[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad T510/510i (plus T410 and W510) 10.6-10.7-10.8-10.9 all working OK! 2013.11.12 Update

joshhh

499 posts in this topic

Dear gcafrk

Can you share your DSDT file and some kext that's used on your T410?

My T410 (2522-CTO) has some problem with Fingerprint, Battery and Sleep/wake-up. :help:

Many thanks!

I will write a new post this weekend with details information of how to change DSDT for T410 (NVS3100), boot loader configure file, related kext (including my patched AppleHDA), & etc.

Could you please wait for some days?

• Like 2

Actually, my T410 (with NVS3100M) is working perfectly!!

1) QE/CI works.

2) AppleHDA works. Internal speaker/Internal MIC and external earphone/external MIC works, they can automatically exchange.

3) Sleep/wake-up works.

4) USB device reading/writing works well, even plugin USB HDD after wake-up, and no system crash.

5) Bluetooth works well.

6) Fingerprint works well.

7) Battery information can be shown.

8) LAN works well.

9) Firewire works well.

10) VGA output works well.

Ba ba ba ba ba ... ...

I patch AppleHDA and re-edit DSDT again after this Christmas holiday. Now, I can carry my T410 out for travel. I think that there is no need for me to buy a MBP.

Joshhh, I cannot download your DSDT from dropbox due to internet connection problem. But I am sure that some code in your DSDT for EHC1 & EHC2 need to be changed.

Do you consider to use my below codes for EHC1 & EHC2 in Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)?

You may find a surprise!!!!

• "AAPL,current-available",

• 0x05DC,

• "AAPL,current-extra",

• 0x04B0,

• "AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep",

• 0x03E8,

• "AAPL,device-internal",

• 0x02,

• "AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep",

• 0x3E8,

• "AAPL,standard-port-current-in-sleep",

• 0X1F4,

Hmm yours has an Nvidia graphics card though - mine only has the onboard intel HD graphics :(

I will write a new post this weekend with details information of how to change DSDT for T410 (NVS3100), boot loader configure file, related kext (including my patched AppleHDA), & etc.

Could you please wait for some days?

Thanks a lot! Waiting for your good news :thumbsup_anim:

Hi guys,

Been a while since I haven't been here. This thread still seems to be the most active Thinkpad Mountain Lion one so I will put it here.

My W520 has been working really fine and today I have finally gotten the SD Card Reader to work. It uses the VoodooSDHC.kext v1.1.2 attached. I had to change a number in the info.plist so that it points to the right device. It was looking for 1180 : e822 and the Ricoh device in my W520 is 1180 : e823. I installed with Kext Utility and it now works and I get good transfer speeds (~40MB/s).

Enjoy!

EDIT: W520, i7 2.4 Ghz, 12GB, nvidia Quadro 1000m, OSX 10.8.2,

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

Edited by SimonLL

You need to change system version before running terminal command to install ML from 10.7. Or I think easy way is to install ML on macbook with Lion is to use USB-HDD

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist change you 10.7.* to 10.8 and installer will run flawlessly

@mandrean

it seems like your model may have Intel 5700 MHD graphics?

http://support.lenov...thEntry=2537CD5

then click on any of the panels below like drivers and it lists the hw details.

i would suggest you use a dsdt to define a few things required to make a hackintosh laptop more compatible with osx.

for one thing you will need the gfx definition to get your monitor working to full resolution (dual-link definition)

i have the t420 with 1600x900 and without the dsdt definitions it wont bring up the display on the lcd properly.

Hi, I would be extemely grateful for some advice on getting 10.8.2 installed on Thinkpad W510 (i7 quad core, 32Gb RAM, FX880M)

I have access to a Macbook running 10.7 and I have purchased the 10.8.2 download. I cannot install 10.8.2 on the Macbook as it will break certain apps which aren't yet compatible with Mountain Lion. I have tried following the easy install guide video but the terminal gives an error saying command line installs are not possible from OS X versions lower than 10.8 - is there a workaround for this? Do I need to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method for this stage?

