• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
OK, thanks for your patience. I had to take a music break, now I am back. Wouldn't it be nice if I could get this thing done and get back online tonight? Keeping it positive!!!

Thanks for explaining what vanilla meant. I was online with someone with this board and he commented that vanilla was all he ever used with this board so I will stop worrying about voodoo kernels et al.

Although I am still thinking my System/Library/Extensions Folder may have mixed up files in it. I have reinstalled and upgraded so many times now, 10.6.0 turns into 10.6.6 turns into 10.6.8 turns once again into 10.6.0, and repeat... I wonder how many extensions versions have been left behind and how many are really needed?

One thing that worries me is that I have both an AppleHDA.kext and a voodooHDA.kext. Wouldn't that create conflict? remember I am booting in safe mode so that is still conflict going on. I also still cannot get ethernet/Internet working and that is so frustrating as I cant do any real work until I can get back online. If you need a fresh screen shot then I will reboot again and take a picture of what I get. I hate the thought of being locked out again but safe booting worked this time, it should work the next time as well.

If your are there now, can you tell me about the HDA with Voodoo and apple? I also think I was getting an IOFamily dependency conflict?

THanks.

Screen Shots: OK, guess I am still going through it tonight, sigh. I did my best to clear dulicates, etc. Now here is the current screen shot where it KPs. Looks like the voodooHDA I was mentioning. I guess if it already has AppleHDA it doent like voodooHDA? I will see if I can reboot safe and change that.

Screen Shots: OK, guess I am still going through it tonight, sigh. I did my best to clear dulicates, etc. Now here is the current screen shot where it KPs. Looks like the voodooHDA I was mentioning. I guess if it already has AppleHDA it doent like voodooHDA? I will see if I can reboot safe and change that.

ADDED: Sorry the pics are so blurry. The two are the same but the second is worse focused, not better. The good news, I removed VoodooHDA and it booted. Unfortunately there is no internet STILL!!!!! And, sound is grayed out. Sound I can live with for now, internet, Bad news, must get fixed.

I am running the 10.6.8 update right now. Since it is booting again, might as well update if I can.

ADDED: I am beat, will revisit this in the morning. I can boot again reliably, so that is great. But there is still no internet and there is still no sound. I tried the old reatekR1000SL.kext and m=a more modern RTL81xx.kext but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I know it works because at one point, It did work.

Sound is a mystery too. Used to work great, now nothing, grayed out.

Attached Files

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I found a discussion here: Topic Bug? Some kexts only load properly from /System/Library/Extensions/ It seems I am not crazy after all (that's a relief) ;-)

And here is all you ever wanted to know about KEXTS (but were afraid to ask) ;-)

For instance:

This has many implications for kexts, such as ... the ability to load during early boot. Kexts have strict security and location requirements that you need to follow for your kext to work

At this point I have done all I can do to look up missing extensions but just in case my stock system/lib/ext folder is messed up, I installed the 10.6.0 fresh to my RAID drive. I dont plan to boot on that drive as I dont remember how to do the setup for that, still have the extra folders and it used to be I would set a boot flag to the Raid drive from the Raid small Boot drive - better to walk before I can run in this case however ... Anyway, I did that so that now I will take this booted system also down to 10.6.0, hopefully again boot to it, then move my fresh Extensions folder from Raid to Gold Drive and continue updates back to 10.6.8. That could and should eliminate the problems I am having getting sound and ethernet working again on this board. Or at least, then I will know that what Apple things should be in the Sys/Lib/Ext folder will really be in there and when I have to replace a version after that then at least I know everything else is still where it should be (right now I dont).

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
I love that Apple article - so very helpful. :D

For your Internet, there is hope. You are talking about Ethernet, right? If you give me your vendor and device IDs I can get you a new kext. Download this UNIX utility, drag it onto your Desktop, and type:
sudo cp ~Desktop/lspci /usr/bin/lspci
[now you will enter your password; you don't see the password, but just type it and continue]
lspci -nn
and copy and past the output into a document and upload it here.

To fix the /Extra/Extensions issue, most likely all you need to do is rebuild the caches when you add a new kext. This can be done very easily by running Kext Utility after dragging the kext into /Extra/Extensions. Everything will be done automatically.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Not working. I dragged lspci to desktop. I put in sudo cp and dragged the lspci file onto terminal window for correct filepath. That left a space and I typed /usr/bin/lspci

Then, lspci -nn

The first time it asked for a password and I gave it. It said no access or some such. I quit terminal and started a new session, no such file or directory. The About THis Mac shows an Ethernet ID as 8168 but I assume you would trust one from terminal better. This is a Ga UD4p board (Gigabyte) and ethernet (yes I want internet) is built in to it.

