[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

My Lenovo T410s has an Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 a/b/g/n WiFi adapter which seems unsupported in Mavericks (works fine in Win7 dual boot).

I read that I need to replace it with another WiFI card which does work, so I bought an Broadcom BCM94322HM8L card on eBay, which is half-size and also supports a/b/g/n.

My question is, on this forum I read that I might need a modded / unlocked bios to be able to install this WiFi card.

I don't see a modded BIOS for download for my model (T410s), or is this the same as the T410? And another thing is that my current (original) BIOS version is newer than the modded-one listed for download.

I currently have version 1.44, while the modded / unlocked version for the T410 (without 's') is only 1.43.

Has anybody a unlocked BIOS version 1.44 (or higher) for the T410s?

My Lenovo T410s has an Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 a/b/g/n WiFi adapter which seems unsupported in Mavericks (works fine in Win7 dual boot).

I read that I need to replace it with another WiFI card which does work, so I bought an Broadcom BCM94322HM8L card on eBay, which is half-size and also supports a/b/g/n.

My question is, on this forum I read that I might need a modded / unlocked bios to be able to install this WiFi card.

I don't see a modded BIOS for download for my model (T410s), or is this the same as the T410? And another thing is that my current (original) BIOS version is newer than the modded-one listed for download.

I currently have version 1.44, while the modded / unlocked version for the T410 (without 's') is only 1.43.

Has anybody a unlocked BIOS version 1.44 (or higher) for the T410s?

Hi,have a look here http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/5866-LENOVO-(IBM)-Bioses-especially-Thinkpad/page482?p=669700&viewfull=1#post669700

this worked for me

Nothing but trouble here.  I have installed multiple times with no luck for Mavericks.  Any help is appreciated - I keep getting stuck at an ACPI error in the boot process.

I have a T510, model 5384VCJ using Clover, installed fine using a thumbdrive.  At one point in time this machine was running about 90% good using Lion, but I got crazy and thought i could clean install Mavericks and have it work with few issues.

No matter what combo of minimal kexts (just FakeSMC, or using all of the provided kexts from the main thread), I cannot get past the ACPI error "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\"..... (etc.) no matter what boot flags I use in either Clover (installed to the drive) or if I try to boot using a thumbdrive with Chameleon on it as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  From the first posts it looked like this is a slam-dunk install or at least slam-dunk to get started.  I must have skipped a step...?

Thanks, Seas - that got me further, past the ACPI issue.  

Still having issues with it coming up to the desktop.  I'm going to try a few more things here, then I'm going to clean-install Mavericks all over again, and try from scratch I guess.

It boots then stops but with no more kernel panics.  I am assuming it's fully loaded to the desktop but something is preventing it from displaying.

I used my hack to make the usb installer to install mavericks, then installed the t510 kext pack, booted into desktop copied the extra kexts to SLE, the graphics one have to be there for some reason.  removed my hack kext from SLE and installed clover and played around with settings using clover configurator.

When you say installed the kext pack, did you install that to the USB installer media first, and did you remove any extensions from the USB S/L/E folder first as well?

I have a hard time even getting the installer to boot.  Did you use any boot arguments as well (for both the USB installer and booting off the installed HD)?

Sorry for all the questions.  Thanks for your help!

my hack asks if you want to install an extra folder, chose the t510 extra folder from the pack you download from this forum (if you've got a spare usb or can copy it to your my hack install) everything else is untouched, myhack also removes kexts that cause trouble.  yes the only boot argument I use is npci=0x2000

The T510-Files folder at the very beginning of this thread didn't have any /Extensions folder within the /Extra folder.  

There was a Mountain Lion S/L/E folder though, I renamed that folder to Extensions and MyHack happily accepted it.

I had MyHack remove the trouble kexts during the installation too.

Afterwards, I rebooted and was met with the gray screen/spinner, using only the boot arg you listed, still no luck.  Spinner stops spinning and freezes, and hard drive activity eventually stops and it sticks there.

Using npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v  as args, it boots to the [iOBluetoothHCIController]... stuff then just sits there.  I think that's where the graphics are supposed to kick in, and they aren't.

That sucks, since it's not even panicking, it looks like it's almost there.

OK, I am copying those S/L/E extensions for Mountain Lion from the beginning of this thread to /Extra/Extensions on the MyHack USB.  Will reinstall Mav and see what happens..  

In the meantime, I tried using GraphicsEnabler=No npci=02000 -v with no difference in results visually, EXCEPT that I could hear audio about VoiceOver and how to use it.  Unfortunately the screen never went to the GUI still.

Frustrated.  Tried a brand new install of MyHack.  No extra extensions.  Just default Mavericks USB installer.

Used every combo of -f -v -x npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes  and it now boots to a garbled screen.  It's getting closer?