The other step I am not clear on is setting up the bootloader. In the W510 files download there is a Clover-Boot folder. Is this the recommended one as I see Chameleon mentioned in other posts? If it is Clover-Boot I should use then how exactly is this installed?

Apologies if these are basic or repeated questions - am entirely new to this.

Thanks very much

Try to leave only FakeSMC without CPUsensors. DSDT possible not working because you god different amount of RAM installed in system. In that way I see only one solution - use Clover bootloader with DSDT fix mask and without dsdt file at all

Hi

I was playing with my W510 (4391-B51) a while but no success so far.

Tried step by step procedure from Simple Install guide - not working, just white screen with logo and spinner.

Managed to install system from USB created with ######, boot into installed system from USB and then make it running using ######.

System is booting, can get working keyboard and trackpad using Voodoo PS/2 from ###### (with PS2 kext from pack trackpad is working but not keyboard), also working gigabit ethernet, Nvidia Quadro FX880M.

With kext from packs I can get working battery and bluetooth and that's all

With dsdt files from first page system is not booting. Splash screen changing to more 3D-ish but that's all, just spinner spinning forever.

Installed patched BIOS - no change.

Already tried on both 10.8 and 10.8.2 - same result.

Not sure what more can I do to get it working as described.

Last info from verbose boot is about problems with CPU sensors kext - "failed to load", but then it says

[PCI configuration begin]

[PCI configuration end, bridges 1 devices 15]

[PCI Configuration begin]

so I assume problem with CPU sensors kext is probably not the reason, at least not the most important reason.

One - probably very basic thing - can't figure out how to apply patches from packs. Is it just something I shoult put into Extras folder?

Intel HD graphics in first generation Core i processors will not work on Hack because of different interconnection between GPU and video outs. In real MacBooks Pros 2010 It use some kind of hardware multiplexer to get HD and Geforce 320M working together

Hi all,

I seem to be struggling to find a definitive answer on this but sorry if I missed it.

Does qe/ci work with a lenovo t410 with just HD graphics on ML?

I've got my build done but ML isn't really worth it with all the odd glitches otherwise.

I'll read your post. About DSM section for USB - I used short version because of BT lost after sleep. Don't know if this problem is still present, but with rollbacked ACPIPlatform it occur from time to time after sleep on my laptop and on others laptops too.

I'll try to check this theory.

Actually, my T410 (with NVS3100M) is working perfectly!!

1) QE/CI works.

2) AppleHDA works. Internal speaker/Internal MIC and external earphone/external MIC works, they can automatically exchange.

3) Sleep/wake-up works.

4) USB device reading/writing works well, even plugin USB HDD after wake-up, and no system crash.

5) Bluetooth works well.

6) Fingerprint works well.

7) Battery information can be shown.

8) LAN works well.

9) Firewire works well.

10) VGA output works well.

Ba ba ba ba ba ... ...

I patch AppleHDA and re-edit DSDT again after this Christmas holiday. Now, I can carry my T410 out for travel. I think that there is no need for me to buy a MBP.

Joshhh, I cannot download your DSDT from dropbox due to internet connection problem. But I am sure that some code in your DSDT for EHC1 & EHC2 need to be changed.

Do you consider to use my below codes for EHC1 & EHC2 in Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)?

You may find a surprise!!!!

• "AAPL,current-available",
  • 0x05DC,
  • "AAPL,current-extra",
  • 0x04B0,
  • "AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep",
  • 0x03E8,
  • "AAPL,device-internal",
  • 0x02,
  • "AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep",
  • 0x3E8,
  • "AAPL,standard-port-current-in-sleep",
  • 0X1F4,

I tried the posted VoodooSDHC.kext with my T510 (10.8.2), changing the device id in the Info.plist to e822 (for my machine). Didn't work for me. The computer locked up and had to be manually reset when I inserted an SD card.

