The idea for this post is to try to clearly document the process of my new first built-from-scratch Hack Pro, so that others might benefit. I've been reading insanelymac, tonymacx86, myHack, ox86.net, etc, etc., but sticking at various points, and still need help.
CoolerMaster HAF 932 case
AsRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 motherboard
Intel I7-2600K CPU @ 3.4Ghz (plan to O/C to 4.6Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (2133 O/C)
Lightscribe DVD burner 24x
Radeon HD 6870 2GB Eyefinity 6 graphics card (with 6 minidisplayport outputs)
CoolerMaster SilentPro 700W power supply
Dell u2410m monitors (3 so far, 6 possible) 24" IPS 16:10 1920x1200 resolution
Has Intel HD Graphics 3000; SSE up to 4.2
Asrock Z68 board:
SATA: (4) SATA 3 at 3Gb/s and (6) SATA 3 at 6Gb/s: 2 are controlled by Intel Z68 chipset, 4 by Asmedia 1061
(of which 2 are shared with the eSata port). I've connected the SSD to one of the 6Gb/s by Z68.
AUDIO: Realtek ALC892, and supports THX
LAN: (2) Broadcom BCM57781 chipsets
PORTS: Onboard DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Firewire/1394, (6) USB 2.0, (6) USB 3.0, eSATA
GRAPHICS: 3-way SLI and 3-way Crossfire supported
Radeon HD 6870 Graphics card by Powercolor:
Has 6 mini-DisplayPort outputs, 2GB GDDR5, 900Mhz engine, 1050Mhz memory
Using the InstallESD from the App store
1. Assembled machine. Newegg's build videos (link: http://www.newegg.co...014&PID=3266097 ) extremely helpful. POST beep first time. Nice.
2. UNIBEAST: First tried Unibeast by tonymacx86, which my brotherinlaw put on his Asus slate and got working first time. Not so easy on this build. Got to installer once, but it never completed. On Unibeast page, it suggested entering boot loader flags. After a few hours, figured out that all that is needed on the Chimera boot loader screen is to hit any key, and it will open the prompt. So tried -x -v -s "GraphicsEnabler=No" as suggested possibilities on the Unibeast page, and got to the point where it gives error message "Waiting on root disk".
I dug around and have tried "rd=disk0s3" to try and indicate where to install Lion (the SSD with the EFI partition, the Windows 7 partition, and the 3rd partition waiting for Lion). Is that right? Or should I point it to the USB? Not sure what the rd= flag is asking... Anyways, one of the rd= combinations I tried (aargh, I didn't document which one) then says that the files are READ only, and that to write, I need to type in the commands "fsck -fy" and "sbin/mount -uw" . I tried that, but it just gets to same point and then screen goes black, still not reaching installer even after hours of letting it run. Stuck at this point with Unibeast.
3. WINDOWS 7: Wondered if having a working build (with Windows) would help. Installed Windows7 and updated all drivers and Windows Updates. Everything working well on Windows side. Wow this is a fast machine - boots in about 5 seconds! Used DiskManagement to partition the SSD in preparation for OSX. Now have the EFI (System) Partiton, the Windows 7 Partition, and the unused partition waiting for Lion.
4. UNIBEAST, part2: Back to trying Unibeast. No changes from last attempts - see step 2. Windows still runs fine, by the way.
5. MYHACK: Decided to try myHack. Also a nice application with nice GUI. Tried a verbose boot (-v) at boot loader screen, but after loading the kext files (learning that those are similar to drivers or dll files in Windows), it goes to black screen with a white bar half way across the top. Tried a verbose safe boot (-v -x) and this time it gets farther, but then gets to same error message: "Waiting for boot volume with UUID 1AF86C55-A6A1-3A81-BIFC-72842DD14EEA", then pauses, then "Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID+"1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-medida</string></dict>, then pauses, then "Still waiting for root device" which repeats endlessly until reset. Time to try the "rd=" command again, I guess. At boot loader screen, typed in "-v -x rd=disk0s3" and variations such as rd=disk0, rd=disk0s1, rd=disk0s2, etc, but never gets beyond the "Still waiting for root device" error. I should also mention that the fakesmc plugins and nullcpupowermanagement kext all seem to be indicating that they are installed successfully.
6. MALDON'S STICK METHOD. Will probably try Maldon's stick method here on insanelymac next.... But at this point, since both other methods have given same error about "Still waiting for root disk", I'm thinking that I need to get past that to get to the installer. So for now, will try showing you all the error screen (jpg attached). I'm pretty sure this is an easy fix, if I knew what I was doing. These links: http://apple2pc.blog...oot-device.html and http://books.google........ s=&f=false have explanations that are fairly good, but if I need to point back to the USB drive to boot, I don't know how. The SSD is in the 0 position, according to BIOS.
Please HELP if you can. Trying to make this a post that will be beneficial to others. Thanks in advance!