I have not removed nor added anything here.  Just a vanilla MyHack USB installer. I cannot even get that to load right, now.  

Hi There!

Thanks for your all great working in getting OSX running that well on the T510, it makes me happy

and since at x-mas i have nothing to do with my time, i installed - and - it works!

However it wasn't my first hackintosh, so it was more simple for me but however, my first one was z77 based, which works like out of the box.

So, i faced several problems i solved which i just want to share with you before i tell you my problems.

First of all, i'am using the Lenovo  T510 4314-9WG (nvidia, i7, 8gb, SSD, 1080p)

OSX 10.8.5

General Hackingtosh things i learned:

kernel panics - tons of kernel panics:

- One of the greatest things i learned, Clear your kext Cache! however how often you copy new kexts, it will not work without problem

until you deleted the kext Cache!

- boot with -f to ignore the kext cache if you forgot to rebuild

- not only delete the kext cache, rebuild it as well to check if the kexts could be loaded

do it like this:

touch /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -update-volume /

if you are getting errors theere, especially if there are a "compile" or "build" error at the end (error 71)

you will run into more problems, make sure permissions are correct, (root,wheel)

or use the disk utility to fix permissions.

T510 Related stuff:

Multiple people here posted about keyboard  and trackpad problems,

I Had this Problem too and i'am not sure why but i fixed.

First of all: the t510 is using ps2 keyboard and trackpad.

first it didn't worked at all, i then installed the ApplePS2Controller, ApplePS2Mouse and ApplePS2Keyboard.kext.

trackpoint still wasn't working but trackpad. however the keyboard not.

but after a few seconds (or after pressing space on the "connect your bluetooth keyboard" screen) keyboard started to work as well.

later  i removed all of them again and replaced them with a patched VoodooPS2Controller.kext

<snip>

bash-3.2# pwd
/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns
bash-3.2# ls
ThinkpadUltraNav.kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext
<snap>

just put those kexts into the Plugins directory, google will find them for you.

thats it, everything else works fine or not at all :)

and now to my own problem.

Speedstep is not working ass expected.

cpu is well to often on 2ghz while doing nothing.
And the lowest frequency is 1.2ghz but on linux it was 700 or less.
additionally, cpu got very hot which sucks.

what i tried:

NulllCPUPowerManager.kext
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

at chamelen i enabled/disabled C and P states

and last but not least: MSRDumper.kext:
Dec 20 03:31:41 Marcos-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(0)
Dec 20 03:31:41 Marcos-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached:

so nothing...

i expect its DSDT. so i will upload you my currently used one, and i will also dump one of my T510.
maybe there is something different hopefully someone of you can help me with this.

Link to my files:

-Silicium

generally when you get the ACPI error on startup  - whether during startup of the OSX installer or running OSX - it is 1 of 2 things (or both!).

1) there are problems with the DSDT - some of the patches clover introduces will cause problems - so back off on the number of patches - or better yet use the pre-prepared DSDT from joshhh instead.

2) FakeSMC.kext is not loaded and it cannot the determine the platform to set the gfx framework for buffers. again make sure you inject kexts, ignore cache. 

other items -

PS2 controller:  i encourage you take a look at Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller - it replaces the older ApplePS2controller and PS2NUB kexts.

rehabman's battery manager the way to go too! its call ACPIBatteryManager.

clover will handle the 2 most common KPs on startup associated with bogus P/C states and AppleCPUPM and/or AppleRTC errors. If you use chameleon and don't have a properly patched DSDT etc make sure you get a patched set of kexts use/replace them.

speed step - NullCPUPowerManagement - turns off speed step. So typical you need to drop SSDT and let chameleon or clover generate the p/c states unless you create your own proper ssdt.aml

for sleep often folks use the rollback to snow leopard AppleACPIPlatform.kext - the older battery needed also. but you may not have rollback anymore. but it you don't have proper CPUpowermgt it won't sleep anyway - so remove NullCPUPM.

ps i used to have a 510 before i got my 420! links to good tools etc can be found in the link in my signature.

Allright, i created the ssdt.

./ssdtPRGen.sh 35 3333

compiled with DSDT Editor, had to fix line 10

<snip>

Name (APSS, Package (0x12)

</snap>

and removed the package size 0x12.

compiled, put to /Extra and rebooted

(Once with and once without C/P states in  chameleon)

on both the behavior changed the same, speedstep is still stepping,

but from  from 2Ghz up to XY instead of 1.2ghz to 2.6ghz.

I want to achieve speedstepping from 700 to 2660Mhz.

Can additionally someone describe me all the speedstepping {censored} more exactly?

- what does the chameleon C/P states exactly do? (not C/P states itself, i know all of them, but the setting in chameleon)

- what does the ssdt exactly do? Does it depend to some Apple stock kexts i may replaced?