Thanks for posting though! Anyone else able to get this to work on a T510?

On T/W510/410 Card reader is

1180-E822

[ Ricoh PCI-E SD Bus Host Adapter ] Device Properties: Device Description Ricoh PCI-E SD Bus Host Adapter Bus Type PCI Express 1.0 x1 Bus / Device / Function 13 / 0 / 0 Device ID 1180-E822 Subsystem ID 17AA-2133 Device Class 0805 (SD Host Controller) Revision 01 Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported

I tested some VoodooSDHC kexts and non of them get card reader working well, some of them get os freeze, some do nothing on card insert

I will test it on weekend

Hi guys,

Been a while since I haven't been here. This thread still seems to be the most active Thinkpad Mountain Lion one so I will put it here.

My W520 has been working really fine and today I have finally gotten the SD Card Reader to work. It uses the VoodooSDHC.kext v1.1.2 attached. I had to change a number in the info.plist so that it points to the right device. It was looking for 1180 : e822 and the Ricoh device in my W520 is 1180 : e823. I installed with Kext Utility and it now works and I get good transfer speeds (~40MB/s).

Enjoy!

EDIT: W520, i7 2.4 Ghz, 12GB, nvidia Quadro 1000m, OSX 10.8.2,

Joshhh - thanks for the reply.

I did try a USB-HDD as the install destination but didn't work. If I try to change the version number on the MacBook I have access to is there any chance of breaking the system?

Also, I could do with a bit more info on installing the bootloader. Your step by step video is great and no doubt I can follow that if I can get around the version number issue. Could you give me a brief step-by-step on getting the bootloader installed and working?

Cheers

You need to change system version before running terminal command to install ML from 10.7. Or I think easy way is to install ML on macbook with Lion is to use USB-HDD

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist change you 10.7.* to 10.8 and installer will run flawlessly

Try to leave only FakeSMC without CPUsensors. DSDT possible not working because you god different amount of RAM installed in system. In that way I see only one solution - use Clover bootloader with DSDT fix mask and without dsdt file at all

Yes its possible to break system if you change version and reboot after without rollback it.

Small remark. Terminal should be running when you change system version due its limited to run with only current 10.7.* system version, running on changed system terminal and other apps will prompt BLABLA app cannot be run on this version of OSX or something about...

Dont forget to rollback system version after installation complete

And I'll make today or tomorrow video guide of installation process + clover boot loader installation

Joshhh - thanks for the reply.

I did try a USB-HDD as the install destination but didn't work. If I try to change the version number on the MacBook I have access to is there any chance of breaking the system?

Also, I could do with a bit more info on installing the bootloader. Your step by step video is great and no doubt I can follow that if I can get around the version number issue. Could you give me a brief step-by-step on getting the bootloader installed and working?

Cheers

Success report:

First. Had a L520. Sold it because of this thread and got a T410 i5 NVS 3100M 256mb. Also got a half-size wifi card as mentioned by joshhh. Flashed bios with winphlash windows utility.

Used iAtkos ML2 usb key to install a clean* install of 10.8.2 (only fakesmc, iAtkos says). I'm on MBR By the way, after having too many fits with GPT.

Installed latest chameleon manually (with the hard to find fdisk440 By the way, to try to keep win7 happy).

Copied over Extra folder with dsdt, Kexts, chmod -R 755 /S/L/E and chown -R root:wheel /S/L/E,

but no keyboard.

Added ps2...nub to the mix, and it's good.

Sleep, Turbo (as reported in system log), brightness, BT, sound, mic, even the thinklight works ; D

My main question at the moment is about heat and CPU scaling.

My system fan is running all the time right now. CPU core temp is at 131 F, istatmenu says.

I can't see fan RPMs in istatmenus (normal?).

At the moment I have both VTx and the other processor setting (forgot the name!) turned ON.

I'm about to turn VTx off, but I doubt that will help my temp problem.

Is there something I'm missing to help the CPU scale down?

