
		<key>EnableISS</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>FixDsdtMask</key>
		<string>0x0000</string>
		<key>GenerateCStates</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>GeneratePStates</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>PLimitDict</key>
		<string>0</string>
		<key>ResetAddress</key>
		<string>0x64</string>
		<key>ResetValue</key>
		<string>0xFE</string>
	</dict>
	<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>EnableISS</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>Turbo</key>
		<string>No</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>GraphicsInjector</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Pointer</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Speed</key>
		<string>8</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>05/03/10</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MBP61.88Z.0057.B0F.1112091028</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F22586C8</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
		<string>C0033ZFCAGX</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>MacBook Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>Mobile</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro6,2</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<key>SmUUID</key>
		<string>CD4A70A9-1246-545F-8EE2-7FCF3ED4E15A</string>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.30f3</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DefaultBootVolume</key>
		<string>Install OS X Mavericks</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>LegacyBoot</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>boot-args</key>
		<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 -v -x PCIRoot=0</string>
		<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
		<string>de:0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Volumes</key>
	<dict>
		<key>HideAllUEFI</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

org.chameleon.boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>DSDT</key>
	<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
	<key>Default Partition</key>
	<string>hd(0,2)</string>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1600x900x32</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 -x -v</string>
	<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>Default</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and smbios.plist:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>NAME</key>
	<string>MacBookPro6,2		15.4"</string>
	<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MBP61.88Z.0057.B0F.1112091028</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F22586C8</string>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>MacBook Pro</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacBookPro6,2</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Hope that helps

I wish i could send a photo from the boot-screen, but didnt find any option here. :(

PS: EmuVariableUefi and OsxAptioFixdrv are installed too via clover.

@poppolocco -

/Extra means nothing to clover.

that config.plist does not look current? missing some key stuff.

extract the stuff especially the the config.plist in the zip from the guide in my signature - i would model yours to be more like that. 

the kext patch and kext injection are usually important.

@poppolocco - yes clover will do the patching and injection - but you need put that in your config.plist - start with my config.plist (1366x768 probably is best?) and modify as you see fit.

EDIT - 

you say it didnt work - what happened or did not happen? are you on 10.8.x or 10.9.x (at one point you mention iatkos?)

it seems you stuck on making an OSX installer right? Booting the OSX installer is not that different from booting from the HD. 

either way - you need to inject and/or patch these 4 kext typically (along with a custom DSDT.aml for your system)

1 FakeSMC - clover can inject

2 VoodooPS2Controller - clover

3 AppleIntelCPUPM - Clover can auto patch this
4 AppleRTC (not always needed) but clover can patch this too.

Edited by tluck

@tluck: I started again fron scratch: Made the installer this way:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/boot/ --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction

(boot was the GUID formatted USB-drive. Its name changed to Install OS X Mavericks.)

Next mounted the EFI-partition and copied the whole content of your EFI-folder into the EFI-partition:

/BOOT

/CLOVER

renamed the config.1366x768.plist to config.plist.

Changed to NVIDIA from Intel Graphics.

Changed DefaultVolume to the USB-Installer.

Looks now like this:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>FixMask</key>
			<string>0x0000</string>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-v slide=0</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>Install OS X Mavericks</string>
		<key>Fast</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Log</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>8</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<false/>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>960x600</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>ThinkPad</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DualLink</key>
		<string>0</string>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>NVIDIA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<true/>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Next copied my DSDT.aml which I got from the beginning of this thread (w510-files.zip) to ACPI/patched. Overwrote the existing file. (deleted that file first, then copied)

Booted from that USB-stick and get now

b1f: init

b1f: error.

Next try:

Renamed the config.1600x900.plist to config.plist.

Changed the same two parameters like before with the config.1366x768.plist

Booted again:

Same result: b1f: error

hmmm, every time something new... But nothing useful out there regarding that error.

I didnt install clover first to that usb-drive. Is that maybe my mistake??? Should I install clover first with the first 2 options ticked and then replace the whole CLOVER and BOOT folders in that EFI-partition?

is your bios set to allow UEFI boot? i think yes?

is your USB a GPT or MBR format? i think yes?

but

is where is the CLOVER and BOOT folders - are then  /<mountpt>/EFI or at the root (top) level?

mkdir /mnt

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt

ls -l /mnt

this should show EFI folder

ls -l /mnt/EFI should have BOOT and CLOVER folders in it.

thanks again for your quick reply, tluck!

My bios has no setting regarding to UEFI Boot. I use v1.4.5 whitelisted.

By the way, vt-d is disabled, same with sec-chip and computrace...

USB is GPT-formatted (The EFI-Partition is msdos (FAT32)) Was done via the OSX-Installer. No change made by me.

ok, lets look:

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS HD              98.7 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             1.3 GB     disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *18.8 MB    disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS whatever            18.8 MB    disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.1 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X Mavericks  8.1 GB     disk2s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS extra                   7.6 GB     disk2s3

ok, its disk2.

ls -l /mnt shows:

ls -la /mnt/
total 14
drwxrwxrwx@  1 _unknown  _unknown  1024 23 Feb 02:02 .
drwxr-xr-x  26 root      admin     1326 23 Feb 02:05 ..
drwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown   512 22 Feb 20:11 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx@  1 _unknown  _unknown   512 22 Feb 21:15 .Trashes
-rwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown  4096 18 Feb 19:02 ._.Trashes
drwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown   512 23 Feb 02:06 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwx   1 _unknown  _unknown   512 23 Feb 01:56 EFI
[tiffany:/] root# ls -la /mnt/EFI/
total 25
drwxrwxrwx  1 _unknown  _unknown   512 23 Feb 01:56 .
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown  _unknown  1024 23 Feb 02:02 ..
-rwxrwxrwx  1 _unknown  _unknown  4096 22 Feb 21:07 ._BOOT
-rwxrwxrwx  1 _unknown  _unknown  4096 22 Feb 21:07 ._CLOVER
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown  _unknown  1024 22 Feb 21:07 BOOT
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown  _unknown  2048 22 Feb 21:27 CLOVER

looks pretty. But doesnt work :(

And i copied only the folders to the EFI-partition, didnt install clover before that!