A question about creating a proper DSDT from Ubuntu 11.04

n7zzt

8 posts in this topic

hello all.

I have a question. I managed to get something resembling a text readable version of a DSDT file in Ubuntu 11.04 using the Firmware Test Suite. what that package generated was a DSDT.dsl file and I am wondering how to convert it to a standard dsdt file as used by OS X snow leopard.

Currently, I am typing from my current OS X installation, but would like to install snow leopard to my Fujitsu Lifebook laptop. I have attached that file below for your parusal. I may need a little help with this as I am totally blind and not every application I use is screenreader friendly.

any help or suggestions on how to convert this file would be of immense help.

-eric

There is no file attached to your post.

.dsl is a decompiled DSDT, it will open in any text viewer in decompiled form. You need to compile it.

You should know that simply extracting your DSDT and placing it in /Extra will not have any effect on anything.

There is no point in doing this unless you are going to patch your DSDT in order to fix a specific incompatibility with your hardware.

well, I thought I had attached a file. also, before a week ago, I had used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] approach. since I am installing (or about to) on an older model fujitsu lifebook, I was hoping to do it without having to source a number of kext files. right now, I have no sighted assistance to even get a model number off that laptop. what i do know is that the cpu is a core 2 duo 1.6Ghz processor and it has an intel chipset and 3 GB of ram. I also need a dsdt patcher/compiler that will work on my current machine. since I have a major disability working against me here, I have no idea if the patcher will even work with voiceover (the screenreader I absolutely depend on here). until these issues can be resolved (such as finding a fellow hackintosh user here in town), I am a bit stuck. I did manage to get the firmware test suite to produce a DSDT.dsl file and it is viewable with a text editor but that is as far as I have gotten.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that I need a bit more help than someone that can just look at the screen. my blindness has a steep learning curve and I am still trying to deal with that I managed to get a clue (this is my edit now). I installed the IASL package and ran that dsl file through it. it generated 1 error and 3 warnings. now all I need to do is source the error and the warnings, make the appropriate changes and save/compile the dsdt to something that snow leopard will understand. I just needed to be hit over the head with a clue bat. :) here is to hoping I can get a good file out of this. it will make installing snow leopard on that machine a lot simpler.as well as learning how to make/compile/install a DSDT file.

thanks

• Like 1

When IASL spits out warnings and error messages they include the line number on which the error occured. Your DSDT editor should allow you to quickly jump to that line number so that you can identify the error. Try pasting the error/warning messages into google, most have common fixes that will work in most cases. Which editor are you using?

I like to use DSDTSE myself. Here's a direct link to the latest version for OS X: http://www.osx86.es/...ivos/DSDTSE.zip

To save you having to navigate this page: http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

Don't be alarmed when your screen reader starts trying to speak Spanish, there's English text further down the page and the editor itself is in English.

There is also a Windows version of the same editor available over there. Obviously I can't say how well it will work with your screen reader. One minor annoyance with DSDTSE is that it doesn't let you use the TAB key to jump between fields (line number, search, et cetera). Not so bad for me but it might suck royally for you.

Anyway, if you post the warnings and errors here maybe I or someone else can bring the cluebat!

Still, it's like I said, chucking a compiled DSDT in /Extra, even with errors and warnings fixed, makes absolutely no difference.

ok, here is the dsdt.txt output for the iasl run this morning. it also spit out a .hex file and a .dat file (those are perhaps from the fwts program run a couple of days ago.

DSDT.dsl   547:					 0x00000000,		 // Length
Error    4122 -							  ^ Invalid combination of Length and Min/Max fixed flags

DSDT.dsl  2129:					 Method (SBLL, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -							    ^ Not all control paths return a value (SBLL)

DSDT.dsl  7053:					 Acquire (MTBT, 0x1000)
Warning  1105 -    Possible operator timeout is ignored ^

I have edited your post and inserted the compiler output in code tags.

The fix for "Invalid combination of Length and..." is documented here: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1458822

Usually you can fix "Not all control paths return a value" by adding a return statement at the end of the code for the part that is mentioned, in your case Method SBLL.

Warning 1105, "Possible operator timeout is ignored" is also well documented but I don't remember the fix off the top of my head.

Additionally, some of these warnings/errors might appear to fix themselves if you use a newer version of iASL.

well, I am using the next to newest version. I hate to go bleeding edge but if needed, I can do so. all I need to do is restart that machine on ubuntu 12.4. that will give me the development release for IASL and FWTS. I will make a dupe dsdt and compare the 2. at least I can run it from a usb stick. that does make my job easier. I seriously wish I had the money and a few helpers. I'd do a lot of updates to the dsdt database (its still useful for those of us not running the latest gear or OS).

I will see if the compiler is voiceover workable.

well, it seems that the editor is completely inaccessible. it won't read me any of the screens and the scroll pane reads back result "unknown". this makes it hard to make changes/compile code and even sabe it to the proper spot.

I think I need some help here guys.

-eric