There's no way to monitor how it's scaling? Wasn't there CPUz or something? It's 32 bit only?

EDIT: I found the app in the HW Monitor folder in /Extra, and it does seem the CPU is scaling correctly. It goes down to x9 at idle, and x20 when in use.

The fan does turn off sometimes. = )

Thanks so much everyone, and joshhh.

Full working system was hard (impossible) for me to get on T61, but now it's just about here. So happy. :halfstar_smile:

Any word on the SD card reader?

Hey joshhh and others. After searching the web for positive response on installing OSX on my W510 i stumpled on this site. I am very excited, and got right to it. But even though trying both your method an myhack, as well as searching the web for help, i'm stuck at the first step of the install process. Every time the i boot from the usb, all kext's are loaded but just as the Grey GUI appears, the pc is rebooting and it all starts over. I have tried all flags, which doesn't change a thing. I found one link which said that this kind of problem could occur if the Intel virtualization was turned on in the BIOS, but turning this of didn't change a thing. Do you have any clue to what it could be? Regars Anders

Now I have to look how I get resolved this "issue", either I have warranty from the dealer where I bought the laptop used, or I still have IBM warranty. I think that audio probably never was working on this laptop, but it also is possible the the used-laptops dealer has done this, so IBM warranty will not count. And actually I do not want to send my laptop fo weeks to repair, so might be I just try to get a new speaker and replace the old one and hope, that the shortcut did not kill anything on the board.

finally I decided to send my T410 to the dealer to get it repaired, this was a week before Chrismas.

They changed the speaker but figuered out, that the shortcut also damaged the board, so they had to order it.

Today I got the Laptop back, the good news are, that the speaker-sound is working now, on every system, even on Mac OS X 10.7.

But while the ThinkPad seems to run as expected on Win 7 and Linux (means stable, no crashes, no hangs etc.), on Mac OS X it's now mostly unusable, because it hangs very frequently. Just after login, when opening the Finder or Forklift, when copying s.th., when minimizing a window to the Dock and even when starting, login and then waiting for a short time.

When it hangs, it shows the screen as it was, time stops, the mouse-pointer freezes and I have to poweroff the Laptop.

Before the repair was done, the system was very stable on Mac OS X and (mostly) everything worked as desired.

I already made a BIOS-update to the latest version (1.44) and the same I had on the old board, I loaded the BIOS-defaults and set all options as they have been on the old board, but this does not change anything. And also my Mac OS on my service-partition has the same problem, so it seems not to be the particulare installation.

How can I figure out where the problem can be, right now I have no idea where I can search for :-(

And a short other question:

What is the best and easiest way to update the BIOS with the custom one you modified? Will there be an modified BIOS for the current T410 v1.44-BIOS?

Thanks a lot,

PS: "I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44."

I think incorrect memory allocation in dsdt cause this unstable behavior. So to fix It I need raw dsdt from new motherboard and info about ram size

finally I decided to send my T410 to the dealer to get it repaired, this was a week before Chrismas.

They changed the speaker but figuered out, that the shortcut also damaged the board, so they had to order it.

Today I got the Laptop back, the good news are, that the speaker-sound is working now, on every system, even on Mac OS X 10.7.

But while the ThinkPad seems to run as expected on Win 7 and Linux (means stable, no crashes, no hangs etc.), on Mac OS X it's now mostly unusable, because it hangs very frequently. Just after login, when opening the Finder or Forklift, when copying s.th., when minimizing a window to the Dock and even when starting, login and then waiting for a short time.

When it hangs, it shows the screen as it was, time stops, the mouse-pointer freezes and I have to poweroff the Laptop.

Before the repair was done, the system was very stable on Mac OS X and (mostly) everything worked as desired.

I already made a BIOS-update to the latest version (1.44) and the same I had on the old board, I loaded the BIOS-defaults and set all options as they have been on the old board, but this does not change anything. And also my Mac OS on my service-partition has the same problem, so it seems not to be the particulare installation.