From the About this Mac Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8168
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458
Subsystem ID: 0xe000
Revision ID: 0x0003
Link Width: x1
BSD name: en0
Kext name: RealtekRTL81xx.kext
Version: 0.0.90

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Wait...you can see your Ethernet in System Profiler??? That means your Internet problem is not kext related; if it were kext related your Ethernet would not show up at all.

Go to System Preferences and click the Network pane and see what shows up. Take a pic and upload it here.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Yes, there is a blinking yellow light at the jack on this mobo, should be steady green.

ADDED: I already renewed my lease, which is the only way I know to free this pref pane. Once in all this long overhaul I did stumble on getting it to 10.6.8 like it is now and the ethernet just worked. So I wasn't thinking anything about not having it set correctly. I am certainly going to try whatever you can suggest. THanks

Attached Files

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Im IN !!!!!! HALLELUJAH!! You were right, the ethernet was installed properly, but the Network settings needed a reset. Yes, it just worked before, and yes, it was set to automatic for network selection so I thought it was good to go.

But nooooooo, I had to select a new location and THEN renew the DHCP lease and .. IT WORKS again.

OK not 100% better but sure happy I am back online. My Insanely mac page is telling me I do not have javascript enables, never saw that before, wonder what made that go away?

And, sound is still grayed out. I do use tutorials and getting sound working would be pretty important.

Much much thanks and heres hoping the sound will go as easy as the ethernet.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
What a funny error...never got a JavaScript problem before. Try running Software Update.

Install this VoodooHDA package. it will remove any kexts that cause conflicts (AppleHDA and such) and installs Voodoo in its place. If not all of your inputs and outputs are working properly I can help you with that, too.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Sweeeet. Thanks very, very much. Sound has returned.

The (almost) last problem is that the DVD player has gotten very unstable. Not that I have a lot of time at the moment to watch DVDs but, I first noticed problems in my setup when the DVD player started quitting and DVD remastering programs were not reading correctly. I say this beascue it was nt consistent. Was thinking I had a bad drive but I think others had also complained with 10.6.8 DVD drivers.

One really critical challenge I still face is how to get Disk Warrior to be as useful to me as it once was. I know I can still run it from another disk but .. for the time being my backup disk is hosed and, I really need to get DW so it can boot on a DVD just like an apple install disk. I assume this can be done yes, to make DW on a disk so I can boot from it and repair my main drive disks? I know I used to run DW on my Hackintosh it but it always destroyed the boot blocks. I know I can just reinstall but as I have just shown, I loose confidence in doing that and I Would much rather take this learning curve I have just come through and set up a way to not get stuck like I was, ever, again.

Whew, thanks again.

Oh and ps, the javascript error I was getting on these insanely mac pages was the result of my updating Safari and it defaulting to not switching on java or javascript.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
There is a patch for Disk Warrior that makes it more Hackintosh Friendly. It's around here somewhere.

If it's just for repair stuff it's a lot easier to keep a partition on your hard drive that has the Lion installer on it. Or the Snow Leopard install DVD restored (via Disk Utility) to it, whichever you prefer.

You can boot it with the same Chameleon configuration you are using to boot your main installation.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Yes, thanks for mentioning it. I saw it around her the other day, somewhere. I just had bigger fires to put out.

One thing I Have not yet done is run the security update in 10.6.8, Hate to break it again, on the other hand, hate to not update it if that makes it more stable and more secure. Any problems with that update?

Taking some sleep now, will revisit this in the morning.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Absolutely Massive overquoting pruned from topic. Zoro, please trim your quotes.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Absolutely Massive overquoting pruned from topic. Zoro, please trim your quotes.

Point taken. Thanks

Edited by Gringo Vermelho, 03 February 2012 - 12:41 AM.
Very apparently not.

ZoroLives

ZoroLives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Point taken. Thanks

Dude whats with the attitude? I just scanned the whole page and the quoted has been removed. If you are moderating and you ask for a housekeeping call, I am hearing you and respecting you.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,111 posts
Part of my job as a moderator is to keep this place in order. I cleaned up all the redundant quoting in the whole thread because it is basically garbage that future users must ignore and scroll past when trying to find the information they are looking for (and this topic of yours is full of good stuff). Why make people read the same thing twice?

In your reply (post #53) there is a redundant quote. How can you not see that?
Quoting the entire post above in your reply makes it look very much like you either don't understand what I am asking of you, or that you are trying to make a joke at my expense.

In your new post you are now quoting yourself.

So let me ask you again: Stop the madness and please trim your quotes.

These last few posts will self-destruct in five....

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,462 posts
Zoro, an easy way to avoid this is just to use the fast reply at the bottom. :) It's what I use all the time. If you really need the full editor you can always click "More Reply Options".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy