Dell Precision 690 Workstation DSDT help requested please

pharillion

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I have just got hold of a Dell Precision 690 workstation (BIOS A08) with Intel 5000x chipset and two Xeon 2GHz dual-core 5130 CPUs which in hardware terms is pretty close to a MacPro1,1 although x64_86 capable.

I obtained the DSDT under Linux and patched IRQs as recommended here so that the 631xESB SATA became visible, while adding pci1000,54 to AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext gets the onboard SAS controller recognised.

Unfortunately the DSDT linked http://www.insanelym...e=post&id=62571 seems no longer accessible, so I'd be very pleased to hear from other Precision 690 users especially if they are prepared to share their DSDT which is bound to be better optimised than mine. Thanks in advance to anyone prepared to help me here.

originaldsdt.zip

dsdtpatched.zip

ioreg_dump.zip

I've installed Snow Leopard and Lion on different disks with some success, getting the Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 recognised with an appropriate efi string. There's Broadcom BCM5752 gigabit ethernet onboard but I've almost given up on this with anything after Leopard given that I'd prefer to use SL or Lion in x64 mode. I've added in a PCI-E Marvell 88E8053 card which provides ethernet, again via an efi string.

There are still a number of problems however, an annoying one being that versions of chameleon plus an appropriate smbios.plist seem unable to set suitable MacPro1,1 information. On booting I get a string of messages indicating that the DMI table entries list is full and cannot be added to. Under SL I can sometimes get Chameleon SMBIOS defaults loaded without any smbios.plist but under Lion the Dell dmi information comes through unchanged. Would using an older smbiosenabler solution help?

Even with the latest Chameleon r1718 (r1701 and later have additional support for Xeon processors) then adding GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates to org.chameleon.Boot.plist provokes a reboot as soon as the file is read, so in the absence of any speedstep support in DSDT I'm required to use a disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. AppleLPC.kext does load.

Another perplexing problem is wireless. I've tried three hack-compatible wireless cards, one PCI-E Atheros AR5008 (168c,024) and two Broadcom 43xx PCI cards. Each of them works OTB in my other self-built hack. On the 690 they are all seen in IOREG but none work - no Airport card is seen. The appropriate .kext for each can be loaded by hand but this doesn't help, nor can I change anything by editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Could this be related to the Dell information not being overridden by the ignored smbios.plist?

Yet another problem is that the USB2 ports are listed as Expansion Card rather than built-in. This leads to the classic "AppleUSBEHCI CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep" message. I thought I knew how to patch this with "AAPL clock-id" but the original DSDT is so unlike anything I've seen before that I can't even reliably identify the USB2 ports!

The DSDT is also full of non-Mac entries for parallel port, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, floppy and so on. I'm sure ditching some of these would probably help but I'd be very grateful for specific advice from some of the DSDT experts here.

Phew, quite a marathon post. Thanks to those with the patience to read thus far and especial thanks to anyone kind enough to offer help. As ever I'm grateful to the community here.

• Like 1