How can I figure out where the problem can be, right now I have no idea where I can search for :-(

And a short other question:

What is the best and easiest way to update the BIOS with the custom one you modified? Will there be an modified BIOS for the current T410 v1.44-BIOS?

Thanks a lot,

PS: "I've installed Lion on my T410 i7 with NVidia/256 and it works mostly perfect. Lion is 10.7.5 and BIOS is updated to the latest original-lenovo 1.44."

@mac4tp

the hang you described sounds like the dreaded HD3000 buffer ring stall issue - well understood - but no true fix. There are work arounds with some compromise.

look in /var/log/system and if you see lots of these when it hangs...

Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine

and then VRSYNC... ,BRSYNC...

1) 10.8.x seems less subject to hangs - and seems to recover better vs power reset.

2) Developer tool Quartz Debug will allow one to turn "2D Acceleration" off - will alleviate the hangs.

3) use only external monitor - bypass LCD buffer.

4) reduce AppleIntelSNBGraphics kext buffers from 4 to 2. (LVDS and HDMI/Display port)

see bcc9's post:

http://www.insanelym...ridge-osx-lion/

but could be something else!

good luck.

Hi joshhh,

I think incorrect memory allocation in dsdt cause this unstable behavior. So to fix It I need raw dsdt from new motherboard and info about ram size

I attached my DSDT to this post.

Two additions:

- I have this problem with the original 4 GB RAM but also with my new 8 GB RAM configuration.

- Since today, the T410 seems to be stable again, no idea why, because everything I have done, was installing Linux on an other partition, reinstalling Chameleon as boot-loader (because Linux killed the old one) and reinstalled the latest version of ######. But all this was done using my "service-system" and not the productive one I'm using now.

And an other addition:

- I worked some hours with the T410, then it freezes again. I powered off the system, started it, logged in and while Mac OS restored the windows, it freezed again :-( Again I powered off and started it, then doing some other work, logged in some minutes later and now it seems to work.

Finally (?) the last one:

- Right now I can work an hour or more with the system, without any problems. Yesterday I made photo- and video-sorting from my HD-cam for about two hours, then some web and banking stuff when the laptop freezed. Today I'm doing some web, email, banking and terminal/ssh-work since some hours and "still" no problem. I don't think it's the temperature, because iStat tells me temperatures around 55°C when it crashes, while temperatures over 70°C don't make any problems.

Still no idea what it can be :-(

@tluck:

the hang you described sounds like the dreaded HD3000 buffer ring stall issue - well understood - but no true fix. There are work arounds with some compromise.

look in /var/log/system and if you see lots of these when it hangs...

Debug info for apparent hang in Main graphics engine

and then VRSYNC... ,BRSYNC...

No, I don't think so. I checked the system.log, but I did not find any of these entries.

And it worked before I got it back from repair.

Thank you very much,

DSDT_T410_2522-3FG_130126.txt

Hi,

I am trying to install Mountain Lion which I bought from the Mac Apple store (from within a Snow Leopard VM (version 7.1) on Windows 7.

I used U...B..st to prepare a 16Gb USB drive. thus far this works great. it starts up and begins the OS X install (after setting AHCI mode). It indicates around 21 minutes of install time.

At 16 minutes it hangs for awhile and then generates a generic OS X error message which says that the OS cannot be installed.

I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad 510i.

CPU i5 M450 2,4 GHz

RAM 4GB

HDD 320GB

help would be greatly appreciated.

Taitun

Hi,

I am trying to install Mountain Lion which I bought from the Mac Apple store (from within a Snow Leopard VM (version 7.1) on Windows 7.

I used U...B..st to prepare a 16Gb USB drive. thus far this works great. it starts up and begins the OS X install (after setting AHCI mode). It indicates around 21 minutes of install time.

At 16 minutes it hangs for awhile and then generates a generic OS X error message which says that the OS cannot be installed.

I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad 510i.