- what different kind of speedstep solution exists? and what are the pro and cons of them?

Thanks for your help!

Is it advantageous to use Clover in place of Chameleon?  I cannot get Mavericks to boot, but 10.8.5 works very well now.

Every time I try to boot the mavericks installer I get garbage on screen or a frozen spinner.

What are the advantages/disadvantages for Clover on a T510 if someone has the time to respond...?

• 4 weeks later...

A few notes to those who are installing OSX 10.9 Mavericks on a Thinkpad T410 256MB nvidia to save some time

1. If you boot into the myHack installer and get the installer log after selecting a languange, you should not apply the MBR patch after making a Mavericks Bootable USB. You may also format your USB with the GUID partition table as well.

2. Use Kext Utility and not Kext Wizard when installing some kexts (not trying to be bias) but it seemed to install and fix my WIFI kext over the other.

3. If you are trying to get Disk Utility to work because it's complaining about packages missing, grab the BSD.pkg from Mavericks.app/Contents/InstallESD/BSD.pkg and install it.

4. I had to use ThinkpadUltraNav.kext to get my Red mouse nub to work.

5. I'm still having trouble shutting down/restarting but that's next.

6. Trying to do it with UniFail is literally a nightmare. I've been banned from that site for just suggesting how to fix problems it's just awful!

7. I was able to update OS X Mavericks to 1.9.1 without any conflicts!

• 2 weeks later...

This guide Is perfect also for thinkpad t410s (Intel HD) ,except for some dsdt modifications.

I'm attaching my all working config in case someone needs it.It includes

Fan readings and control,

Lpc loading (very cool temps with fan at the lowest level)

Sleep

Usb after sleep working

Brightness control

Atheros 9825 fix 

applehda,etc..

Also there is a perfectly calibrated Color profile

All the kexts go to /System/Library/Extensions 

OS X Mavericks

How did you got to boot from USB? I've tried everything and stuck after bluetoothhcicontroller!

I'm don't use clover.

@winteum

- i suggest you turn off off bluetooth (bios/hw) for the installation. Then you can add your bluetooth device info into the bluetoothhcicontroller kext  once you get the system up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for a great guide! Using this and a Tonymacx86 guide, I am now running Mavericks 10.9.1 with almost everything functional on my Core i7 320M 512mb NVS 3100M at 1440x900. Dual-booting Windows 7 Pro (which was installed first and uses a workaround to get to Chimera bootloader - it IS possible!).

Working: discrete graphics only, sleep, bluetooth, mini USB wireless adapter, ethernet, webcam, sound/mute, mic, brightness adjustments, QE/CI, trackpad with 2 finger scroll, Trackpoint with buttons, power management

Not working: Intel graphics, built-in wifi, Optimus graphics switching (must set discrete graphics in BIOS or else KP), memory card reader

Haven't tried: Display out (no VGA or HDMI adapter, sorry)

I can't think of anything else left to try...

BUT I am having problems with internal temperatures. The fan runs as expected: faster under heavy loads and slower at idle. However, I cannot see the fan info in iStat Pro. My base temps are in the 50-60C range for the 2 CPUs, heatsink, and GPU and HD is in the low 40s. Under load during gaming (Diablo 3, LoL), the temps get as high as 100C. I tried to use Fan Control to manually set the fan RPM higher (I know, you're not supposed to leave the fan on because it uses energy and will cause eventual failure, but better the fan than my CPU!) but it did not change the speed of the fan at all. In fact, it seemed to set it at a constant low speed so it really overheated under gaming load.

I am afraid to change anything because if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it but I want to make sure the computer will have a good lifespan.

Please tell me or help me find a way to manually adjust fan control, or if it is even possible or not. Thanks

Hi , 

maybe i´m too stupid but where exactly in this post is the original guide ? i can only click on top of this topic on several icons which are linked to photos , but they not work. The other icons link me to a dropbox with files , the download is working. under this stuff there are the updates and release changes , all with some downloads , but i won´t find the original guide. 

i´ve tried the ML short guide, but no success. I am not able to get into setup screen , i had tried 10 install methods or more, but always it stucks on Bluetooth error, it reboots or make a blank screen after the bluetooth row on startup. I know it is graphics when i get the bluetooth error, but i can only try GraphicsEnabler=No , but then i got Bluetooth error, with yes Blank screen . i have intel 3000 only but i read it works from 10.7 on .. pls help me 

@benlabel.  hmm yeah the images on the 1st post have gone missing. but the downloads zips for each platform seem to be there. if you are getting stuck with bluetooth, you may want to disable bluetooth in the BIOS until after you get the OS installed and then add your device to the bluetooth kexts.