Mac Pro or PowerMac G5 case mod?

PookyMacMan

12 posts in this topic

Hello all!

So, as I've become well immersed in the Hackintosh world, I thought it might be fun to have a build in a real Mac case. :)

Lately I've been very curious: which would be an easier mod, a PM G5 or a Mac Pro? I'm not necessarily concerned about price, but I do have a couple things I'm fighting with myself on:

I'd really like to have 2 DVD drives (which is only in the Mac Pro), but I'd also prefer to have a full size ATX board (which I've seen can be troublesome in the Mac Pro). So, I'd love to hear people's opinions on this...

Also, can anybody recommend any really good guides? My problem is what operations I can do. I'm comfortable with cutting and drilling, but soldering and wire splicing is out of my range.

I'd appreciate any feedback. :) Thanks.

I would recommend the PowerMac G5 only because there are more guides out there to follow. The two active forums I've come across are here on InsanelyMac and Tonymacx86. Once you get comfortable with process, modding a Mac Pro could be your second project, because once you're done with your first mod, it gets rather addicting. Also, Mac Pro cases are way more expensive at the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I think I'm convinced: PowerMac G5 for Mod 1. I can live without my second DVD drive. :)

Once I can get a little money I think I'll get started. :)

BTW, I think I'll be loosely following the DaveVegas guide on this forum. I just need to make sure the mobo tray is still available....

Front panel cable, one of these, splice it and join your new longer cables. then on the other end get these and these and the single 1x5 and the 1 pin housing too. Use this pin out. And thats it! nice and easy. The front panel audio doesnt work as the jack detection circuits are different. think mac relies on an open circuit when the jack is inserted whereas windows relies on an open circuit when the jack is not inserted. I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you all!

I think I'm convinced: PowerMac G5 for Mod 1. I can live without my second DVD drive. :)

Once I can get a little money I think I'll get started. :)

BTW, I think I'll be loosely following the DaveVegas guide on this forum. I just need to make sure the mobo tray is still available....

The Mountain Mod tray is always available, I just ordered one two weeks ago for another G5 build I am doing.

As for finding a case, ebay has been getting more and more easier to finding cheap ones ever since Lion came out there have been a lot more G5s on there. You might also want to check out DVWarehouse as well.

Glad to know about the Mountain Mods tray. :)

The reason why I haven't bought anything is I'm only in high school (14 yrs old) and I don't make any money, so buying things can take awhile...:)