CPU i5 M450 2,4 GHz

RAM 4GB

HDD 320GB

help would be greatly appreciated.

Taitun

Please red the rules. Your install method is not supported here. If you have questions in connection with your install method, ask on the developers site of this software or the developer by himself. Alternativly you can follow this guide: http://www.insanelym...s/#entry1835023

Have fun.

Looking for some clarity on the HDMI audio situation.

I have a T410 NVS 3100 256mb, installed with Joshhh T410 kext/extra pack. I have a displayport - HDMI adapter, that audio works great with in windows.

In 10.8.2 I get no HDMI audio. Video works great, and mirroring too.

I've even tried an older version of his dsdt/AppleHDA posted in this thread.

Has anyone had success with HDMI audio? Am I doing something wrong?

It is a priority to get working for me. Would voodoohda help, at the expense of breaking something else?

thanks!

Hi,

But while the ThinkPad seems to run as expected on Win 7 and Linux (means stable, no crashes, no hangs etc.), on Mac OS X it's now mostly unusable, because it hangs very frequently.
again I was wrong :-(

Win 7 and Linux seemed to be stable, I could install some Win software and a lot of updates without issues and I also was able to install Linux on the T410 without any hang or similar. So I though that it has to be a problem with Mac OS X.

But then I generated quite a lot CPU load with a bash-script on Linux, the temperature went up to 82°C and the laptop freezed after some minutes. This was reproducable on Linux and on Mac OS X too. So it seems, that it was not my Mac OS X installation but the powermanagement on a Hackintosh still is not as good as it is on Windows or Linux.

So finally I disasembled the T410, removed the CPU cooler and as far as I could see, there was not enough thermal grease between cooler and CPU :-( So I removed it and replaced it with new one, put all together and now it seems that every thing works as expected.

Again I tried to "heat up" the CPU with my bash scripts, now the temperature does not go over 79°C and even after 10 minutes, the system still is not freezed. Hopefully I have a stable and fast system now for long time, because it is extremely annoying if the system does not work.

And I think that the quality control should be improved for some dealers, because both errors (speaker and cooler) are quite easy to check!

So thanks again for any ideas and help in the forum!

OK, my T410 with NVS graphics is working GREAT with this install method. Only audio over HDMI not working.

Now, have also got another T410, but with HD3000 graphics. I'm confused - is there a good DSDT someone has to use for HD3000? We can't use an NVS dsdt for a T410 w/ HD3000, can we?

I've looked through the thread and don't see a DSDT posted for HD3000 T410. At the moment I can't get the T410 w/ HD3000 to boot into login screen at all, just -s text only mode.

Anyone? Thanks :wink2:

@pentiumx - i dont know exactly how different the 410 is from the 420. but here is a link to dsdt and somes edits for a T420 with core i5/i17 with HD3000 only gfx. not sure if the dstd would just work. otherwise there are some edits to get the monitor, and HDMI with audio working.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279148-dsdt-patches-for-t420/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

new noob here with a retail 10.6.3 DVD and a spare W510 (model 4389 with NVIDIA Quattro FX-880M, 2.0GHz i7 and 8GB RAM, running original BIOS 1.45).

My google fu brought me here, but I am lost as how to apply the W510 files from the first post and install SL.

Is there a straightforward way? The youtube video linked is blocked for me here.

I manged to do a basic install with instructions and tools from "you-know-who", but my understanding is that using clover would be "the right way" of doing it.

However I could use some help and maybe a pointer (or two) into the right direction.

I also don't know if I should/need to downgrade to the BIOS v1.44 and how to do that with linux or dos (don't have windoze in da house...and Lenovo does not provide the flash utility separately)

TIA,

Hominidae

Has anybody run the Atheros AR5BXB112 on Windows 7 or 8? I want to purchase it, my only concern is I'll be siwtching back and forth between ML and the Windows OS and as far as I have been able to search, there are no Widnows drivers for this card. Any help will be gretaly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ps;I know OP has stated it does work in Windows I just want to confirm.